The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2007, 01:38 PM   #1
rantingredneck

Picked up a Ruger P345 today.

I took the plunge. I've wanted one for months. I needed something smaller to carry and this gun just looks sexy IMHO. The one I borrowed at the range a couple months ago shot great too. I've had a SRH for sale for awhile, had an ad here and at THR. Had it sold four or five times only to have the buyer back out at the last minute. Took it to the Hickory gunshow with no joy. Finally gave up on selling it. Upon consideration of the fact that I don't want to further damage my hearing from hunting with it (hard to use earplugs and hunt) I decided to trade the SRH away. I got 425.00 for it in trade, which wasn't bad I don't think. It covered the cost of my P345 and tax. I've still got all the grips, holsters, scope and ammo that I'll post for sale here later.

To some that will seem like a stupid trade and I don't really care. I needed a better carry gun. I can legally hunt with a .45ACP here so my P90 may fill that role this deer season.

I'm off to the range now to play with my new toy. I'll post a report later tonight maybe.
Old June 5, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
quickcanary

Don't worry about what others think if you like the gun. I haven't had the opportunity to put any rounds through a P345, but there is a nice used one at a local shop and I must say I was tempted to buy it after reading good things about the P345 on the forums. Supposedly they are soft shooters and have the Ruger reputation of being built like a tank. It's a bit bulky, but come on...it is a .45!

Enjoy, and be sure to post with your impressions.
Old June 5, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Very Happy Camper..........:)

I took the P345 to Handgunner's in Burlington this afternoon for a break-in session. I put 200 rounds of Magtech FMJ and 40 rounds of Hornady TAP 200gr. +P JHP's through it without a hitch. Out of the box the gun was shooting slightly left........

7 yds:

25 yds:

I drifted the sight just a bit and it was dead on:

7 yds:

25 yds:

Recoil was much lighter than you would expect from a polymer .45. It recoils less than my P90 which is much heavier. It slips nicely into my Bianchi Minimalist holster or my Don Hume IWB. I bought a Fobus paddle for it too. It's so thin that it hugs right up against the body and can't be seen under a T-shirt.

Last edited by rantingredneck; June 6, 2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old June 5, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4
mbott

I sold mine late last year in order to finance another deal, and I'm considering getting a new one as a replacement. Had absolutely no issues with the one I had. I hope I'll have a replacement by the end of next month.

--
Mike
Old June 6, 2007, 03:34 AM   #5
omegapd

Congrats! I've had mine about a year or so with no problems. Your P-90 mags should also fit if you didn't know. Thats what they claim on the Ruger forum at least.
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.
Old June 6, 2007, 07:38 AM   #6
rantingredneck

Indeed the P90 mags fit. I did the research on that before I bought. I even made a thread here asking about it.

People get hung up on the fact that Ruger lists them as separate part numbers, but the reason for that has to do with the mag disconnect on the P345. Mags sold for it don't have to have that ridiculous orange sticker that says "caution may fire with magazine removed" or some such. P90 and 97 mags have to have that because of not having the mag disconnect. Other than the sticker, they are identical.

A lot of things can be said negatively about Ruger, but I've always loved them. Not the prettiest autos, but they work when you need them to. It's also a nice feature that their magazines for same caliber weapons interchange.

Last edited by rantingredneck; June 6, 2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old June 6, 2007, 10:34 AM   #7
obxned

Congrats!!! I have one that I've put a lot of rounds through. It eats everything I've feed it, shoots with surprising accuracy, and has soft recoil, even with +Ps. It's the same size/weight as a Colt Light Weight Commander, so carries well.

When I bought mine, I was really looking at other .45s with prices about twice what I paid for the P345. I chose the Ruger, and NOT because of the price.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 6, 2007, 12:07 PM   #8
don_hamer

Congratulations! You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes.
http://www.thefirearmdirectory.com - Add Your Firearm/Gun/Weapons Website