The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 7, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
CO1991A1

Ultimate HD shotgun setup?

I have a Remington 870 super magnum with a Knoxx Spec-Ops stock and 18 1/2 inch barrel. I like it but I want to mod it more.

Should I go for ghost ring sights or reflex sights? Magazine extension? Tactical light? What's the best receiver sidesaddle?
Old May 7, 2007, 12:23 PM   #2
sonyman74

This is what I did to my Super Nova.
Old May 7, 2007, 01:47 PM   #3
RsqVet

remington factroy mag extenshion.. well made and well finished

sure-fire forend

I have factory scattergun gohst rings which I like but others out there are good, and honeslty for HD with decent practice, indexing off the front sight is all you will liekly do for real in a life or death situation so a bead is probibly fine for most people.

Mesa Tactial makes a shell carrier that is alunimum not plastic but honeslty if what you have up the pipe does ought to solve your problmes,however the extra weight odes add to soaking up recoil.
Old May 7, 2007, 02:17 PM   #4
CO1991A1

I don't even have a bead right now but I shot clay targets one time with it and didn't have any problems aiming.
Old May 7, 2007, 06:50 PM   #5
geologist

Here's what I keep in my house for when the SHTF.

Old May 7, 2007, 08:27 PM   #6
spoolup

Almost the exact setup your looking at, I like mine. So be it only a mag 3", dont see why you will ever want/ need a 3.5".

870P 4449 with ghost rings, factory 2 shot extension with clamp, surefire front grip, spec op with power pak, NICE package.

Honestly however, if someone is already in my house I would rather turn to the storm. Never had a hiccup with it, weighs less, is shorter, and feel better moving thru the house with it, IE get to the childs room and wait for the police. I have modified it since this pic last month, ill see about posting some updates here this weekend, EOtech, TLR1 light, PX4 mag conversion to hold 17 .40 rounds,and the shroud is on order

Old May 7, 2007, 08:36 PM   #7
banditt007

a tac'd out shotgun w/ a 'newb' using it verse a beat up single shot in expereinced hands...guess who wins.

Modding it just for the sake of modding it is rediculous. 3.5" chamber?!????? your best off shotting 2 3/4" anyway. and a sling IMO is just something to catch/snag on stuff. what do you do stand around when the SHTF with the gun in a sling?

I would keep it as simple and easy to use as possible. having a gun that looks 'badass' dosent win firefights.

JMO...
Old May 7, 2007, 09:27 PM   #8
'75Scout

I have a 870 with extended mag, rifle sights, Knoxx Compstock, and Mesa Tactical Side Saddle. I want to add a Surefire forearm and I would consider it complete. I also like the Sage teloscoping stock and Mesa Tactical stocks. Maybe I'll use one of those on my next 12 guage build.
Old May 7, 2007, 09:27 PM   #9
TexiCali Slim

Yeah BuuuUUUuuut..............

Sonyman has a Blackberry forend grip to call or text for reinforcements(OMG SHTF RSVP ASAP), thats pretty tacticool.
Old May 7, 2007, 11:59 PM   #10
mcubed4130

A good set of ghost rings, is my next purchase.

(I took a tactical class last month, and in one of the drills the instructor had us use someone else's shotgun - the shotguns I used with ghost sights, I was able to target and hit with much faster than my own bead sights).

As for the rest... get a side saddle or a Knoxx Powerpack for your SpecOps... and call it good enough. The rest of the gear, just gets in the way.

-M3
Old May 8, 2007, 12:52 AM   #11
Hedley

If it worked for my great grandfather...

I keep it real.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:48 AM   #12
SCREAMIII2006

9 In The Tube....

MOSSBERG 590 MARINER
ATI PISTOL GRIP STOCK
FOREARM WITH GRIP
9 SHELLS IN THE TUBE
Old May 8, 2007, 07:28 AM   #13
fisherman66

My 870 still has the tube plug from quail hunting in it. Everything else is stock. I've never gotten the tac thing. Besides the short barrel, I don't understand a lick of it.
Old May 8, 2007, 08:55 AM   #14
whip1

Quote:
I've never gotten the tac thing. Besides the short barrel, I don't understand a lick of it.
+1
Old May 8, 2007, 10:10 AM   #15
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Quote:
I've never gotten the tac thing. Besides the short barrel, I don't understand a lick of it.
+1

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old May 8, 2007, 07:06 PM   #16
Slopemeno

Yep. Every shotgun shooting I've been able to document was a one shot, one shot stop affair. I'll stick with a very basic 870.
Old May 8, 2007, 07:35 PM   #17
FirstFreedom

What is there to NOT understand about wanting the following:

-a light to light up the target, and
-extra capacity with an extended mag, just in case, and

??

Quote:
a tac'd out shotgun w/ a 'newb' using it verse a beat up single shot in expereinced hands...guess who wins.
OK, I'll guess....Quite possibly the newb with extra capacity (more likely than not). But it depends on a LOT of factors. Did the single shot guy grab extra shells or is he in his underpants with only one shot available? The tac'd out newb may also be in his underpants, awakened abruptly, but he's got 9 or 10 shots instead; maybe more. Does the single shot guy miss or just wing the newb with his one shot due to evasive action of the shootee, extra distance, bad lighting, intervening barriers, or other factors? What's the newb's general level of physical/mechanical intuitiveness, skill, & conditioning? Some people are natural gunnies/shooters. And this so-called "newb" has likely done a lot of scenario preparation in his mind. In an extended gun battle to the death, fighting in close quarters in a house, I believe I'd put my money on the newb in that situation. Follow up shots as suppressive fire for an approach and then killing fire is a tremendous advantage, and in many cases can trump experience with a single shot.
Old May 8, 2007, 07:54 PM   #18
CO1991A1

First of all I never said I wanted a sling, second my 870 super magnum is a 3 inch not a 3 1/2 inch.

Finally, the light would be used for a hands free way to see in a dark and blind anyone looking at it.

My shotgun is nowhere near all modded out, besides that I cut the barrel down to 18 1/2 inches and put a smaller stock and composite forend on it.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Slopemeno

A lights not a bad feature, but to be real honest here, I think a lot of people rate a shotguns effectiveness on its similarity of appearance to an M-60. Less-is-more kicks in at some point.
Old May 9, 2007, 04:33 AM   #20
Jason607

I have a mossberg 500 and I like it except it is pump. What if I were to miss or there would be more than one intruder. That time it takes to pump the shotgun might just be the time it takes for the intruder to shoot back. I have always wanted a Benelli M4 with a light on it. Good capasity plus it can fire as fast as I can pull the trigger. I like the feel of it also.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:08 AM   #21
fisherman66

Quote:
That time it takes to pump the shotgun might just be the time it takes for the intruder to shoot back.
Go shoot some clays. You will amaze yourself at how fast you can operate a pump while staying on target. Technology is a poor replacement for practice/skill.

Quote:
-a light to light up the target, and
-extra capacity with an extended mag, just in case, and
I prefer led nightlights around the house to a mounted flashlight. The idea is to get the drop on someone. The flashlight is going to give you away before you ever round a corner. I also don't want to be messing with a tail cap button when I should be focusing on my finger on the trigger guard and the threat at hand. Reduced recoil rounds would allow one to fit a bunch of rounds in a standard tube. (a good dog trumps the baddest SG)

The guys manufacturing tac accessories are making a killing on stamped steel and injection molded plastic. I resent the markup for minimal increases, and prefer to spend my money busting clays.

and dat's whot I tink
Old May 9, 2007, 10:39 PM   #22
Slopemeno

I've used a light in force-on-force scenarios (read, maglight mounted to my paintball gun, and boresighted, playing at night in a manzanita maize) and it ROCKED.

The whole point is to not turn the light on until a split second before you shoot. Everyone of the other team had said "I'm just gonna shoot at the light"..well, it didnt work out that way.

Also, dont house-clear on your own. If you really think someones there, you should be dialling 911, not sneaking around your house. The cops wont clear your house alone, and you shouldnt either.

Youre right on the ambient LED's scattered around the house though, and I do that.
Old May 10, 2007, 12:31 AM   #23
skeeter1

12-gauge SxS double loaded with #4 buckshot for me. I'm with Hedley on this one. My granddad would approve. I'm just not interested in having an evil black shotgun.
Old May 10, 2007, 07:08 AM   #24
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Now I haven't used an autoloading shotgun but I can compare my O/U with a rem 870. I will say that the ability to fire a follow up shot without movement makes target reaquisition so much easier. Working the pump always results in the bead moving off target and having to aquire again and the follow up, if rushed, tends to be more inaccurate (which accounted for many a missed pheasant in the early days ). Although at close range I doubt it will matter much.
Old May 10, 2007, 09:38 AM   #25
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Ultimate HD shotgun?

Anything held by a Shotgunner who has run a few thousand shells through it.

Bling is bling. Expertise is what will keep someone alive....