The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 19, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Doug.38PR

Anyone carry any kind of Webley revolver for CC?

above said question. They were made in both .38 and .455 caliber I believe.
Old June 19, 2007, 01:17 AM   #2
anand

I carry a Webley & Scott Mk IV, .32 S&W Long, 4 inch barrel. Its the smaller frame one used by the Brits during WWII only with a shorter barrel.

I have few other choices as I live in India. The revolver is surprisingly concealable and speed loaders for J frame / Ruger SP 101 can be used.

I usually carry in a very light flap holster that I made on my belt with 6 spare rounds carried in a belt slide (that I made). I wear a button down shirt with short sleeves untucked (guyebera style) because of the very warm weather so concealment is not an issue. Also the frips are relatively flat and the cylinder is the only thick part, I've even carried in a shoulder holster under a dress suit with no printing or bulge.

Regards,
Anand
Old June 19, 2007, 01:56 AM   #3
Wildalaska

What are the gun laws in India?

WildmywifelovesbollywoodAlaska
Old June 19, 2007, 03:34 AM   #4
Socrates

What was the ladies name in Maltese Falcon that shot Bogart's partner with one shot from a Webley 455?

Helen Astor? Mary Astor ... Brigid O'Shaughnessy

Dr. S
Old June 19, 2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Doug.38PR

Quote:
What are the gun laws in India?
that was going to be my next question. You can concealed carry in India?
Old June 19, 2007, 11:40 AM   #6
tulsamal

Quote:
that was going to be my next question. You can concealed carry in India?
What are the cops going to do? Search over a billion people?!

Gregg
Old June 20, 2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Quote:
What was the ladies name in Maltese Falcon that shot Bogart's partner with one shot from a Webley 455?
Didn't she use a Webley-Fosbury Automatic Revolver?
Old June 20, 2007, 08:51 PM   #8
LightningJoe

I've been packing a Webley-Vickers 50:80 for years.
Old June 20, 2007, 10:42 PM   #9
Colt46

Maltese Falcon remembrences

Brigid O'Sahuannessy was the Femme Fatale, The Webley-Fosberry featured was the 8 shot .38 variety and methinks there might be a Walter Mitty Fan in the audience.
Been years since I read the book though.
Old June 21, 2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Doug.38PR

^
no it was a .455. Remember both Thursbey and Miles Archer were shot with "a .44 or .45 caliber" As it turned out Miles was shot with the Webley Fosbury .45 automatic used by Bridget O'Shaunnessey and Thursbey was killed with a .1911 .45 auto from Casper Gutman's hitman punk
Old June 21, 2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Colt46

Sam Spade specifically mentions it as an eight shot

So I assumed that he was referring to the .38 ACP. If in fact he was talking about the .455, could there be a slight error in the film?
Old June 21, 2007, 11:52 PM   #12
Socrates

I know a bit about guns, but, what is a Webley-fosbury, whatever, automatic??

I assumed that when they said 44 or 45 in the movie, it was a revolver from Webley, and, the movie screwed up.

Dr. S
Old June 22, 2007, 10:07 AM   #13
anand

Hello wildalaska,
I have posted the laws elsewhere on the forum but here goes:
1.All firearm purchase/possession/carry/transfer is allowed only under a license. Licensing is Discretionary.

2.A maximum of 3 firearms, each being different than the other( no two revolvers etc)(one each of shotgun, rifle,revolver or pistol) This rule can be waived if you are "renowned shooter".

3. One .22 Rifle is allowed under a target license in addition to the above, provided you are a member of a Government recognised rifle club.

4.Ammunition is usually limited to a maximum limit of 100 rounds per calender year with a maximum purchase/possession at one time not to exceed 50 rounds. There are exceptions to this, some times it is even less than the above, sometimes its more especially if you are a "renowned shooter".

5.Calibers are designated "Prohibited Bore"(PB) and "Non-Prohibited Bore"(NPB).
Non prohibited bores are those that are other than military/police calibers.
Prohibited bores are 9mm P, .380 Rimmed(.38 S&W), .45 Rimless,.455 Rimmed for handguns, 7.62 Nato,.303 British,.30 Carbine for rifles/carbines and all fully automatic firearms and shotguns with barrels less than 20 inches.

6.Import of firearms and ammunition is only allowed by recognised marksmen called renowned shooters,and the National Rifle Association of India for target/competition use. Limited import of ammunition is allowed by licensed dealers. Another way to import is, if you are moving back to India on a Transfer of Residence(TR) after a 2 year stay abroad , and already own a firearm of NP Bore in the foreign country for at least a year along with 50 cartridges. Import of 50 cartridges of NP Bore by licensees on their trips abroad is allowed. Import of firearms & ammo by foreigners is allowed for competition/sport use upon prior approval and issue of license.

7. Sale of arms and ammunition imported on a TR is not allowed, these may only be transferred after the death of the original importer to legal heirs or with their permission to other licensees, thereafter freely transferable.

8. Non Prohibited Bore Ammunition of .22 LR, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long,.32 ACP,
.30-06, .315/8mm, and 12 gauge shotshells of different sizes is manufactured in India so it would be ideal to have a firearm in one of the above calibers because ammo is easily available. Imported ammo is very expensive.

9. Concealed carry is allowed. A Firearm purchased for self defence can be used for sport use if it satisfies the requirement. As in a 12 gauge O/U can be used for skeet/trap shooting in competition even though a license was granted originally for the purposes of self defence.

10.Prohibited bore licenses are issued only by the Central Ministry of Home affairs and are very difficult to obtain. Non Prohibited bore licenses are also difficult to obtain but are issued at the District and state level. But as long as the applicant is not a criminal, of unsound mind or "unsound character" and is above the age of 21 years with a recommendation letter from a Minister of the State or a Member of the Legislative Assembley or a member of the Parliament a license will be granted. If one doesnt have the right connections to get a recommendation then you can always go to court and have a license granted that way since it will now be the issuing authority's resposibility to show why a license should NOT be granted.

11. Licenses are issued for 3 year periods with an initial 1 year probationary period. Once a license is granted, a 3 to 6 month period is given to obtain the said firearm(s). The area of validity can be limited to the district, one or more states, or All India subject to local restrictions.

That about sums it up,
regards,
Anand

Last edited by anand; June 22, 2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: more info needs to be added
Old June 22, 2007, 10:44 AM   #14
gfen

Thanks for sharing, Anand.
Old June 22, 2007, 01:22 PM   #15
don't shoot it's me

I only carry my Webley in the afternoon from 3 to 4...that's tea time.
Old June 22, 2007, 02:13 PM   #16
STAGE 2

The definition of irony: I can own an ishapore enfield but the man from the country of that rifle's origin can't.
Old June 22, 2007, 08:43 PM   #17
Colt46

Webley-Fosberry

Here goes:
It is a revolver featuring a two piece frame and a cylinder with a series of diagonal cuts in it. The upper part of the frame would be driven backwards upon firing and cock the hammer for a smooth single action let off. It was both fast and accurate. The only knock against it would be the increased possiblity of dirt and grime interferring with the action.
Thats the best I can do without wikipedia.
Old June 22, 2007, 09:47 PM   #18
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver- -

Images of the .455 model - -

Best,
Johnny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webley-fosbery1.jpg (15.4 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg webleyfosberry455bace.jpg (58.2 KB, 552 views)
Old June 23, 2007, 01:08 AM   #19
Socrates

Thank You Very Much!!! I've Never Heard Of Such A Gun.

Dr. S