The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1
rantingredneck

New P90 - Range Report.......

Just recieved my P90 today from my trade with Old Coastie (very nice fellow and very good to trade with BTW). Went to the range this evening with it with the intent of evaluating both the gun itself and several different ammo choices for SD. Took with me a 50 round box of Blazer Brass 230gr FMJ and a 100 round box of Rem UMC 230 gr JHP. At the range I purchased a 20 round box of Hornday TAP 200gr JHP+P, a 20 round box of Hornady Custom 200gr XTP +P, and a 20 round box of Hornady Custom 185 gr. XTP.

First the ball: 7 yd target mix of slow fire, double and triple strings and a mag of rapid fire at the end.

More ball: 25 yds slow fire. Yes there are three headshots and one miss over the left shoulder.

Next is the TAP. I like it.........One mag 7 yds slowfire.

Next are the two Hornady Custom loads. I shot them both at the same target. Most of the abdominal hits are from the 185 gr. load. I don't know if it was me or the ammo but I had a hard time keeping that on COM. While shooting the 200 +P I had the unfortunate experience of a VERY hot casing going down the front of my shirt. I did a funny little dance trying to get that out!

Next is the el cheapo Rem UMC 230gr JHP. Looks pretty good.......7 yds slowfire.

I have to say I like my new acquisition. It digested all loads with nary a failure as I would expect any Ruger to do.

Thanks again Old Coastie and enjoy the 94!

Last edited by rantingredneck; January 31, 2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 31, 2007, 10:27 PM   #2
ShipWreck

Congrats on the gun!
Old January 31, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3
'75Scout

That's one tough gun you got there.
Old February 1, 2007, 03:03 AM   #4
Donovan655

Real nice gun. The P-90 will be my next purchase and my first .45 cal.

I have a P-94 and I love it.
Old February 9, 2007, 09:29 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Tonight's range work with the P90

Took a trip to the range tonight with the P90 and a few other Rugers.

This first target was shot with three 8 round mags one at 7 one at 10 and one at 15 yards. The few flyers down low were actually shot at 7 yards (first mag of the night and was getting warmed up )

Second target was shot at 7 yards. Each mini target got one full 8 round mag apiece. Best groups by far were in the upper left and lower right corner targets.

This is a closeup of the upper right target with a quarter for size comparison

and a closeup of lower left...

All targets were shot with Remington UMC 230 gr. JHP.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 9, 2007, 09:57 PM   #6
DarthTedd

Quote:
Great gun and great shooting! I have a ? about the picture above. Is the shot the the bottom and to the left your first shot? I tend to do this when I'm warming up. Annoys the crap out of me because let's face it ... if you get up in the middle of the night you won't be "warmed up".
Old February 9, 2007, 10:35 PM   #7
rantingredneck

No, If I remember correctly that was the third or fourth. I usually put the first one or two on target and then get cocky and sloppy and have to correct myself. That target was from the last range session so I don't exactly remember which shot that was. The two slop shots from tonight were numbers 3 and 4 at 7 yds. After that I kinda hit my groove and put them where they should've been.

Old February 9, 2007, 11:15 PM   #8
DarthTedd

Cool ... just means I need more practice. I really need to tighten up my groups.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:29 PM   #9
rantingredneck

Something I've been working on and had been doing "wrong" for awhile is the position of my trigger finger on the trigger. I had been positioning the trigger in the notch of my first knuckle. Then when I squeezed I would pull the muzzle downward with the trigger. I've been focusing lately on making sure the pad of my finger is on the trigger instead. That way I squeeze straight through without so much downward drift of the muzzle. Been doing some dry fire practice like that and focusing more when at the range on the mechanics instead of worrying so much about sight picture. It's making a difference for me.

Old February 9, 2007, 11:45 PM   #10
DarthTedd

Yea, that's a good aspect to work on. I tend to stress the "site picture" quite a bit. It's almost as though I'll concentrate too hard and lose focus. My eyes will get blurry trying to view too hard.

If that makes any sense ... lol
Old February 9, 2007, 11:53 PM   #11
rantingredneck

Sight picture is important but we humans tend to naturally align and center things in our line of sight. I kinda blur out on the sights and focus on the target and then try to get the mechanics right. Before I was focusing so much on the sight picture I was using bad shooting form and it was showing on the target. I still get a bit sloppy as evidenced by some of the targets posted above, but I'm working on that. I shot a target with my P89 tonight that still has me scratching my head. (Notice I didn't post any pictures of it......... ). I managed to keep them all in the 9 ring at least but beyond that there wasn't much to write home about.

Old February 10, 2007, 12:14 AM   #12
DarthTedd

Yea, I get that alot! Anywho, I'll try what you mentioned about site picture the next time I'm at the range (hopefully tomm). Maybe I can get some pictures.