The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 3, 2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Lurper

Grip video.

I promised some people here that I would shoot a video on transitions this week I was not able to do so, because the Cowboy Action Shooters needed to set up their match. So, just so I can post something, here are some excerpts from a video on grip. I will do transitions next week.

Whenever I post something about grip or stance, it always seems to create a bit of controversy. This is how I was taught to shoot, it is how the greatest shooters in history (Shaw, Leatham, Enos, Jarrett) shoot and I believe it is the best way. Is it the only way? No. However, before anyone attempts to convince anyone else that it doesn't, this applies to whatever situation you may need a handgun for. Competition, recreation or self-defense.

Unfortunately, due to time constraints on Photobucket, I cannot post a video that covers grip and stance. So this is just part of the puzzle. Enjoy.

Old March 3, 2007, 04:01 PM   #2
685cmj

So I have a question...not an argument, just a legitimate question. I was reading one of Massad's books the other day and he devotes a chapter to the grip, and, if my old memory doesn't fail me, I think he calls it the "crush grip". He wants that gun crushed so that the fingernails turn white (he actually has such a picture in the chapter). You call for a light grip...obviously there is a major difference here between Massad and yourself. For those of us who love to analyze, would you give the reasons for the grip you advocate and discuss some advantages you see in your grip against Massad's? Thanks!
Old March 3, 2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Lurper

Sure 6,
What you will eventually run into is a philosophical difference based on beliefs. DISCLAIMER: What I am stating here are my beliefs. My beliefs are based on actual experience in shooting. They are in no way shape or form meant to detract from anyone's experience or belittle or demean anyone in any way. Do I believe this is the best way? Absolutely! Is it the only way? No. But it is the only way you will ever be able to achieve your own maximum potential or shoot like the World Champions of practical shooting.

I was originally taught to shoot by Ray Chapman, so I learned Weaver/Chapman, isometric tension, etc. Then I switched after that. Here is a fact: It is undisputable and provable. No one can keep a gun from recoiling, no matter how strong they are or their grip is. The impulse is too strong too fast. So, you have to learn how to use that to your advantage.

Your body and mind perform at their peak when you are relaxed. Ask a boxer or martial artist what happens when they tense up in the ring. So, the key in performance (in this case shooting) is to do it the way your body was designed to. Your body can't be relaxed if you are "crushing" the gun. Also, your grip cannot be neutral. If your grip/stance is not neutral, you will exert undue influence on the gun and won't be able to drive it. Also, the gun will exert undue influence on you. Here is a simple demonstration you can do with a friend:
Get in a Chapman stance for example or one that requires you to lock your arms, wrists, shoulders or isometrice tension (push w/one hand pull w/the other). Extend your arms as if you were hold in a gun, using the same technique. Have your friend push on your hands. Watch what happens. You will see that the push goes through your entire body. The gun in essence is driving you.
Now, get in a natural stance (I won't go into great detail here). Stand with your feet roughly shoulder width apart. It should be a position that you would be comfortable standing in all day. It will be similar to an isoceles stance except typically, the weak side foot is a little forward. Extend your arms like your were holding the pistol (don't hyper-extend). Keep your wrists straight (their natural position), elbows and shoulders relaxed. Now have your friend again push on your arms. Your elbows will move like shock absorbers, but the rest of your body will be unaffected (this is what allows fast follow up shots). It is just like one of the principles of Aikido: don't give up your center. In Aikido, if someone grabs my wrist for example and I tense up, they have my entire body. If I don't tense up, they only have my wrist which allows me to use their force to my advantage.

As far as the actual grip goes, there is no need to grip the gun tightly. It isn't going to jump out of your hand. In fact gripping tightly is counter productive. Here is another little demo you can do by yourself:
Hold the pistol out in front of you. Have some point of reference relative to the muzzle position. Start squeezing the gun like you would a lemon and watch the muzzle. You will see the muzzle start to tremble. The tighter you grip the gun, the more the muzzle will tremble. The grip strength does nothing that helps you shoot either faster or more accurately. Watch some of the bullseye shooters. The ones with the pistols that have the grips that are made to fit their hands. They slip the gun on like a glove, hold it up, relax, control their breath and press the trigger. They know what too much grip will do.

When it comes to shooting fast, grip strength is also counter productive. The best analogy I have is a hammer. Watch a rookie carpenter swing a hammer. He will look stiff and he will probably be stiff-arming the hammer. You can see that he is trying to drive the nail in. Now, watch a Journeyman. He will look relaxed, his arm won't be stiff and you will see that the hammer is driving in the nail and the Journeyman drives the hammer. He will be so smooth, that he will make it look easy. Shooting is the same way. You can't drive the gun if you are tense or in some unnatural position. Let the gun do the work, drive the gun. In order to do that, you have to be relaxed.

The philosphical differences arise because people want to tell you that shooting is different if you are shooting competition than if you are shooting for defense. That is simply not true. The mechanics of shooting are the same regardless of the target or the environment. The mechanics don't change. Some want to dismiss this technique for that reason. It evolved from competitive shooting. Leatham, Enos, Shaw, Plaxco introduced me to it more than 20 years ago. As far as mechanics go, these guys (Jarrett as well) are the best shooters in the world. If you wanted to be a great golfer, who would you copy? Tiger or your buddy Ernie?
Old March 3, 2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Hard Ball

A fnie video with some very good advive.
Old March 3, 2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Hard Ball

Lets add D A Bryce and Bill Jordan to the greatest shooters in history.
Old March 4, 2007, 07:26 AM   #6
685cmj

Lurper,
Thanks for your in-depth comments! I am still evaluating both sides, but I have to admit that I thought it odd even as I read Massad's stuff, based on my previous life experience. Though I am new to shooting, I have been an athlete all my life in many sports, and the physical key to virtually all of them was that you stay relaxed, not tensed. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any physical endeavor where I ever learned that a hard grip and/or tensed muscles were the key, but just the opposite: it was always clear that the more tensed the muscles, the less able the physical performance. I just assumed, as I worked with Massad's lessons, that shooting a gun was completely different than every other sport. Now I find myself wanting more information to solve this quandry! Are there any excellent books out there giving this kind of viewpoint you might recommend to give more in-depth info...I am a voracious reader and need to see it and study it to really digest it!
Old March 4, 2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Lurper

If you can find a copy of J. Michael Plaxco's book (iirc "Shooting from within"), it is worth reading. Brian Enos' book is an absolute must read. Brian is the epitome of "zen" shooting. Those would give you endless insight into what you seek.
Old March 5, 2007, 12:36 AM   #8
Hello123

Lurper...

I have really enjoyed the videos and appreciate you taking the time to make them.
Old March 5, 2007, 01:53 AM   #9
Lurper

Thanks Hello,
I enjoy making them and am always glad to know that people enjoy them.
Old March 5, 2007, 02:13 AM   #10
DarthTedd

No controversy here. I enjoy all visual shooting/learning aids. Thanks for the post.
Old March 5, 2007, 04:12 AM   #11
Axion

I just want to second the point about not exerting undue force on the gun with your thumbs. I had a shooting instructor at my range give me the same advice and I noticed the difference almost immediately.
Old March 5, 2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Skyguy

Excellent video.
Detailed and informative.......and free. :)

Thanks, man.
Old March 5, 2007, 04:59 PM   #13
markj

I shoot better groups with a relaxed grip. It is all up to what works best for you. Practise a lot then practise some more. I was taught by my Uncle, a Deputy Sheriff for 30 years. Now that guy could shoot the eyes out of a fly. He was also good with a long bull whip. He could take a ciggarate out of yer mouth at 20 ft.
Old March 5, 2007, 06:05 PM   #14
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurper
Your body and mind perform at their peak when you are relaxed. Ask a boxer or martial artist what happens when they tense up in the ring. So, the key in performance (in this case shooting) is to do it the way your body was designed to. Your body can't be relaxed if you are "crushing" the gun. Also, your grip cannot be neutral. If your grip/stance is not neutral, you will exert undue influence on the gun and won't be able to drive it.
I was taught the same principle of staying relaxed by my baseball trainer in high school, he worked with Ted Williams (one of the greatest hitters in MLB history). The trick is to be relaxed, relaxed muscles react faster. So he taught me the same thing as what martial artists and boxers do, get the "spaghetti string" arms, loosen the grip on the bat just enough it won't fly out your hands, and keep the index fingers and thumbs loose and barely touching the grip. Just about all the gripping action came from the last three fingers on each hand. I found the same type of gripping action works equally as well with firearms. My accuracy went to crud soon's my upper arms and chest tensed up and I put the death grip on with my left hand.
BTW, would you mind if we posted it (with source information of course) on other forums? I can think of at least one other place where a lot of people would truly appreciate watching your videos.
Old March 5, 2007, 07:21 PM   #15
Lurper

Dread,
Feel free to post it, just let me know where. That way I can answer any questions people might have. One of my major concerns in just putting out little "snippets" of the entire proces is that they will end up reinforcing bad habits for some.