The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 2, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Martowski

Worst Handgun Myths/Fallacies

Okay, so I was in a gunshop the other day and overheard a couple of patrons talking amongst themselves. Conversations included:

Conversation 1: "...this is the plastic model, not the ceramic one" (in reference to a Glock).
Conversation 2: "...revolvers can shoot handloads. Don't get an auto, you can't shoot handloads."

Again, these were customers talking to each other, NOT the people behind the counter. However, overhearing this had me thinking about how much I hate certain fallacies when it comes to handguns (most come through movies or the media). By far, one of my least favorites is the "ceramic Glock" myth created by the movie "Die Hard."

Anyway, what's your least favorite handgun myth? I'm sure I haven't heard them all, so I'm interested to hear!
Old January 2, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Hans

That handguns (or firearms in general) kill people!!! :barf:
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Playboypenguin

Handguns do kill people. So do pointed sticks, car crashes, and stairs. they just don't initiate the act.

That being said, the myth that bothers me most is that guns go off by accident all the time. People like to think that just because the people that shot someone tell the police it was an accident that they didn't in actuality lose their temper and try to kill the person then both lie to the police afterwards.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; January 2, 2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:28 PM   #4
tony pasley

Auto-loading rifles are assult rifles
Old January 2, 2007, 09:31 PM   #5
flycaster

Guns can "go off" without even being touched. Sheesh.

Chuck
Old January 2, 2007, 09:34 PM   #6
wayneinFL

I had an old man tell me that the .45 Colt would send a man flying. He mentioned some old cowboy show in which "six men had to pull so-and-so back with a rope to simulate the effect a 45 has on a man".

I didn't bother to explain that was the only way any handgun would send a man flying backward.

The taurus rep and I listened patiently, politely waited for him to walk away, and rolled our eyes.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:35 PM   #7
DarthTedd

Quote:
Guns can "go off" without even being touched. Sheesh.
I've heard this one many times.

The one that gets under my skin is people saying I can't/shouldn't hunt deer with my SKS. The press has gotten after it for no reason. Why don't they get after the M1 Garand? Cost perhaps ... not sure.

Just ... annoying.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:05 PM   #8
raggededge

Sorry, I realize this is for handguns, but I was just discussing this with a friend today: shotguns. Like how they're believed to have a 10ft diameter pattern at a distance of five yards, or that they have no range past ten yards. Also that some people believe the sound of a pump shotgun being racked is such that it will bring all man, beast, and vehicle to a screeching halt. Yes, it can be an intimidating sound, but come on.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:29 PM   #9
G-Cym

Or that a shotgun blast will send a BG crashing through a wall.

Or anything called "cop-killer".
Old January 3, 2007, 10:25 AM   #10
RecoveringGT'er

That you can fire a Glock 18/Beretta machine pistol/etc. full auto and never miss.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:46 AM   #11
PILMAN

Just a few random ones myself from those who are less educated about firearms.

A was showing a friend online that I knew in reallife a picture of my new gun and he was saying "oh yeah I own a 9mm" and I asked him what kind, he said "oh it's in my closet". I asked him if he could get it from the closet and he said "It's my dads and it's at home, I'm not at home I got kicked out of the house". So much for that.

Same guy said "Man I heard Glocks are really crappy, that only like poor black people own them". Not exactly a racially correct comment...considering most Glocks run for over 500.

Another guy I was debating with about gun control was born in Germany, know him in reallife. He said "Oh yeah, Glocks are made out of plastic aren't they?" and I had to explain "polymer" to him and how it was being used in most newly high quality manufactured guns now.

Other than that i've run into the stereotypical "AK47's can be converted to full auto" and stuff like that.
Old January 3, 2007, 11:24 AM   #12
boroif0506

Ak 47

That an AK 47 never jams. I have seen a whole bunch of Iraqi Army AKs jam at the range (Of course it might be because the never cleaned them). Not saying the AK 47 is a bad weapon (they have my respect) there is just two many myths about them. I would be very curious to see what an AK 47 with a 20 inch heavy barrel, peep sights like the M16 family of weapons, and hand loaded ammo could do. If anybody has tried this setup please let me know.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:45 PM   #13
zcarp2

7 yards!

Best one I heard was from a Sheriff's deputy while patting his trusty revolver, "This thing is only good for 7 yards, anything further and you need a rifle to hit!".

And we wonder why some shootings involve 68 rounds fired and 2 hits, neither fatal.

This particular deputy was invited to the range to be proven wrong with his own revolver, politely. He declined, of course.

I am glad not all the deputies are this ignorant!
zcarp2
Old January 3, 2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Martowski

Yeah, you guys got me thinking about some of the other myths I hate.

I get particularly annoyed when people say we should outlaw machine guns. True full-auto weapons, as we all know, have required Class III licenses to own for a VERY long time. The "average Joe" doesn't just walk into a gun shop and come out with an M-16.

I also get annoyed when people assume that because they heard something from a police officer or member of the military regarding a firearm that it is correct. Please don't misunderstand me... I am not bashing the people serving our country in any way, nor am I stating that police and military personnel don't know firearms. I'm only stating that being a police officer or a member of the military doesn't automatically bestow omnipotent firearm knowledge on an individual.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:42 PM   #15
Sriracha

PILMAN,

How did you explain the distinction between plastic and polymer to your friend? My understanding is that plastics are polymers.

-Sriracha
Old January 3, 2007, 02:46 PM   #16
10 MickeyMouse

Assault weapon.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Playboypenguin

Two handgun fallacies that I must ad to this list is one alot of gun owners are guilty of perpetuating.

1. That small children are not strong enough to rack the slide on an auto-loader or pull the heavy trigger on a revolver so it is safe to have the gun in the house unsecured.

2. That a small child can be "taught" to not touch a handgun if the parent expains the ramifications to them so it is safe to leave a handgun unsecured around them.

I know some people will pipe up and say "I taught my 6yr old to not touch guns" but I hate to break it to you. Children do not have the same forthought and reasoning abilities that we have as adults. Children, especially under the age of 10, often act first and think second. So not matter what they supposedly "know is right or wrong" can sometimes not amount to a hill of beans.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:26 PM   #18
BillCA

Oh lawdy, lawdy, hep me to not go on for days with this thread!

1. "Easy availability" of guns -- who's kidding whom?
2. (Insert gun type here) is the weapon of choice for criminals.
3. You should be required to get a permit to own a (hand)gun.
4. "Why can't you just shoot to wound someone?"
5. Semi-Auto pistols are unreliable and jam frequently (esp. the 1911).
6. Snubby revolvers are inherently inaccurate beyond [x] yards.
7. The whole "penis envy" theory about guns and barrel lengths.
8. The 5.56mm bullet will enter your shoulder and exit your opposite side big toe (or some such silliness).
9. Hollow-point bullets = "dum dum" bullets = exploding bullets.
10. If you use JHP ammo, it shows you wanted to kill the person.
11. Hollow-point bullets are inhumane because they're outlawed in the Geneva accords.
12. The 9mm round is as effective, or more so, than a .45ACP or .45 Colt. (no flames, please)
13. Revolvers are obsolete.
14. Any "hydrostatic shock" theory relating to handgun bullets.
15. The grooves in a rifled barrel are there to let gas seep past the bullet, otherwise the gun would explode.
16. "Assault weapons" are inaccurate and only good for spraying bullets to kill people.
17. "Assault weapons" are high-powered rifles.
18. Your (insert gun model here) has no sporting purpose so it should be banned.
19. Your (insert gun model here) has no militia purpose so it should be banned.
20. The (type of JHP) will leave an exit wound the size of a (grapefruit, baseball, basketball, beach ball, etc.)
21. Machine guns are illegal and no one can own them except criminals.

and my least favorite "gun myth"...

Only the police & military need to have guns.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:27 PM   #19
Hedley

Clips.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:40 PM   #20
novaDAK

Quote:
Why don't they get after the M1 Garand? Cost perhaps ... not sure.
Exactly. Remember that if it's an inexpensive gun, it must be dangerous and only used by criminals. An SKS can be had for under 120, so they fall under that category to the gun grabbers.

And remember it was a Porcelain Glock 7 made in Germany and it costs more than what you make in a month.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:47 PM   #21
BobR.

Playboypenguin wrote:fallacies that I must ad to this list
2. That a small child can be "taught" to not touch a handgun if the parent expains the ramifications to them so it is safe to leave a handgun unsecured around them.

I know some people will pipe up and say "I taught my 6yr old to not touch guns" but I hate to break it to you. Children do not have the same forthought and reasoning abilities that we have as adults. Children, especially under the age of 10, often act first and think second. So not matter what they supposedly "know is right or wrong" can sometimes not amount to a hill of beans.

Sorry, but the only one full of beans on this is you.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:56 PM   #22
mes228

Handgun Myths

Model 19 S&W K frame revolvers shoot loose. This, in my opinion, is as rare as Unicorns or Dragons. I've never seen one, and it defames one of the most balanced, properly sized, accurate, carriable revolvers ever made. I've had several large frame Smiths and they were all a step down compared to the Model 19. I think the 2 1/2" or 3" Model 19 is the finest carrying revolver ever made.
Just an opinion, but it based on owning a lot of revolvers.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:58 PM   #23
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Sorry, but the only one full of beans on this is you
BobR,

Put your money where you mouth is and show me where I am wrong. Give me the benefit of your massive psychological knowledge of small children that disputes what I said.
Old January 3, 2007, 05:06 PM   #24
Rugged

1) guns in the house with small children is dangerous.

2) over 10,000 children are accidentally killed anually by handguns

3) .380 is not a potent enough cartridge for defense.

4) the 1911 is god's gift to handgunners
Old January 3, 2007, 05:22 PM   #25
Mark54g

Correction guys

The Geneva Convention does not discuss "dum dum" bullets or anything like that. That goes to the Hague Accords.

I also like
A .45ACP will kill you with a shoulder wound, might spin you around too

or

Its only a .22, he can't hurt you with that