The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
9mmjj

Trying to Decide: Glock 19 or Walther P99

Hi everyone! After doing a bunch of reading, I'm getting close to purchasing my first hand gun. I've got it narrowed down to a Glock 19 or a Walther P99. From what I've found, both are excellent guns. I can get the glock slightly cheaper but I think I like the looks of the P99 a bit better. I'm sure I'd be happy with either gun. What does everyone think? Is one higher quality than the other?

Also, on the P99, which version would you recommend for beginner, the QA or AS version?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old January 22, 2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Mark P.

Walther P99 AS would be my choice easily. Amazing gun.
Old January 22, 2007, 05:01 PM   #3
shield20

I like the P99 in QA. You should pick them both up and check for feel, grip, grip angle and trigger pull.

The QA has a short medium weight trigger (7.5#) that is consistent every shot. It has a nice unobtrusive decocker, adjustable sights, swappable backstraps, very good chamber support, metal mags, great ambi mag release, no trigger safety to worry about. 100% reliable, is accurate and has a near-perfect feel.
Old January 22, 2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Alex_L

+1 to Shield20.
Old January 22, 2007, 05:49 PM   #5
solz56

I liked the way the P99 felt and shot over the Glock when I was shooting rentals.
Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old January 22, 2007, 05:59 PM   #6
shooter_john

I haven't shot or really even handled a Walther, other than the little .22. With that being said, Glock 19 is ALWAYS my recommendation when anyone ask what my recommended handgun is. (For serving multiple purposes that is)
Old January 22, 2007, 06:30 PM   #7
cdsdss

P99as

Its ergos are great. The Anti-Stress trigger is far and away the smoothest trigger system I've ever encountered. I don't mind the Glock, but I find the Walther to have a better trigger and more comfortable fit.
Old January 22, 2007, 06:35 PM   #8
BUSTER51

P99 far and away.
Old January 22, 2007, 06:40 PM   #9
shooter71

if im not mistaken..on the P99/AS..if you dont decock it after its racked..it will be in single action mode from the first rnd to the last..i think that would be tough to remember at times since you dont see a hammer cocked back but once you got in the habit of decocking it. it would come 2nd nature

. i like the older body style on the walthers a lot better than the new design..but the older version is picky on what type lights/lasers it takes, hence the new design, it gets along with more types than the org body style.

i thought about getting one for IDPA and general plinking ..if it came to a one gun fit all..then the Glock would my choice and no im not pro Glock
Old January 22, 2007, 07:48 PM   #10
tango3065

http://www.volny.cz/glock/html/tested.htm

http://theprepared.com/index.php?opt...d=90&Itemid=40

Both are great guns but you wanted opinions and here is mine, no other gun will ever be on par with Glock in my opinion till they have been tested in the exact same tests as a Glock has. Glocks are proven, but either will serve you well.

Old January 22, 2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Zippy06

GLOCK.
I have 3.
At www.topglock.com. Take a G22, add a Storm Lake conversion barrel, and a GLOCK 9mm Magazine. You have a G17. 2 barrels. 1 gun. Barrels are about $ 100. And they have, some other, cool stuff.
For some reason, it appears, that Walther has a following.
I guess, I should try out, a Walther P99.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old January 22, 2007, 08:17 PM   #12
The Body Bagger

G19, without question. Right after the G17, the G19 is the quintessential 9mm.
Old January 22, 2007, 08:35 PM   #13
Ichiro

What's better about the 17 than the 19?
Old January 22, 2007, 09:51 PM   #14
GroovedG19

Both are excellent combat handguns.

I used to own a Glock model 19.If I had to pick, I'd go with the Walther P99 for its superior ergonmics/most comfortable grip.
Old January 22, 2007, 10:33 PM   #15
allenomics

Go with the G19

The G19 is a proven performer and so is the Walther. You should seriously consider the Beretta PX4.

I think you'll find the G19 to be more durable. Its parts can also be found nearly everywhere and are not expensive.

The snap/kick from the G19 is slightly more intense than the G17, the Walther slightly less. The PX4's snap is reduced even more due to advanced technology.

Lab tests show the G19 to be slightly less accurate (25 yards), but its accuracy is very, very good.

I think the grip is better on the Walther.

If you are an experienced shooter or can handle the G19, that's the best value and performance for the money.

I own the G19.

allenomics
Old January 23, 2007, 01:07 AM   #16
dave421

You should check out the S&W SW99 also. It's the Smith version of the P99. Same gun except for small differences (slide for example). Tends to be a bit cheaper. My roommate just picked one up last week used for $300 (Police turn-in at a local LEO store). It seems that they used his hand to design the grip. It's not quite as comfortable for me but it is more comfortable than the Glocks. Also, if you are an accessory guy, the SW99 has a universal rail rather than the Walther-only rail on the P99 (you have to get adapters for the Walther to use standard attachments). Also make sure if you go with one to get the correct mags. Many of them have 10 round mags. The "LE-only" mags that should be more available now are 16 rounders. Also, while the AS trigger is nice and smooth, I wouldn't want one since it is just SO different from anything else I've experienced. I haven't had a chance to feel or fire a QA yet but I think that's what I'd prefer.
For me it boils down to:
Comfort: P99/SW99
Accuracy: P99/SW99
Aftermarket: Glock hands down (sights, holsters, conversions, $$, etc.)
Warranty: Not sure on the P99 but Smith and Glock are both Lifetime
Recoil: Glock (P99/SW99 seems to have a tad bit more recoil)
Price: usually Glock
I would choose the P99 BUT you should really shoot both first to see which fits you better.
Old January 23, 2007, 02:15 AM   #17
mica

P99, better ergo's and more options.

The AS does not need to be decocked and there is a cocked indicator. When decocked it will fire in double action. The QA when decocked will not fire until re-cocked, which only takes about a 1/4" to 1/2" rack of the slide
Old January 23, 2007, 02:38 AM   #18
FS2K

Good choice either way.

The Walther is a really pretty gun. I haven't shot one yet, but they look really good. I know I wouldn't mind having one that's for sure.

Being that this will be your first handgun purchase, chances are it won't be your last. With this in mind, take a little pressure off of yourself and go with what your gut tells you. Both guns seem to be high quality items, and I doubt very much that you will regret getting either.

That said, the Glock 19 is a meat & potato's gun. No frills. It's my opinion that Glock produces the best 9mm handguns available as far as reliability and longevity is concerned. They are truly built to last. The Grip angle's different from what's considered 'standard' and I know that some people just can't shoot the gun well because of it. If you are one of those people, then the P99's more conventional grip angle will serve you better.But if you are one of those people who feel comfortable with the Glocks grip then I would highly recommend the G19 to you. It's a very well balanced gun ad is very reliable.
Old January 23, 2007, 07:23 AM   #19
threegun

Reliability, Accuracy, Durability, and Simplicity, are the reasons I chose Glock. After shooting and/or handling virtually everything else out there the G-19 has no equal. It is the finest overall fighting handgun ever to bless my hand.

The Walther is almost as good and would serve you well also.
Old January 23, 2007, 08:15 AM   #20
ECLIPSE45ACP

I would go with the glock. Great gun.
Old January 23, 2007, 09:48 AM   #21
ShipWreck

I have convinced 11-12 people online in about the past 2 months to buy P99s.... They are awesome guns.

We have a huge walther following at The Handgun Forum. I'd invite ya to come look at some of the past posts their on the P99. The P99 A/S is sweet (the link is in my signature).

Instead of just me posting post comments, U can go there and see dozens of them
Old January 23, 2007, 09:58 AM   #22
Laserlips

FWIW Dept:

It is my personal opinion that Glocks (and the everlite trigger) are best suited to profession leo's and those folks in associated fields. If you check around you will discover that the potential for nd/ad's is indeed much greater with Glocks than almost any other pistol..

I'm NOT anti-Glock, in fact had 2 Glock 26's in the past. I have read where the Glock 19 is a fantastic pistol. If you intend to put in the time to practice and become proficient with a Glock, AND the trigger doesn't bother you, then you cannot go wrong with a Glock.

But..

If you are just a "regular" guy and want a pistol for self defense, with minimum concern for nd/ad then I strongly suggest you handle, and if possible shoot the Walther P99.

I have found in my over 50 years of firearms ownership that the Walther P99c/AS to be the best all around firearm I've ever owned. It is absolutely the most accurate, and the grip ergonomics are fantastic. My complaint with my Glocks was based around the light trigger, and the blocky grip.. The Walther AS trigger/striker is absolutely perfect, and the grip feels like it is molded to my hand. The Walther offers extras that I prefer such as red "cocked indicator", red "loaded chamber" indicator, dual mag release integrated into the bottom of the trigger guard, position of the de-cocker (some folks don't care for this feature, I love it.) replaceable front sights for elevation (included), rear sight windage adjustable, etc.... Just a super overall package.

Hold them both, and if possible shoot them both. If the Glock cranks your clock you will be well served.

I have been so pleased with my compact that I just bought a full sized P99/AS... That's a pretty good testamony. If you wind up preferring the Walther P99 I highly recommend the AS version. You can monitor the various Walther sites (www.waltherforum.com or www.HandGunForum.net/Walther section) and you will see the "AS" is by far the most popular.

With the AS you are looking at 8.8lbs on the DA side/4.4 on the SA/ and 4.4 on the long trigger travel (Anti-stress part) SA. Hard to explain, but fantastic in practice.

Your personal needs in a self defense firearm might be different from mine. For me I require ABSOLUTE reliability, and sufficient accuracy at self defense range (5-7 yards) to place rounds in center mass of threat.

When I got my Walther P99c/AS I took it out back and shot from 5 yards just to see what adjustments might be necessary for poa/poi and found no adjustments were necessary. The picture was taken of the target shot from the first magazine I ran thru the P99c/AS... (The new full size P99/AS accuracy was the same way, but it is a bit larger and offered 15+1 capacity.)

I'm a senior citizen, declining vision, shaky hands... I shot from 5', freestanding, two hands... I was well pleased with the results, and I have a pile of firearms, but none better than my new Walther P99c/AS... (and it's larger sibling).

Finally in favor of the Walther over the Glock, FOR ME.. I just kinda like having something everyone else doesn't have.

Walther produces top quality firearms, and has done so for over a century. I have two P99's, one surplus P1, and one surplus P5.... All are excellent, and the P99's and the P5 offer fantastic accuracy right out of the box.

In case you missed it, I'm well pleased with my Walther's..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
Old January 23, 2007, 10:25 AM   #23
Ausserordeutlich

I'd strongly encourage you to shoot them both. Some of the "opinions" expressed here about the Glock's "everlite" trigger are pretty skewed. Glocks are no more susceptible to unwanted discharges than are any other pistols; there are just more Glocks in the hands of l.e. than any other brand, so you hear more about Glocks.

Nobody who knows much about firearms would use l.e. as an example of a class of folks who know much about firearms.

Just GOT to add: Anybody who "worries" about a Glock's trigger safety needs to look really hard for something about which to worry.
Old January 23, 2007, 10:50 AM   #24
Laserlips

Ausserordeutlich:

Sorry. I should have said "professional leo's" who train sufficiently and on a regular basis.

I don't mind diagreeing with you in regards to the Glock trigger system being any more susceptable to AD/ND's than a traditional DA/SA pistol, as we are all entitled to personal opinions, and these posts represent just that, and that only.

If you seriously think the "everlite" (my words) trigger/striker on the Glocks, and the light trigger pull for the first round is as safe from a potential ad/nd as the heavier first round DA trigger pull on another brand of firearm you are imo incorrect. (note the imo part).

My judgement regarding this issue is based on my personal experience, and that alone. If you feel froggy with your Glocks, that works for me.

I respectfully suggest if the infamous DEA(?) agent who managed to shoot himself in the thigh with his Glock 40, after just declaring he was the only one in the room "professional" enough to handle his Glock had been demostrating a DA/SA firearm the nd would never have happened. Even as dense as he was I don't think he would have pulled the trigger with enough force to overcome a DA trigger pull..

Therefore, he wouldn't be the laughingstock of the firearms owning community, there wouldn't be a nice scar on his leg, and a classroom of impressionable children wouldn't have been traumatized, and possibly endangered by the incident.

If you think any single action, light trigger pull on any firearm is inherently safer than a heavier double action trigger pull regardiing potential for nd/ad then I respectfully suggest we just see things differently on this issue, and doubt either of us will be moving over to the others line of thinking anytime soon..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
Old January 23, 2007, 11:36 AM   #25
govnamac

While both are nice, I personally preferred the grip on the Walther, and having adjustable backstraps is also nice.