The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 31, 2006, 09:39 PM   #1
SpK

Hi-Point Forty Carbine

Anyone know of any issues with the hipoint 4095 carbines such as feed failures or accuracy? I haven't heard much of about these guns. What's the ballistics on the round out of the carbines barrel? Are these good weapons for the money?
Old October 31, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2
hdawson228

I have their C9 compact semi-auto pistol. New but out of the first 400 rounds, not a single hiccup. It's performed perfectly. Fun and accurate.
Old October 31, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3
newcastlejudo

I have one . It was my 1st gun purchase ever. I like it. Mine had a burr on the slide that caused it to fail to feed/fire. I thought of sending it in but instead forced it through amd basically beat the burr out of it. No problems since. It is a blast to fire and shoots where I aim it..I'm still not a great shot yet. But I have some pumpkins out front that are in need of disposal this weekend. For under $200 of course they are great guns for the price. These guns are in my opinion not junk... they also are not going to put a round 300-400 yards out. but within a 100 I can hit at the side of a barn.
Old October 31, 2006, 10:58 PM   #4
rugerdude

I just recently bought the 9mm version of their carbine and I'll give you an honest objective review (or really as close to it as I can).

First off, Mine has been 100% reliable with brown bear ammo (as far as I know, the worst crap you can buy) 100/100 rounds perfectly (not much firing I know, but most guns need breaking in before achieving their full reliability potential, and this one is off to a great start)

Also, the gun comes with a lifetime warranty and the general concensus is that their customer support is top notch.

The gun is CHEAP esspecially compared to other pistol caliber carbines.

The sights are excellent and mine were dead on from the get go, very easy to use and suprisingly accurate (no groups, just me being able to hit whatever I wanted to hit with it)

It actually looks pretty good to me (Seeing the god-awful profile pic on the internet doesn't really inspire hope, but it does look much better in person)

It shoulders extremely well......extremely. However this may vary between different-sized users, I'm 5'10" tall, and 160 pounds.

Now on to the not-so-good stuff:

There's no mystery about why it costs so little, the finish on the internals that I can see (bolt) is uhh.....not there, however the finish on the outside is good. Also, you don't really notice it until you really look, and this does in no way effect the function of the rifle.

I am never going to take it apart for fear of never being able to get it back together, lots of bolts. Doesn't seem to be a problem with merely wiping out the action and barrel once in a while, which is what I'll do.

Bolt lock works, but is pretty ghetto, and I ended up breaking my charging handle because I thought that it was supposed to fit tightly (twisted off threaded part of the charging handle bolt inside the gun's bolt and now mine is held in by super glue......It works great though )

My verdict on the rifle is that it is now my favorite gun out of my 10/22, yugo SKS, Lee Enfiled, Mosin nagant, Marlin 925, Taurus 66, mossberg 500 and Maverick 88.

It is affordable, it is fun and it's cheap to feed. It hits what I want it to and it does not jam. Despite my minor cons it is an outstanding value and I am very happy with mine. It cost me 180 dollars and It was money well spent. I am one happy customer.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old October 31, 2006, 11:01 PM   #5
kozak6

Go for it.

I have the 9mm version, and no problems to report. I don't like how it stings my cheek when I fire it, but that's it.

They also have one of the most awesome warranties ever should you have problems.
Old October 31, 2006, 11:26 PM   #6
silicon wolverine

kozak- mine bites me a little too. pick up the ATI stock and its gone.

Rugerdude- send it in and beemiller will fix your changing handle for free. no questions asked.

SPK- they are one of the best "bang for your buck" deals out there for a carbine. I have a 9mm carbine and it has gone through about 2500 rounds with no problems. only 1 jam and it was a bad round. We've been devolping a drum mag for them based on a suomi drum but its still in R&D right now. you might want ot check out the hi point forums
http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/index.php
i post over there regular and all those guys are really good.

SW
Old November 1, 2006, 12:22 AM   #7
lil_bro

I also have the 9mm carbine and I love it.

Michael.
Old November 1, 2006, 01:45 PM   #8
kenneth owens

I have a 995 carbine. the only failure I have ever had was low powder charge
which would not work the action,other than that not one single problem.it will fire any and all factory loads as well as reloads. great carbine!!! cant wait till the 45 comes out
Old November 1, 2006, 02:31 PM   #9
ffxmike

I have the 995. Bought it used, with the ATI (cx4 knock off) stock. I like it. I prefer my CX4 to my hi-point, but they're both really fun.
Old November 1, 2006, 03:08 PM   #10
dfaugh

Don't know about the 40's but I've put 5000 rounds through my 9mm, mostly Wolf and Blazer (whatever is cheapest)... and I've NEVER had a malfunction...And I've never "detail" stripped it eith, just the usuall cleaning regimen.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old November 1, 2006, 06:54 PM   #11
SpK

Anyone know about the ballistics?
Old November 1, 2006, 07:20 PM   #12
FS2K

Hi-point..

Spk,

The Hi-Points are a good bet, 9mm or .40cal. And yes, the 995 does sting the crap out of your face and I can only imagine the havoc the .40 cal version causes.

Teardown isn't that bad guys, though I'd use a 1/4" rachet instead of the tool Hi-Point provides. Other than the 2 bolts on the reciver cover there's only a slide on clip on the bottom of the gun holding the stock on.

I took off the barrel shroud and front sight post once I fit a red dot on my old 995, it looked allot better until the Advanced Technologies stock came in.

Ballistics and bullet stats will change drastically from brand to brand Spk. I guess the best way to get #'s for the .40 cal Hi-point is to check each individual manefacturers ratings out of a 16" barrel, which I guarantee it is allot faster than any pistol that's for sure.
Old November 8, 2006, 04:08 PM   #13
SuperVepr

Good weapon

I had one for awhile and sold it to a friend. He still has the gun and is still a friend No problems with the 9MM
Ruger .44 Redhawk/Ruger P-89/XD-40
Old February 9, 2008, 02:59 PM   #14
50 cal shooter

hi-point 995 15 round promag

i did a mod on my mags i got from promag stoped the jam up's
2 1/2 turns off top of spring
works real good

i will try to post a photo of the mod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag.jpg (29.8 KB, 390 views)
Old February 10, 2008, 02:24 AM   #15
Crosshair

Here are my two pieces of advice.

1. Factory mags only. Avoid Promag unless you really like fiddling with magazines.
2. Make sure you loads the mags properly. Sometimes the bullets go in the mag funny and can cause a jam by nosediving when the bolt tries to feed a round.
Old April 15, 2008, 03:05 PM   #16
kipnita

I've got the 995 (9mm). Probably the gun in my collection that is the most "fun" to shoot.

Very few jams and fairly accurate.

Looks/feels better with the ATI stock.

I can't decide if I want to mount a red dot or keep the iron sights?

Love the fact I can shoot it in an indoor range.

I would recommend that you get a new charging handle from Bushman. It is larger than the factory handle and doesn't pinch the operator.
Old April 16, 2008, 12:40 AM   #17
DWARREN123

I have the 40 S&W carbine. It does not like Wolf steel case but eats everything else. Good gun for the money.
Old April 17, 2008, 07:31 PM   #18
4095fanatic

Read my screenname . Thousands of rounds (steel cased, brass cased, 165 gr, 180 gr, JHP, FMJ...) you name it, it's shot it. Never had a hitch.