The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 12, 2006, 06:26 PM   #1
clayking

Instruction/Plans for making pistol grips.

Does anyone know of a source for a "how to" make ones own grips? Trial and error would be one way, but a little help up front would save a bunch of time..............thanks...................ck
Old November 12, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Tom2

45 grips

Well I have seen instructions on making the slab grips for the 45 auto, but that is probably the easiest to make, as they are basically a slab of wood that you then refine a bit after cutting the basic outline in some wood that is the proper thickness. Then making the holes for the screws and a clearance cut for the little tube on the left side. Otherwise making grips for revolvers or the like is more like something you would learn in a wood carving class. I guess if you learn how to carve little animals and decoy ducks, you can then handle the complicated aspects of most revolver grips. But it must not be simple, and maybe a carefully guarded secret, so that those makers can charge you 50 bucks for a piece of wood that you could fit in your hand! Otherwise I would say try making a pattern from an outline of your grip frame, and working from there. Oh, and have the woodcarving skills already. Or expensive machinery like the majority of production makers have.
Old November 12, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3
tulsamal

Somebody on the Ruger forum put up this link:

http://www.chipengelmann.com/Grips/MakingGrips.html

Looks like a useful amount of information.

I would like to try it myself someday.

Gregg