The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old August 1, 2007, 07:50 AM   #1
9mmHP

Feds searching people in downtown Indianapolis

Anybody know what's going on? There are TSA stations with about 20 agents each set up in at least two spots in downtown Indianapolis. They're stopping and searching people getting on and off city busses and travelling on the street. This is going a little too far.

Where exactly did this authority come from? Has this been going on anywhere else?
Old August 1, 2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Musketeer

In NYC the police set up random checks to get on the subway, people could refuse but then were not allowed on. I have no idea what the TSA is doing with this? Perhaps they are training or sometihng... Call the ACLU and have them do something good for once.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old August 1, 2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Pat H

I believe the authority comes from the unConstitutional Patriot Act. Your 4th Amendment protected rights are a nullity.

If you think it's bad now, wait until Hillary Clinton or Barrack Obama get power.
Old August 1, 2007, 08:32 AM   #4
applesanity

Quote:
In NYC the police set up random checks to get on the subway, people could refuse but then were not allowed on.
Oh I remember that. It was during my school time.

I remember nice old ladies and "good samaritans" actually volunteering themselves to be checked.

You heard me right.
Old August 1, 2007, 08:37 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Got any links? Obviously, if true, it's as blatently unconstitutional as the day is long.

Did any court case come out of the NYC subway incident?
Old August 1, 2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Musketeer

Quote:
Oh I remember that. It was during my school time.

I remember nice old ladies and "good samaritans" actually volunteering themselves to be checked.

You heard me right.
The best was a NYPD officer who was a regular caller to the late night AM Lionel show... he stated how anybody was free to refuse and walk away but he would stop and search anyone who did based on the suspicious behaviour of refusing to be searched!?!?! This guy was serious! The host, who was a prosecutor at one time, was dumbfounded by the stupidity of the statement.

I love the logic, you are allowed to refuse the search but doing so creates probably cause for a mandatory search... right!

Old August 1, 2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Musketeer

Quote:
Got any links? Obviously, if true, it's as blatently unconstitutional as the day is long.
Searches to get on mass transit were found constitutional in NYC when challenged by the ACLU on the grounds that they were consensual, you could refuse and walk away, and "in the reasonable interest of public safety" if I remember the quote right. This went down right after the subway bombings in London.

Old August 1, 2007, 08:45 AM   #8
applesanity

Quote:
Obviously, if true, it's as blatently unconstitutional as the day is long.
The days are getting shorter; the nights are getting colder.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Dave.H

I haven't seen this, but I haven't been downtown lately. Seems pretty extreme and unconstitutional. Shouldn't affect you if you have a carry permit though. As far as I understand the law there is nothing against carrying on mass transit here in Indiana.

Where is this happening?
Old August 1, 2007, 09:13 AM   #10
9mmHP

East of Capitol and Market, and near the federal building, TSA has a tent at the bus stop with a sign that everyone is subject to search. They had about 15-20 agents out there when I passed at 8:30AM
Old August 1, 2007, 09:19 AM   #11
Dave.H

Thats nuts! I don't see anything about firearms or searching or anything on their website.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:24 AM   #12
buzz_knox

Is it near the building or at the entrance of the federal building? Also, can you confirm these were TSA employees?
Old August 1, 2007, 09:24 AM   #13
Dave.H

I bet its something in relation to this:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...ockisland.shtm
Old August 1, 2007, 09:28 AM   #14
Manedwolf

Quote:
Shouldn't affect you if you have a carry permit though. As far as I understand the law there is nothing against carrying on mass transit here in Indiana.
And you're going to trust a minimally-trained TSA drone to know that? And to not just yell "HE'S GOT A GUN!" and get you tackled and face-pounded into the pavement by a cop because they don't know better?

I wouldn't.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:31 AM   #15
Dave.H

Quote:
And you're going to trust a minimally-trained TSA drone to know that? And to not just yell "HE'S GOT A GUN!" and get you tackled and face-pounded into the pavement by a cop because they don't know better?

I wouldn't.
Absolutely NOT. Thats what makes me nervous about it too and why I won't be the one going down there to enforce my rights.

I can remember times growing up when my dad was carrying off duty and the reactions that got years ago, I can't imagine in this day in age of fear what the reaction would be when I whip out a pink piece of paper and not a badge...

So I think my "Should't affect you..." statement was very porly worded.
Old August 1, 2007, 10:07 AM   #16
9mmHP

They're at bus stops. White shirts with the gold TSA on the front just like the airport guys. There were a few differently dressed agents standing around with "Police FAM" on them, but I have no idea what that stands for.
Old August 1, 2007, 10:13 AM   #17
jimcorbin

Indy

"Police FAM" I would believe stands for "Federal Air Marshal" I could be wrong though...
Old August 1, 2007, 10:53 AM   #18
Pat H

Yes, it's apparently something called a VIPR mission...
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/vipr_cities.shtm

Looks like "that time" is rushing towards us.
Old August 1, 2007, 11:14 AM   #19
Manedwolf

Visual Intermodal Protection and Response

O_o

Quote:
VIPR teams were also deployed to several locations in the South Station area, with TSA participating in vehicle observation on the ramp leading to the station's parking garage in concert with the transit police.
So. Tax dollars going to people to stand outside a parking garage and watch cars drive past.

Are we safe, yet?
Old August 1, 2007, 11:47 AM   #20
9mmHP

This wasn't just visual though. The TSA had the blue latex gloves and were searching people.
Old August 1, 2007, 11:48 AM   #21
JR47

Yet, if some whacko, home-grown or Al-Queda, manges to Oklahoma City another federal building, we'll be right in there, blaming the government.

Why is it that all TSA workers are " minimally-trained drones" to some people here? That's like calling all doctors quacks, all lawyers thieves, and all gun-owners amoral psychopaths.

Let's see how many CCW holders are face down on the ground before we blather on about them, shall we? Besides, nobody has mentioned any local cops in place yet. The Federal Air Marshals enjoy a good reputation, and might just have brought the point up to the "drones".
Old August 1, 2007, 11:58 AM   #22
Dave.H

Quote:
Let's see how many CCW holders are face down on the ground before we blather on about them, shall we? Besides, nobody has mentioned any local cops in place yet. The Federal Air Marshals enjoy a good reputation, and might just have brought the point up to the "drones".
It just depends. The majority of people in this state that have no interest in guns don't even really realize there is a license to allow people to carry and this license even allows open carry, so I wouldn't be suprised if someone "freaked out". Though I will give them the bennifit of the doubt until I have reason not to. But that alone doesn't justify what they are doing. Why don't they spend time patrolling neighborhoods looking for broad daylight burgleries or patrol the high car jacking areas? Seriously, we have never had an issue on public transportation here and yet crime is increasing in other areas.

Its one thing for them to VISUALLY keep an eye on the busses or ride along, but its another thing to search all passengers, unless there was some legitimate threat I don't know about. I think this behavior is pretty close to crossing the line if its not already over.

I might have to meander through downtown on the way home tonight to see this setup for my own eyes. It has sparked my curiousity.
Old August 1, 2007, 12:05 PM   #23
Manedwolf

Quote:
Why is it that all TSA workers are " minimally-trained drones" to some people here? That's like calling all doctors quacks, all lawyers thieves, and all gun-owners amoral psychopaths.
Uh...because the TSA are mostly minimally trained dones? Ever hear of calling a spade a spade?

Doctors and lawyers go to school for about eight years. TSA people are hired off the street and given minimal training, and only need a high school education.

Some have even been ex-cons.

See what you think of them next time you get hassled by one in an airport for having a tiny nail clipper, while tests constantly get fake bombs and guns right past them.
Old August 1, 2007, 12:12 PM   #24
Gator Monroe

I would love to see our Innercities (Large Cities) to look like Israel With Armed Troops and well armed LEO's and TSA types and even ICE and Border Agents in the Mix everywhere and Cameras that make London look [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] world in compparason
Old August 1, 2007, 12:14 PM   #25
Manedwolf

Quote:
I would love to see our Innercities (Large Cities) to look like Israel With Armed Troops and well armed LEO's and TSA types and even ICE and Border Agents in the Mix everywhere and Cameras that make London look [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] world in compparason
I sincerely hope you're joking. If not, move to North Korea, please. You'll be "safe". :barf: