The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 11, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
WhiteFeather93

Touchy subject

Now I am sure this is going to go right down the middle with some people.

Open Carry vs Concealed Carry: Pros and Cons.

If you live in a state where OC is prohibited than this does not apply to you. If you live in a state where CC is prohibited than this does not apply.

But for those of you whom like myself live in a state where you can lawfully do both and it is not full of risk, by all means chime in because this one is eating away at me.

I live in a small rural farm town community. There is one traffic light in the whole town and one blinker. I carry a rather large and hard to conceal 1911. There is not a lot of crowding at the local markets. I don't run into huge mobs of people like someone might see on a NY city street. Therefor there is not much in the idea of risk involved if I were to decide to OC. I may, may get hassled by the local LEO's a couple of times. But for the most part I don't think many people would even bat a eyelash. So some of the benifits?

No dressing around your sidearm.
Easy access.
The ability to carry whatever you want.
And the possibility of shedding light for someone interested in the purchase and carry of firearms.

What are some of the cons?

Possible LEO problems.
Everyone knows you have a gun.
Offending someone and risking getting kicked out of a place of buisness.
*No OC in State Parks, School grounds, Goverment Bldgs. (In Pa at least)
*In some of these areas its illegal to carry in any fashion.

So what other benifits and cons are there? I'm sure there are gonna be a bunch of posts concerning the loss of surprise. And its not quite as
tacty-cool. But I want everyone to be honest with themselves.
How would you like the freedom to reach for the top shelf and not worry about your t-shirt coming up because its 90 degrees outside and you really want that specific can of Speghetti O's. How many people here work outside, in or on a farm area and its a hassle to keep that pistol wedged in your pants so tight it leaves a imprint on the softer part of your belly. And is being hasseled worth maybe enlightening somone about the world of firearms?
So please be honest and if you so choose, tear me a new one. But lately OC seems more and more appealing. Your thought>?
Old July 11, 2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Mantua

IMO, open carry makes you look like a cop (well, unless you're obviously not ). Maybe like a security guard with a gun, anyway. And people are less likely to do illegal things around cops, and to a lesser extent armed security guards. On the other hand, if someone's determined to rob THAT particular 7-11 at THAT particular time, you've just gone and made yourself a target.
Old July 12, 2007, 01:45 AM   #3
timothy75

I open carried once but didnt like it. Way too much attention for my taste. I felt like a pretty girl, everyone was staring at me. If you dont mind attention however go for it.
Old July 12, 2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Highwayman

Personally, I wouldn't open carry. It brings too much attention to the individual, especially when law enforcement is involved. I also don't like any would be criminals knowing I have a firearm prior to me employing it in self defense. The cards are already on the table.

I live in TN, where our carry laws are rather nicely written in my opinion. It never says you can't open carry, but it also never out right says you can. Basically, it's written so that if someone catches a glimpse of your firearm as you're "reaching to the top shelf", you won't lose your license. However, legally I can walk out on the street with an open carry and, provided I have my permit with me, I am well within my rights.

My preferred carry choice is an OWB pancake holster with an unbuttoned overshirt. It's comfortable, quickly accessible, and I avoid scaring "the sheep". I also have a very small waist, and IWB just doesn't work well for me. I have an IWB rig, which I use if the situation dictates, but I prefer my belt holster.

That being said, you are in a bit of a different situation. The town I live in is decently large and there is no way I could ever get to know ALL of the law enforcement officers. You mentioned your town is very rural, so if you were able to get to know all your local LEOs, it might not be a problem for you. Again, this would only apply around your local town, but if that's your primary place of carry you might be alright.

Just my two cents.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
-- John Stuart Mill
Old July 12, 2007, 08:57 AM   #5
snail

Well when I am at work (armed security) I open carry, and when I am not I open carry. I use the same triple retention holster for both work and off time. To me, if you are going to open carry it is just a matter of minding your surroundings ALL the time. I have gotten used to the looks/comments. In my case I got used to open carry in some really rough areas(security), so I figure I am alright in my suburb town. I guess it comes to personal preferance, but I am an "open" kind of guy
Old July 12, 2007, 09:25 AM   #6
ATW525

What's concealed on your person is your own private business. Once it's worn openly for all to see it becomes everybody elses' business. Store owners and managers will be within their rights to ask you to leave the premises, and random people who see you may occassionally call the police to report a man with a gun. It's not worth the hassle if you ask me, but your situation may be different.
Old July 12, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7
ksh

I am traditionally a person who open carries. I conceal carry when the law requires and/or the circumtances dictate. I use an OWB high ride holster because of my robust figure, IWB rigs just don't work and are extremely uncomfortable. I carry a firearm, first and foremost, for the reason of self defense and the defense of my family.

Am I worried about "becoming a criminal's target"? Sure, I always am (that's why I carry a firearm), but on the other hand, there is no evidence or cites to indicate that there is a high probability of this occurring simply because one openly carries their firearm.

Secondary to my primary carry reason is political activism, public education, and desensitization. Our rights to carry firearms have been wittled away over the years....people have become wrapped up in their own lives and more ignorant of their rights....people have become scared of firearms because all they see in the movies is guns used irrepsonsibly and never out in public.

Unfortunately, we are not going to have our rights reinstated by hiding our firearms from view. Those rights that are not utilized are the ones that will be targeted first by government. We must do our part, as Americans, to ensure that the freedoms we have are not reduced by our government.

By carrying a firearm, I put myself in a position where I can discusss laws and rights with fellow Americans. I am able to educate these fellow Americans on their rights and responsibilities apart from those responsibilities of a family person or church goer. Of course, there will be people who scoff at the idea that I carry a firearm and no amount of reason can help those people understand the reasons for doing so, but there are more Americans concerned today than there ever were. We have a responsibility to our nation to ensure we are an educated populace so as to prevent government from taking advantage.

As a result of our rights being stripped away, often times, the only exposure fellow Americans get to firearms are on TV...in the news, movies, shows...where firearms are irresponsibly handled. This adds to public fear of firearms. When our fellow Americans begin to see responsible Americans carrying firearms and handling themselves and their firearms responsibly, they begin to realize, albeit slowly, but surely, that firearms are not a scary object.

Just my .45
Old July 12, 2007, 10:46 AM   #8
WhiteFeather93

Bravo Ksh!

Those were exectly my thoughts elaberated!

As responsible gun owners we should help educate the poplulous. And are freedoms are being stripped more and more everyday. OC is a previlage and an honor for some considering that many countries do not allow any firearms let alone for you to carry them on you in the open. Yes I agree there is a higher chance of getting hassled by the police but be honest. You are getting hassled because you are doing something that is not done very much anymore. If everyone else in your area OC'ed would you have that problem? And I know there is a lot of fear about being a target and criminals picking you out of a store. But honestly what are the odds of that? Is there any data that suggest that? If you go on YouTube or any of those video sites I think you'll agree that the majority of those videos of people robbing the local 7-11 are just running in off the street and waving a piece. They expect everyone to be unarmed. And if you enlarge the target area you add more danger. Its gonna be hard to rob a grocery store with all those isles and what have you. I am not down playing all criminals but that majority is not that edgucated. And I have never seen data that consistantly shows someone OC'ing getting picked off before a robbery.
Old July 12, 2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Thumper

I think open carry is great if you're honest enough with yourself that it's not some weird ego thing.

I think too many younger gun owners confuse "different" with "special."

If you aren't dressed well and you're carrying openly, especially in PA, you aren't helping the cause.
Old July 12, 2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Magdaddy

If I was a criminal, definately would shoot anyone with a gun while I was in the act of a crime. Also with my size and strength, it would'nt take much for your gun to become mine, then you've supplied the BG with a weapon to do you in. Why give up the element of supprise ?
Old July 12, 2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Ya know, it's a shame that this even has to be an issue today.

When I was in my late teens / early 20's, I lived in the middle of town. I didn't have a car, so in order to do any shooting, I had to ride a bus to the city limits and hike from there out to a safe area.

I boarded the bus with my .22 revolver riding comfortably on my hip... in plain sight. Nobody even gave me a second glance, and a few, including the bus driver, even asked me what make & model I was carrying.

I also never gave a thought to carrying it as a defensive weapon. No need back then.

Today, even though open carry is perfectly legal in Ohio, other passengers would probably scream like little girls and jump out of the windows, and I'd probably be arrested for inducing panic.

Sign of the times, folks. Sign of the times .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 12, 2007, 04:10 PM   #12
Spade Cooley

I'm not sure but believe Hillary and Nancy Pelosey might object to open carry.
Old July 12, 2007, 04:11 PM   #13
Rmstn1580

With a lot of people going crazy about "Ohhh, guns kill people! They're evil!" I would suggest CC. Open-carry attracts too much unwanted attention, from people who want to whine and complain to the cops, and to criminals.
Old July 12, 2007, 04:15 PM   #14
ksh

Quote:
I think too many younger gun owners confuse "different" with "special."
I think this has more to do with maturity than age. I constantly receive compliments about my son's maturity and intelligence.

I allow him, under my supervision, to handle and use the firearms I own. He has proven to be responsible in this arena. He started shooting my firearms at the age of 9.

Quote:
If you aren't dressed well and you're carrying openly, especially in PA, you aren't helping the cause.
I think this differs given circumstances...in a rural area where the population is mostly farmers, I don't think dress is an important part of carry and how one presents themselves. Suburban areas may differ because the culture differs. I think the proper attitude while carrying a firearm shows in one's posture and confidence and can overcome the jeans and t-shirt look. Granted, gang banger dress certainly would arouse most of our own attention, but typically, those that dress in this fashion have less posture and confidence.

Quote:
If I was a criminal, definately would shoot anyone with a gun while I was in the act of a crime. Also with my size and strength, it would'nt take much for your gun to become mine, then you've supplied the BG with a weapon to do you in. Why give up the element of supprise ?
If you were a criminal with your current level of awareness and training (assuming you have training in the use of your weapon and close quarters combat situations) that many gun owners possess, then yes, I can see you eliminating the greatest threat early.

It's important to realize that large size and strength can be countered with a properly trained person. In my experience, most gun owners I know are well trained. Pulling a firearm from one of these people is not going to be easy.

Of course, one must add the caveat that if one is going to carry a firearm, whether OC or CC, one must take the personal responsibility to prepare their mind for what could potentially happen. One must also train and train regularly in order to remain proficient. Carrying a firearm is a basic human right. However, in exercising one's rights one must also exercise the equivelant responsibility to ensure that they handle that right effectively. IMO, this is one aspect of basic human rights that people forget about.
Old July 12, 2007, 04:44 PM   #15
UTOC-45-44

"If I was a criminal, definately would shoot anyone with a gun while I was in the act of a crime. Also with my size and strength, it would'nt take much for your gun to become mine, then you've supplied the BG with a weapon to do you in. Why give up the element of supprise ?"

Well...,

#1 My OC is a Kimber in a Serpa holster
#2 My 629 Chambered in 44mag (which would be CC)would meet U between the Eyes ( This would be my Element of SURPRISE to You)

Do you FEEL lucky ??? Do You ???

"if Cops can't Save me I will, and I won't call 911 Cuz 1911 is faster"
Old July 12, 2007, 04:55 PM   #16
thepreacher

+1 to ksh

You are doing a great job of conveying my exact thoughts.

I would like to add a few things though:

1. 'look like a cop' - - Are only cops allowed and supposed to carry? Besides most would consider a cop a 'good guy'. I consider myself a 'good guy' so in that regard IDK???

2. 'Cards are on the table' aka 'tactical advantage' or 'Bad guys attack me'- - Anybody storm the gate of a military installation? No? Why not then? Because there are soldiers behind the gate. Same applies to attacking an armed person. Sure maybe I am not as well armed as the military post, but chances are high that it would end bad for the attacker.

3. 'Everyone will see it' - - Most people who say this, have never practiced it. If you OC once, of course everyone was looking. That is the way your mind works. The first time you CC'd you thought everyone knew then too, didn't you? Even though it wasn't true, your mind was in a heightened state.

4. 'Cops hassling you' or 'people calling 911' - - Very true and it happens. But, the percentage is small due to #3 issue, most don't notice. However, like ksh stated, somebody has to stand up for the rights of the populace. I do not mind this if people get educated and will continue as an 'activist'.

5. 'Asked to leave a business' - - That is fine with me. It is your business and you are free to do that. If it is a corporation and an uneducated manager or store clerk, then I will leave and address this through the computer and telephone. Educating people is part of it, but educating at the right time is very important.

I have heard some who CC when they do not have time to 'deal with OC activism'. I understand this reasoning and applaud everyone for taking the responsibility to be a caring and armed citizen, however they choose.

I personally feel that CWL is a form of owner registration and see that could be a disadvantage if the tide ever swings into craziness-land.
Old July 12, 2007, 05:49 PM   #17
Doug.38PR

I can see a time and place for either one, and it should be your choice. I think restricting to concealed carry only puts you at unnessessary legal risk if the gun is accidentally seen (you know: "omghs, he has a gun" "sir you failed to conceal the gun, you are in trouble")
It's just a matter of time and place. I wouldn't walk through a crowded area in open carry, someone might try to grab it. But then I would feel inclinded to open carry in the woods or if I was stranded in a rough neighborhood one night (intimidation factor).
It's not really a question of pros or cons, it's more where and when. It's relative and should be subject to common sense.

Quote:
Today, even though open carry is perfectly legal in Ohio, other passengers would probably scream like little girls and jump out of the windows, and I'd probably be arrested for inducing panic.

LOL! That's quite an image. It is a sad state of affairs though. Sad but funny.
Old July 12, 2007, 05:50 PM   #18
JunyTuck

Capt. Charlie,
Wow your post brought back a lot of fond memories. When I was ten, lived in a small town in N.E. Iowa. I had a single shot .410 and a .22 rifle given to me by my parents.Hunting squirrels and rabbits was just something everyone did. Ten was the age at which most boys graduated from a BB gun to a real gun. I mowed lawns, shoveled snow and had a paper route to buy ammo with. To hunt we would walk thru town with are guns over our shoulder, until we reached a place to hunt. Not one person ever questioned anything and you could hunt virtually anywhere,ie no posted property or leases. It was just considered a normal right of passage.
If you did that today, well I think you get the idea! I know this post sounds like an old guy telling his grandkids how he walked 10 miles to school thru 4ft snow drifts and it was 40 below.
Just glad I had the opportunity to grow up then. Ahhh, the really good ole days!
Old July 12, 2007, 06:33 PM   #19
revjen45

If I lived in a rural area in state where OC was legal and I was carrying a long barelled revolver I would probably do it. If you're going to openly carry, it might as well be a Mossy Persuader or CAR-15 on a sling.
Old July 12, 2007, 06:38 PM   #20
ATW525

Quote:
2. 'Cards are on the table' aka 'tactical advantage' or 'Bad guys attack me'- - Anybody storm the gate of a military installation? No? Why not then? Because there are soldiers behind the gate. Same applies to attacking an armed person. Sure maybe I am not as well armed as the military post, but chances are high that it would end bad for the attacker.
There's a problem with that comparison. It's pretty easy to avoid a military installation if you don't want to attack one, however a bad guy may not know about the gun on your hip until he's already committed to the crime. Standing in line with your gun hanging out for all to see could go extremely badly for you if a group of armed men in ski masks bust through the door to execute a take over robbery.
Old July 12, 2007, 06:45 PM   #21
Southern_guy

If you carry concealed, you can take it in to places that it wouldn't be approved of.
Old July 12, 2007, 07:23 PM   #22
jurassicnarc

My 2 cents

After 28 years in DEA, I believe all are better served when the weapon is concealed. Forget all this stuff about 'printing'.....most of the time mine is just jammed in my belt, sans holster, with nothing but a rumpled t-shirt or an open sport shirt or (in rainy weather) a windbreaker. For 17 years, until policy toward magnums changed, I comfortably carried a Smith 29-2 with a 6 1/2" barrel without a holster...........and I NEVER had trouble getting it out in plenty of time. Most folks are too busy thinking about what they need to do next, to continually scan others for the presence of a gun. I have followed BG's into bank lines and stood two feet away and never got a second look except maybe for my physical size. Do not laugh at this next....If you are comfortable, your AURA is not picked up by others. If you feel on edge, you radiate those negative feelings. No Joke. So stuff it and forget about it....but for God's sake don't continually 'pat' it or adjust it....you might as well wear a sign on your forehead. Oh, and when the dukey hits the blades, often I was able to handle it without ever drawing it out. Peace be unto you...............
Old July 12, 2007, 08:03 PM   #23
Magdaddy

"Well...,

#1 My OC is a Kimber in a Serpa holster
#2 My 629 Chambered in 44mag (which would be CC)would meet U between the Eyes ( This would be my Element of SURPRISE to You)

Do you FEEL lucky ??? Do You ???"

If your blind sided by a BG and Dazed or even knocked unconcious because you pose a threat to his scheme because of open carry, your concealed back-up will probably be found at the hospital as they strip you for the cat-scan or emergency surgery. Alot of people can rip a phonebook in half with their bare hands, you don't think your sherpa holster can be torn off your belt ? BG's don't practice self-defense, they practice ruthless offense. But I know everybody on the net is a highly trained ninja or straight outta the matrix. I'll always believe that a supprise attack will be atleast 5x as devastating as the ole look em' in the eye an charge technique, just my .02 and thats probably a little expensive for my opinion.
Old July 12, 2007, 08:32 PM   #24
tony pasley

There is a time and place for either. I have carried both ways, twice when I was carring without cover over weapon I stop robberies. I know this because the badguys decided to leave where I was and went several miles away and aattempted a different store. I have even had a D@mn yankee call the law. When the officer showed up he ask me about some one with a gun while we talked the yankee just looked stupid.
Old July 12, 2007, 09:16 PM   #25
Dwight55

Because of the "sheeple heads in the sand" attitude of great numbers of local people, . . . I would not personally OC here in central Ohio.

In the backwoods of KY, . . . I have and would again, . . . thar's thangs in them thar woods what's difrunt from Alum Creek State Park.

I am not at all comfortable, . . . and haven't been since I left Long Xuyen, RVN, . . . with open carry. I don't care who knows I have my CCW, . . . but to just flop down the street with a 1911 hanging out in a hand carved leather thigh holster, . . . nahhhhhhhhhh!

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!