The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2007, 11:36 PM   #1
psdan000

what do you think of kel-tec

im thinking of buying a kel-tec PF-9 9mm. looking for something inexpensive, reliable, lightweight and somewhat compact to carry. kel-tec seems to have what im looking for. my girlfriends dad has their p-11 model and he loves it. just trying to get some other opinions. thanks
Old February 17, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Dreadnought

From what I've seen: POS. I don't have one, but friends do.
Old February 17, 2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Lurch37

This last Monday I took my concealed carry class and one of the guys there had a Kel Tec in .380. During the class we were all instructed to lay our firearms on the tables in front of us with the slide locked back to show they were unloaded. This guys Kel Tec would not or could not lock the slide back. I'm not sure if this is the way they all are or just his. Once out on the range during qualifying he had some failures. I was not in his group so I don't know exactly what the problem was so I won't speculate. It was however, very cold, as in, about the mid 20's. I did see his target and the holes were all over the place. Maybe it was the weather, maybe the guy shooting, maybe the gun. I wasn't impressed with it other than its small size. The guy did qualify and passed the class with it though.
Old February 17, 2007, 01:48 AM   #4
EIGHTYDUECE

I have a P11 and it works great. Never has jammed and is very accurate.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old February 17, 2007, 03:17 AM   #5
chris in va

No problems with my P11. I hear the PF9's trigger is better. That's my only gripe about mine.
Old February 17, 2007, 03:41 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

I have 3- P32s. They work great.
I have 2 P3ATs. Haven't shot them.
I have 2 P11s. They work great.
Bill
Old February 17, 2007, 04:25 AM   #7
9x19

I only have first hand experience with the P-32, P-3AT, P-11 and P-40, but all of them have been excellent performers for me.

I think Kel-Tec is a good company, with good products and excellent factory support.

I'll be looking for a PF-9 at the next gun show...
Old February 17, 2007, 06:21 AM   #8
pap1105

kel tec

i have a p32 and no problems so far . about 100 rounds of FMJ. carry it every day.
Old February 17, 2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Sturmgewehre

I had a P3AT for about 300 rounds. It couldn't go two magazines without a failure of some sort. I tried all the factory .380 the store had in stock trying to find something it liked, and it never got any better. The gun also had the most vicious trigger slap of any auto loader I've owned.

I sold it to a friend who thought he could "fix" it. He sold it a couple of weeks later.

In my opinion, they are very poorly made and it's a coin toss as to if you'll get one that actually works or not.

Even if you got one that worked out of the box, given the poor quality exhibited in my pistol, I doubt the gun would survive 2,000 - 3,000 rounds.
Old February 17, 2007, 10:38 AM   #10
sanson

I've handled 2 keltecs and hated both. maybe there is a good one I haven't seen
Old February 17, 2007, 11:22 AM   #11
Mark B

I had a Grendel P10, the predecessor to the Keltec. That gun was such worthless piece of junk I am permanently soured on the entire line. They may have improved over time but I cannot put faith in them.
Old February 17, 2007, 11:28 AM   #12
axslingerW

My P-11 has been flawless. Never a failure in the few hundred rounds I've fired through it.

edit to add: The P3at has no slide stop it is not supposed to lock back.
Old February 17, 2007, 02:13 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Sturmgewehre
What is "trigger slap?"
I have a P11 9mm with over 5000 rounds through it. It shows no sign of unreasonable wear. Same basic design as the P3AT, except much more powerful cartridge.
Bill
Old February 17, 2007, 02:19 PM   #14
CajunBass

I had a P-11 that I put about 1,500 rounds through. It jammed a couple of times when it was brand new, shooting some range reloads. With factory ammo, (WWB, American Eagle, Rem-UMC) it never bobbled. It was somewhat hard to shoot because of the long trigger pull, but after a few hundred rounds the trigger smoothed up a lot. I never tried to shoot anything past 7 yards with it, but it shot as well as I thought I could shoot it at that distance. Call it "minute of bad guy."

The only reason I don't have it now, is I saw a Smith & Wesson 39-2 I wanted, and traded the P-11 in on it.

And IIRC, the p3at, doesn't lock the slide back. The P-32 does.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 17, 2007, 03:02 PM   #15
smoothpull

My experience

I have two kel-tec guns the .32 and the sub-2000. Now neither are that sexy but I bought them to shoot. The .32 is a nice carry gun when you have to have something small to fit in a suit pocket and not likely to get patted down. The sub-2000 in .40 glock has been a dream to shoot. Hey at $289 for a gun that folds...yea it has a little wow factor at the range. Have put some rounds through it and really enjoyed shooting it.
Old February 17, 2007, 10:08 PM   #16
marshall2

Kel-Tec pistols

The P11 in 9mm is the oldest and most reliable KT model. Really, it is a fine gun, but the trigger is STRONG AND LONG.

Http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal.htm

The P3AT is also excellent. The slide does NOT lock back after the last round. This is the best gun in the world for ccw in your pocket.

http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal2.htm

The PF9 is a new model, and seems to have some bugs, as I read the KT forums. I would wait a year before getting one.

KT customer service is excellent, and if you get a pistol with problems, you can rely on KT to fix it asap.
Old February 17, 2007, 10:36 PM   #17
outlaw6

I'm very happy with my P-11 and my P3AT.

The PF-9 is on my short list but I'm waiting until they get all the bugs worked out of it.
Old February 17, 2007, 11:12 PM   #18
mdell2

Great

I have the .380 and it has been flawless. Make sure you do the break in and use good ammo. It works great. I also had the SU-16 and it was amazing. Never a problem but I have since sold it for a M-4. Kel tec's are very good.
Old February 18, 2007, 05:27 AM   #19
wilson133

The Kel-Tec guns are designed to be the smallest and lightest they can be for the given caliber, and they do that job well. The P3-AT is not a beginner's gun as it has considerable recoil for it's size and is easy to limp wrist. I wore mine out, I like to shoot my guns, and it is now visiting the factory. I fail to understand the sense of bitching about one that doesn't work when the factory will stand behind their stuff 100% and all you have to do is have it sent back to them to get it fixed for free. This is whether you bought it new or used.
My P-11 has been rock steady, whether in 9mm or .40S&W, I have a conversion kit. The trigger takes some getting used to, i.e. you have to learn how it works, but I feel safe from accidental discharges due to length of pull. I've put several thousand rounds through it and it just keeps chugging along.
Old February 18, 2007, 10:26 AM   #20
Hans

Some people swear by them, some people hate them. I had a P3AT, the gun quit functioning after about 40 rounds. Got rid of it. I might be willing to try a P32, since people seem to have better success with them, but I will probably buy a Seecamp instead. Even though I don't particularly like them, though, there sure are lots of people that do, so they can't be all bad.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old February 18, 2007, 10:58 AM   #21
kristop64089

trigger problems...

i have had a p-11 for 5 years w/ 1500-2000 rnd thru it...b4 that it was an l.e.o. backup. no problems until now. Which has me buying a new backup while this goes to factory....trigger doesn't always reset....so some pulls will strike...some pull strait thru...had the pressed on front sight dissappear, factory sent me a neew one at no cost....and bluing has wore off slide, think while it is at factory may have them parkerize it....so all in all i'd say they are ok.
Old February 18, 2007, 11:07 AM   #22
JDG

My P11 is 100% reliable, but the trigger needs getting used to. After alot of range time, I can rapid fire it, and get 11 hits on a 14"x 8" steel plate, at 21'. Not a target gun, but a great ccw tool.
Old February 18, 2007, 11:11 AM   #23
Laserlips

Well, here's this old farts opinion.

First, I have two KelTec's. I have a P11 & a P32. Both have been 100% reliable, and accurate enough at self defense range. (5-7 yards).

It is my personal opinion that if you are looking for a reasonably priced, very light pistol for cc, to be carried a lot, and shot a little, a P32, P3AT, or P11 is an excellent choice. If you are planning on running thousands of rounds thru your cc firearm you should look elsewhere.

Keep in mind that the KelTecs are extremely small, light, and relatively inexpensive. By their very nature IMO they simply cannot stand up to constant use, and you fooling yourself if you think they will. I'm not saying some of them haven't lasted thru extensive use, but in general I don't think most will be able to. That's the bad news. The good news is that KelTec has a wonderful Customer Relations reputation and if you wear your KT out they'll fix it, forever, or give you a new one.. No charge.

So, IMO (actually my old fart opinion) if you want a KT for cc, buy a new one. Run a couple of hundred rounds thru it, and if it is reliable to your satisfaction, clean it, load it up, and put it in your pocket. Every few months shoot up your old mag. full of ammo, reload w/fresh stuff and you are good to go. Don't expect it to be a 10,000 rd, target pistol because it's not designed to be that, and you will probably be disappointed. Having said that, I love my two KelTecs, but they are not my first choice for personal defense if I have a better option..

Again IMO for reliablity over the long haul I think the good old S&W J-frame (or Colt D-frame) snubbys are almost unbeatable. My Airweight Bodyguard w/ Crimson Trace Lasergrips IMO will go bang, very accurately, for a long, long time. I change the battery's annually just to be cautious, but for cc and accuracy at self defense range the 638 is hard to beat.

As for the new slim KT PF-9, I would avoid it like the plague at this time. It was released with numerous bugs, and I wouldn't have one. The P11 has a history of reliability, offers more rounds and would be my choice, if I didn't already have one.

My sole complaint is that KetTec seems to use it's customers as "beta testers" on it's new model pistols. That was so with the problemmatic first series of the P3AT, and the same thing is happening all over again with the newly released PF-9. Some folks find pleasure in "fluffing and buffing" a new pistol that isn't reliable, but I'm not one of them. I want, and expect, the firearm that I might have to use in defense of my life, or that of my family, to work right... All of the time, right out of the box.

My Walthers do that. My Sig does that. In fact my two KelTec's have done that, but I've read a LOT of complaints over on www.KTOG.com, or www.KTRange.com where other folks weren't so lucky.

KelTecs are what they are. If you get a good one, carry a lot, shoot a little you are in pretty good shape. KelTecs are not junk.. But truthfully they don't have the reliability or durability of more expensive firearms. It's YOUR life, you make the call.

I prefer to carry my Walther, Sig, or J-frame all the time if I can. If I get into a circumstance where wx, wardrobe, etc. dictates a very small cc then my KT P32, (or NAA Guardian) gets the nod.

Just my old fart opinion..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
Old February 18, 2007, 03:50 PM   #24
NCHornet

I looked at the P3AT prior to buying my Sig P232 and it was really junky!! The finish on the slide looked like a poor spray paint job, the grips were rough plastic that cut into your hand. Overall the fit and finish was very poor, but what do you expect for $250. Many boast that KelTec has the best customer service and repair dept, but I would rather buy a gun that I don't have to find out about their customer service and repair devision. The Sig was the right choice for me, man what a beautiful gun!!
Old February 18, 2007, 04:00 PM   #25
yomama

When I got mine, the store owner spoke with me, saying there is a reason they are only 250. Most people don't know about them yet. They listen to everyone who has never owned one, and go with a much more expensive purchase.

The secret is as he told me, this is by far one of the best concielment guns there is. Lightweight, holds 7 (.380), one in the chamber. Can go anywhere you go. Lifetime guarentee, and in addition the store I bought from tries to fix it first, then sends to Kel-tec if they can't figure it out.

The finish, who cares? It's rough and is not pretty. Some need this in a carry gun, but I don't. It's all utility, no money went into the looks.

Lastly, I know a guy who bought one just to torture it and break it. Some 7 thousand rounds later, no problems, and he's now considering carrying it.