The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 11, 2007, 12:02 AM   #1
Desertscout1

Advanced Soviet Tactical Entry Carbine

I guess everything has to be named something so this is what we named our newest brainchild.

The A.S.T.E.C. is an SKS with features added to make it an affordable, viable alternative to the M-4 with considerably more energy than the .223.

* We have shortened the barrel to 16.5" for lighter weight and fast-handling in close-quarters.

* We have moved the bolt handle to left side for speed, ease of operation and easy loading and malfunction clearing. This is where it should have been to start with.

* Includes an American-made 20-round, detachable magazine which adds 3 parts towards 18 USC 922(r) compliancy.

* Accepts any detachable magazine WITHOUT having to open bolt which unmodified SKS's will not do.

* Rugged Tech Sights added for faster acquisition. Greatly improves accuracy by adding 11" to the sight radius.

* Collapsible, folding or Dragunov stock.

* American-made gas piston and operating rod added to complete 18 USC 922(r) compliancy.

Flash Suppressor, Parkerizing and night sights also available for additional charge.

This is a dynamite little carbine! We've been working on them for a few weeks trying to figure out exactly what we wanted to offer and we started building them about 3 weeks ago. We took a couple of them to a gun show last week and got orders for 7 of them the first day.
If all goes well, we're going to put a couple of them through the paces at Front Sight on 2,3,4,5 March. I'm REALLY anxious to see if they perform as well I think they will.

These pics are not too good but you can kind of get the idea.

Complete gun with collapsible stock and flash suppressor.

Left side of receiver showing bolt handle and Tech Sights.

A view of the top of the receiver

Closer view of bolt handle

SKS with shortened barrel and modified bolt.

2 20-round magazines clamped together. Limited usefulness but the "cool" factor sells a few of them.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old February 11, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2
Hedley

Did you have to do any gas-system mods for the cut-down Yugo to cycle properly?
Old February 11, 2007, 12:33 AM   #3
Desertscout1

Of the 5 Yugos that we have done so far, 2 of them required slight modification. We're testing a few of them tomorrow and Monday and should have a better answer for you next week.
Old February 11, 2007, 02:01 AM   #4
FS2K

It's nice!

I saw a gun similar to this one on Gunbroker.com with an HK front sight fitted. Was that yours too?
Old February 11, 2007, 02:07 AM   #5
USMCG_HMX1

I like it, but I would prefer to keep the charging handle on the right hand side.

It sucks being left handed, but when I use my SKS I like being able to hold it by the thumbhole stock grip and reload/chamber a round with my right.

Are these kits, or do them come ready to fire ?

Kris
Old February 11, 2007, 02:13 AM   #6
RockyMtnTactical

That is pretty awesome. Do you guys have a website?

Did I miss the pricing? I don't recall seeing anything on that.

I like the bolt handle on the left, that's way more ergonomical. I've often asked myslef why the Russians keep designing rifles with bolt handles on the right!!

Shortened barrel is awesome!
Old February 11, 2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Hedley

Is the bolt carrier US made, or a modded carrier? That would be a hot item.
Old February 11, 2007, 03:09 AM   #8
oldbillthundercheif

Dang... I thought this thread was going to be about the new reciprocating barrel / action rifle designs Mr. Kalashnikov has been working on recently. Apparently they have a very high cyclic rate but almost no muzzle rise.

But no, it's a mutilated SKS with a weird stock that takes detachable magazines.

Well, at least it is the least ugly replacement stock for an SKS from the pistol-grip forward that I have seen, but why does it have a collapsible stock instead of a folder? The SKS has no awkward rear spring-tube that has to be engineered around.

If you are selling them for under $100, I would consider buying one...

And then I would remember how much ammo $100 buys and make the better purchase.
Old February 11, 2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Hedley

I agree with you Bill about the T6 stock. It would look much better with a traditional fixed or folding stock from the pistol grip back.
Old February 11, 2007, 08:22 AM   #10
AK103K

They are pretty spiffy, but what real advantage do they offer over a $350 AK?

Quote:
Dang... I thought this thread was going to be about the new reciprocating barrel / action rifle designs Mr. Kalashnikov has been working on recently. Apparently they have a very high cyclic rate but almost no muzzle rise.
I was thinking the same thing Bill.
Old February 11, 2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Desertscout1

Quote:
I saw a gun similar to this one on Gunbroker.com with an HK front sight fitted. Was that yours too?
No, that wasn't ours.

Quote:
I like it, but I would prefer to keep the charging handle on the right hand side.

It sucks being left handed, but when I use my SKS I like being able to hold it by the thumbhole stock grip and reload/chamber a round with my right.

Are these kits, or do them come ready to fire ?
Keeping the bolt handle on the right saves money and yes, they come ready to fire.

Quote:
That is pretty awesome. Do you guys have a website?
Did I miss the pricing? I don't recall seeing anything on that.
I'll have them up on the website next weekend. I just haven't had time to do it yet.

Quote:
Is the bolt carrier US made, or a modded carrier?
It's a moddified carrier but there are still enought US made parts to make the gun 922(r) compliant.

Quote:
Well, at least it is the least ugly replacement stock for an SKS from the pistol-grip forward that I have seen, but why does it have a collapsible stock instead of a folder? The SKS has no awkward rear spring-tube that has to be engineered around.
You obviously didn't read the first post. It IS offered with the folding stock but, overwhelmingly, people choose the collapsible stock.

Quote:
If you are selling them for under $100, I would consider buying one...
Isn't a little early to be taking the kind of drugs you're on?

Quote:
I agree with you Bill about the T6 stock. It would look much better with a traditional fixed or folding stock from the pistol grip back.
Your question was answered above but I will add that the guns were made to provide a practical rifle, not one that looks good. Response has been pretty overwhelming so I guess everyone doesn't share your views.

Quote:
They are pretty spiffy, but what real advantage do they offer over a $350 AK?
*Bolt handle on left side.
*Bolt hold-open device.
*Longer sight radius and improved accuracy with rear-mounted sight.
*Option of using detachable or fixed mags that can still be loaded with stripper clips.
*Operation of safety without losing your firing grip.
Old February 11, 2007, 12:19 PM   #12
AK103K

Quote:
*Bolt hold-open device.
*Option of using detachable or fixed mags that can still be loaded with stripper clips.
*dont see what it really matters
*dont need it
*no argument on the sight radius, although i dont see much difference between my SKS and my AK's using the open sights. Then again, I have cowitnessed Aimpoints on my AK's, so that trumps iron sights of any sight radius. Come up with a Ultimak type upper handguard for that, and you might be on to something.
*30 round AK mags? Dont really see the point to the strippers if you have mags.
*I can work both the safety and mag release on my AK's with my hand on the grip, and I dont have big hands. My mags drop free without assistance too.

I'm not knocking what you've done, I think its pretty cool. I just dont see its better than what already exists, and for less.

Now make a stock like that with a full side folder for an M1A, and you'll really be onto something.
Old February 11, 2007, 12:43 PM   #13
Hedley

Quote:
Quote:
Your question was answered above but I will add that the guns were made to provide a practical rifle, not one that looks good. Response has been pretty overwhelming so I guess everyone doesn't share your views.
I wasn't knocking on you about the stock. I know you don't make it. I just never understood why Tapco decided their SKS stock should need an M4-style collapsable butt stock. I know it is by far the best looking non-fixed stock on the aftermarket(allthough I do have a love/hate with Ramline's Strong Arm).

And I'm with AK 103 on this.

Base Norinco: $150 ($200+ for a 16.5")
Flash Supressor: $30
T6 stock: $80
Mag: $20/each
Gas piston/op-rod for compliance: $35
Tech-Sights: $45(TS100)-$60(TS200)
Parkerizing:?
Barrel cutting and recrowning and threading:?

So you're looking at about $360 for a 20" SKS with one mag before parkerizing? That's more than a WASR, complete with accessories and a bit of ammo.
Old February 11, 2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Desertscout1

I was going to detail it out for you but decided against it. Personally, I think the AK's about the ugliest and most user-unfriendly gun ever made but they are remarkably reliable. If anyone ever wanted to stack the ASTEC against an AK in a moderately rigorous contest, bring it to Front Sight and put it through a 4-day rifle class along side mine and then you'll have some room to talk. Otherwise, it's nothing more than internet hype.
It all falls under that "different strokes" thing, guys. If you don't like the ASTEC, you are certainly not obligated to order which means that we'll be able to get someone else's out to them faster.
Old February 11, 2007, 04:30 PM   #15
AK103K

Quote:
Personally, I think the AK's about the ugliest and most user-unfriendly gun ever made but they are remarkably reliable.
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, I'll give you that, but the "user unfriendly" part I'll strongly disagree with. If you took just a little time to learn it, its not near as bad as all the "internet hype" otherwise. If Front Sight was near, I'd be happy to take you up on the offer.

For something so user unfriendly, its about the longest lived combat rifle platform still being issued, and in many configurations. It must have something going for it.

Like I said earlier, I think your ASTEC is pretty cool, and if I had a spare whatever it costs (since you wont tell us ), I might give one a try, just for something different. But your going to have a real hard time convincing me to give up any of my AK's for it.
Old February 11, 2007, 04:48 PM   #16
Marcus

Interesting. I`ve had a few SKSs and a converted Saiga with all the best goodies. I just traded a Yugo with all the US compliance parts and the T-6 stock last week. I really liked the stock. I`m a tall guy and the length of pull worked my better for me. The M249 style grip felt great too. The gun shouldered very naturally. Nice and beefy too. Mine had a std. length barrel with a one off Phantom style muzzle brake. It looked pretty cool but it was about 1 1/2 miles long overall. The Tapco mags had just come out and I never got to try them. The USA mag I used in mine (to make parts count) frankly stunk. It was clunky to lock in place,flimsy and didn`t allow use of stripper clips. I`m told the Tapco mags are much better. You may have already covered 2 of the things that made me trade mine. BTW if you`re building these on Yugos shouldn`t it be AYTEC? Left side bolt is a neat mod.
I ended up with a factory SKS-M 16" carbine made to take regular AK mags.
The sights look like a great mod. I may try a set of those on the M.
Best of luck with it,if the new mags are 100% I`d gladdly take your gun over a WASR 10. Marcus
Old February 11, 2007, 04:59 PM   #17
oldbillthundercheif

What did you mean by that drugs comment, eh?

It's a piece of plastic... Why don't you tell me why the stock should cost more than $100.

You are getting pretty defensive about your little rifle considering you are the one who posted info about it on a public forum, especially since this same sort of modification has been done by every bubba on the block. This means that there will probably be differences of opinion.

If you can't handle the negative feedback along with the positive you should not have asked for opinions. I sure as hell would not want my rifle customized by someone who is unwilling to listen to criticism and at the same time tosses out snotty remarks left and right...

You need thicker skin if you are going to design firearms (well, not really design... adding a bunch of plastic doohickeys would seem be a more apt description of your work).
Old February 11, 2007, 05:21 PM   #18
HiltonFarmer

Quote:
For something so user unfriendly, its about the longest lived combat rifle platform still being issued, and in many configurations.
Just over a million AK47s were manufactured in the world. Too bad it had the BG gun reputation. Works in all environments and never seems to fail from all accounts that I've read. Minimal parts and and maximum durability. Can the same be said for your mod?

How many of these ASTECs do you have orders for? Sorry, I was comparing apples to apples.

Not my cup of tea but then again, each to their own.

HiltonFarmer
Old February 11, 2007, 05:37 PM   #19
Cpl Punishment

You haven't listed a price. . .any details?

Personally, I'd prefer a folder like this:

I think most "prefer" the M4-style stock because of looks. A folder is more practical -- it folds down smaller than any collapsable, and makes it easier to covertly transport.

Not bashing, but to reference the "advantages" over an AK:
Quote:
Neither of these matter if you run the AK like the Russians do. The firing hand never leaves the pistol grip. You reach over or under to work the bolt, and the safety is operated by reaching under. Also the safety goes off when you leave the wire, and goes back on when you return, the rest is trigger discipline. And no, they don't have negligent discharges. These things only become problems when you try to run an AK like an AR.

Quote:
*Bolt hold-open device.
Nice, but not necessary. The trigger goes dea, you reload.

Quote:
A definite improvement.
Quote:
Nice to retain stripper clip loading. One of the nice things about clip fed weapons, is you can carry a lot of ammo without the weight of the magazines.
Old February 11, 2007, 05:57 PM   #20
rugerdude

I like it, but I wouldn't be willing to pay the cash for it. I love the SKS, and I even have my own modded tactical rifle made from a yugo, but with the akward mags and the extra cost of the barrel cutting, I don't see a large market for it.

I must say also that I'm kinda suprised at the responses here. C'mon people, lets not bicker or add any overly negative remarks, there is no need for that here.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old February 11, 2007, 07:29 PM   #21
AK103K

From a similar thread over at THR, for those interested in the price.

Quote:
The complete rifle is $595.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=254451
Old February 11, 2007, 07:37 PM   #22
Desertscout1

Quote:
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, I'll give you that, but the "user unfriendly" part I'll strongly disagree with. If you took just a little time to learn it,
Granted. That's why I prefaced my post with, "Personally, I THINK..." And if something takes time to "learn" it, I don't consider it particularly user friendly. But that's just me.

Quote:
For something so user unfriendly, its about the longest lived combat rifle platform still being issued, and in many configurations. It must have something going for it.
I agree...but I still don't like them.

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I think your ASTEC is pretty cool, and if I had a spare whatever it costs (since you wont tell us ),
The complete rifle is $595. The basic rifle with all the after-market parts will run you around $385 including shipping for parts. That leaves $210 to what we do to them.

Quote:
But your going to have a real hard time convincing me to give up any of my AK's for it.
I don't try to make people change their personal opinions. If what you are using works for you, there's no reason to change.

Quote:
The Tapco mags had just come out and I never got to try them.
So far, we have had 100% success with them.

Quote:
BTW if you`re building these on Yugos shouldn`t it be AYTEC?
We based the name on the fact that the gun is of Soviet design.

Quote:
What did you mean by that drugs comment, eh?
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the rifle, not the stock.

Quote:
If you can't handle the negative feedback along with the positive you should not have asked for opinions. I sure as hell would not want my rifle customized by someone who is unwilling to listen to criticism and at the same time tosses out snotty remarks left and right...
I didn't ask for opinions but I sure don't mind listening to constructive criticism. It's the few smart-a$$ remarks that I don't pay much attention to.

Quote:
You need thicker skin if you are going to design firearms (well, not really design... adding a bunch of plastic doohickeys would seem be a more apt description of your work).
Anyone can add the after-market parts. It's the bolt and gas system mods and cutting and crowning that most folks can't do in a home workshop.

Quote:
Just over a million AK47s were manufactured in the world. Too bad it had the BG gun reputation. Works in all environments and never seems to fail from all accounts that I've read. Minimal parts and and maximum durability. Can the same be said for your mod?
Since we've making them for about a month, what do you think? The reliability of the SKS hasn't been altered any.

Quote:
How many of these ASTECs do you have orders for?
We have sent 4 out so far and have, I think, 5 in the shop right being built right now and 3 other confirmed orders.

Quote:
Neither of these matter if you run the AK like the Russians do.
We don't. That's we changed them.

Quote:
I think most "prefer" the M4-style stock because of looks.
Agreed but the adjustable length of pull appeals to some also.

Quote:
A folder is more practical -- it folds down smaller than any collapsable, and makes it easier to covertly transport.
As I've said 2-3 times, a folder is also offered but some folks, including me, don't like them. That's why there are three choices.
Old February 11, 2007, 07:49 PM   #23
oldbillthundercheif

Hahahahahahahahhahahhahahaha!

Six hundred dollars for a modified SKS? That's the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

I actually thought it would be a pretty nice little carbine if it was priced to compete in the entry-level AK market range ($300-375), but I doubt you will find much of a niche if you try to sell them for double that.

If you think that that is a "smart-a$$ remark", you are right. It is a smart remark and you will be loosing lots of $$ in very short order.

People with $600 to blow on a rifle are not the people who buy SKSs. They don't even consider them an option unless they want three rifles for their six hundred.
Old February 11, 2007, 08:09 PM   #24
AK103K

Quote:
And if something takes time to "learn" it, I don't consider it particularly user friendly. But that's just me.
C'mon, this is getting a little silly now....EVERYTHING takes time to learn, even a single shot rifle. I've owned and or operated just about any military type rifle you can think of, and every one of them required some time on them to get them down to the point of proficiency. The SKS is no different, and actually, your making it so, since a modified SKS WILL require time to adjust to for someone who is familiar with an unmodified one.

I own and shoot both the SKS and the AK. The SKS is a good little rifle, but the AK replaced it for a reason. You can change the SKS all you want, but it will still never be an AK.
Old February 11, 2007, 08:37 PM   #25
Desertscout1

Quote:
People with $600 to blow on a rifle are not the people who buy SKSs.
I'll be sure and let all the people know that have already ordered.
The content of your post is groundless. There thousand sof people that put enough after-market stuff on their SKS to make it worth nearly $400, including the cost of the rifle. Nothing new there. We just add a couple hundred dollars worth machining and mods. Not really that hard to believe. The VEPR's are really nothing more than glorified AK's and they cost $600.
Les Baer has rifles that cost $2-3,000 and on one of them he guarantees 1.5" accuracy. Big deal. I can make most any .30-30 shoot that well but people still buy them. I wouldn't but there are still those that will. When you can guarantee less than .5", then maybe we'll talk. It's all in what folks want and are willing to pay for.

Quote:
You can change the SKS all you want, but it will still never be an AK.
I don't know why you insist on harping on this. I'm not trying to make an AK. Infact, that's about the last thing I want to do. I also am not trying change anyone's mind or make think like I do. I don't care. Out of nearly 300 million folks in the US, there will plenty that like the idea. We just started building them and we're already swamped. If you don't want one, please do not order one.