The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2007, 07:12 PM   #1
cobra81

Remington Model 10 Trap Gun

My uncle is in the process of finding new homes for his guns as he moves into a retirement home. He brought over a Remington Model 10 pump shotgun that he inherited from his uncle in the 1950's.

12-gauge fixed choke, plenty of scratches, but it shoots good. Can anybody give me a little history on the Model 10? I told him I doubted it had any value beyond sentimental, but I just don't know enough about this gun to give him an informed opinion. About all I know is that they were made in the 1920's.

Just off the top, I'm thinking of offering him a couple hundred bucks. Is that in line with what they sell for? Thanks.
Old September 30, 2007, 07:59 PM   #2
pumpkinheaver

Here is a link I found.

http://www.remington.com/library/his...s/model_10.asp
Old September 30, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Well I suppose you have the "Family" thing involved. You want to be fair, but have no idea of the value. Just remember, they only made about a 1/4 million of them which is not a lot in reality. The features of a Trap gun almost 90 years ago is far different than today. You are in a funny place, you don't want to "insult" him but probably have no real need for a 90 year old gun that you will have a lot of problems finding parts for.
Personally,, unless you have some desire to own it,, or,, are trying to help him out. I would pass on it for a couple of hundred bucks. I am sure he has NO idea of its true value as most people think "if it is old,,,,, it is valuable" unfortunatly, that is not always the case.
Maybe you can get one of the Gun Value books and look it up, or maybe on line too. Good luck to you.
Old October 1, 2007, 09:16 AM   #4
cobra81

Thanks, guys.

The situation worked out good. He eventually just gave it to one of his grandsons, and that got me off the hook. I'm glad it stayed in his family.

Maybe the kid will bring it to a trap shoot one of these days and I'll see how it shoots.
Old October 1, 2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Shell Shucker

I'd give a couple of hundred bucks for a cool old shotgun like that! I don't know what I'd do with it.......... It's old, interesting, and $200 is not that much money. What I find strange is a trap gun with a strait stock. If THAT is original it makes it that much more interesting......... My how times change!

Isn't the Remington 10 the predecessor to the Ithaca 37? I believe it is a John M. Browning design.