The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 9, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1
Doug.38PR

.41 Magnum Python?

Quote:
It is rumored that a small number of Pythons were built in .41 Magnum caliber, but Colt officially denies that the factory ever produced such a variant. It would be possible for a highly-skilled gunsmith to re-bore and re-chamber a Python to fire .41 Magnum ammunition.
I cut and pasted the above statement from wikipedia. Is this true? Could this be done? (safely?)
Old March 9, 2007, 12:52 AM   #2
sasquatch

There is one on Auction Arms right now.

Go check it out.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=7884428
Old March 9, 2007, 01:19 AM   #3
rem33

Gosh 20k, suppose it's that much better than a 657 or a Redhawk?
I know collector value. But $40 for shipping??

Nice link Sasquatch
Old March 9, 2007, 01:31 AM   #4
laytonj1

The gun on the auction arms link was discussed at length on the Colt forum...
It's a gunsmith creation. And would not be wise to shoot. Pythons were never designed to handle 41 mag.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:38 AM   #5
croyance

From what I understand, the Python timing is kind of delicate - even .357 Magnum loads (for which it was designed) can knock it out of time.
What's more, it is basically a K-frame sized. I can't tell you that they are the same strength, but the frames must be close in strength and I can tell you I wouldn't trust it in either my K-frames or Python.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:42 AM   #6
Doug.38PR

Quote:
From what I understand, the Python timing is kind of delicate - even .357 Magnum loads (for which it was designed) can knock it out of time.
I've heard Dfariswheel say numerous times in this and other forums that he has put THOUSANDS of magnum rounds through his Pythons with no problems.

Quote:
What's more, it is basically a K-frame sized. I can't tell you that they are the same strength, but the frames must be close in strength and I can tell you I wouldn't trust it in either my K-frames or Python.
In S&W frame designations, I think it would actually fall under an L frame. Essentially a 686. A tad larger and sturdier than a K frame
Old March 9, 2007, 01:49 AM   #7
BillCA

I'd say it was an aftermarket conversion unless someone can show otherwise.

Hints:
- Unfinished ejector rod end. Atypical of Colt's shop
- Hand-cut Colt logo (look at the "o") and the uneven length of the letters.
- Hand-cut 41 Magnum on barrel - The "G" and "U" are smaller. The last "M" is cut off-center between the uprights.

The hand-lettering is telling. Compare to the roll mark on the right side which is evenly done. Could it be a real prototype? Anything is possible.

But in the 70's I recall there was someone in the midwest who specialized in converting Pythons to .41 Mag -- if you supplied the gun (then priced at $550) and paid him about $400 to do the work. That was far too rich for me -- Pythons were considered ridiculously expensive when they crossed the $500 mark!
Old March 9, 2007, 06:34 AM   #8
GUNKWAZY

The big RED FLAG is that Colt won't letter the gun.
Here's our discussion on the Colt forum...

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/show...ge=0#Post46637

FYI: It did get a little heated at times.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Old March 9, 2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Webleymkv

Quote:
I've heard Dfariswheel say numerous times in this and other forums that he has put THOUSANDS of magnum rounds through his Pythons with no problems.
I think that the timing issues with Pythons have more to do with the kind of shooting that is done rather than the amount or ammunition used. Pythons seem to be less tolerant of hard, fast DA shooting than say a K/L frame Smith or Ruger. If slower, gentler DA shooting or SA shooting is done, they seem to last longer.
Old March 9, 2007, 06:45 PM   #10
rem33

After a closer inspection, and this is only on the net from a picture, I'd say the COLT and Magum were NOT factory rolled.
Old March 9, 2007, 07:11 PM   #11
1006smith

I remember seeing a blued 41 magnum python at some gun store back in the early eighties. The store was in Dallas (or near Dallas) and the gun was not for sale. Seems like it was a 5 shot but I'm not sure.
Old March 9, 2007, 10:03 PM   #12
Mas Ayoob

About 30 years ago, researching a story for American Handgunner magazine, I studied the Python at the Colt factory with some of the guys who were there for its inception. I was told that a tiny number had been experimentally produced in .41 Magnum and had actually worked, but were not put into production because Colt thought the .41 Mag round would be "a flash in the pan." I was unaware that any had left the factory, at least commercially. As others have noted, it is possible that one might have been given as a keepsake to an employee, such as an engineer who worked on the project.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:23 PM   #13
JAXX

Maybe it's me, but seeing as how Colt is so proud of the Pythons, it's odd for me to not see Python anywhere on this thing. Maybe it's there and I missed it, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have overlooked it.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:36 PM   #14
22-rimfire

I still have that issue of the magazine saved. Great article!
Old March 10, 2007, 12:03 AM   #15
CobrayCommando

So then its not worth 20k?
Old March 10, 2007, 12:29 AM   #16
Dfariswheel

Over the years Colt did make up purely experimental Pythons in other calibers, including .22LR and a couple of .41 Magnums.

The .41 magnums were made up by request of a big distributor.
Colt made a COUPLE, but had second thoughts about the cylinder and frame being big enough to be safe, so they took them back.
I believe these .41 Magnum Pythons, along with the other experimentals are now in the big Colt collection in Connecticut.

One think is fairly clear. Colt NEVER sold or released ANY factory Pythons in ANY calibers other then .38 Special and .357 Magnum.
Over the years I've seen .22LR, .22 Magnum, and .41 Magnum Pythons.
NONE OF THEM were factory guns, but were made up by custom gunsmiths.
The .22 versions were actually Colt Officer's Models with a Python barrel.

The usual .41 Magnums were made up by some fool in Florida??
He sold them as custom guns, and these were very well made, right down to the markings which were done with even factory style fonts.

After the original owners sold these to other people, and the guns started having serious problems, they contacted Colt demanding repairs.
After Colt disowned these things, a posse of lawyers started descending on the custom gunsmith and he reportedly closed up shop and faded just ahead of a bunch of law suits.

The gun now up for sale is much more poorly done than the other guns, and this one may be a "one off".
It's got a LOT of problems you can read about over on the Colt forum.

Bottom line: If you see a .41 Magnum Python (or any other caliber other than .38 or .357) it's a FAKE, and in the .41's case, it's not safe to fire.
Old March 10, 2007, 01:19 AM   #17
LYNCH MOB

An authentic Colt .41 Mag Python is a fairy tale...

...as far as the Python having "delicate timing" goes... I wouldn't trade my Python for all the tea in China...nor for a dozen S&Ws...but maybe for it's weight in gold.

My letter-free, early 1965 blued Colt Python's action is still as smooth as butter and a thousand times as deadly for your arteries.

Out-of-the-box they were peerless.
Old March 10, 2007, 02:37 AM   #18
Socrates

Jack Huntington Advanced Gunsmithing has done this conversion, and, it works just fine...
S
Old March 10, 2007, 02:43 AM   #19
gvf

Re: .41

The guy has a weird note on the auction now: he'll keep it on an auction and let outsiders determine if it's actually a COLT (at least that's what it sounds like). In other words, buyer beware and do your research - or don't mind blowing 20Gs for a gunsmith's post-production work. Kind of wonder why the powers-that-be allow such an iffy and expensive auction on their site.

Sounds easy enough to find out . Colt must have a record of any .41 that was produced.Even if it was one. It has a serial number after all.
Old March 10, 2007, 02:51 AM   #20
Socrates

From what I heard, they only made about 8 of them...

S
Old March 12, 2007, 10:06 AM   #21
tex45acp

I too had an 8" Python that I hunted with for a number of years. It was one handsome gun but I would never be able to justify 20K for a 41mag version, and I am a fanatic about the caliber. Now if someone made a Colt Anaconda into a 41mag, I might just give that one a hard look. Until then I will just stick with my 3 Redhawks. I know they will handle the load without any question.

tex
Old March 12, 2007, 08:02 PM   #22
revjen45

Reading this thread just resulted in an awesome coincidence for me. Mention of Jack Huntington moved me to google him on the web, since I went to gunsmithing school with fine fellow by that name who came up with some highly interesting handgun projects. I called the number to see if it is the same person and lo and behold, it is! It is a great delight to see the people one remembers well succeed to that level. Of my fellow Lassen Gunsmiths Jack and Marc Krebs are the only ones who became well known, and God bless them. They were extraordinary gifted in school, which translated into the real world.
Old March 13, 2007, 03:38 PM   #23
Socrates

Jack's a magician with guns, metal, and wood, for that matter. Man is amazing.

He's forgot more then most will ever know, and, he's the only
gunsmith I know that's got a degree from college in gunsmithing, other then Hamilton Bowen. I've been lucky enough to get some pictures, and handle, and shoot, many fantastic guns he's done.

S