The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1
even11

PPS Range report

Well, I finally got to the range tonight. I bought my PPS from Ken (Wildalaska) and put ~175 rounds through it today. Some gun show special ammo advertised as blank boxed WWB 124gr TMJ.

1 FTF (didn't go all the way into battery) at about 75 rds. Other than that the gun functioned perfect. Impromptu cleaning and re oil at 100 rds.

I used the smaller backstrap almost exclusively as the larger one put my hand up too high and rubbed my thumb knuckle raw against the upper part of the frame where it hooks back and runs parallel to the slide. (dunno what to call that part/area)

I cycled through the 3 mags it comes with regularly. It seemed to have a bit more recoil with the 6 rounder than the other 2, probably due to less to grip on and control it.

I shot it at 5,7, and 10 yard ranges, shooting offhand only and fairly quickly. It seemed to fire better the further away I got from the targets. I don't know if it was my un-familiarity with the gun, or the break in period, rushing my shots or what, but I couldn't get it to group well. Each mag would have a flier or two. Best non-flier group was 7 shots at 10 yards and about 2.5".

It definitely printed high and left also, I'm sure a simple sight adjustment would fix the left part. The manual says other front sights will be available soon to fix the high part.

Recoil seemed stiff for as small and heavy as it is, especially on the 6 rounder. My brother agreed the recoil was surprising on it. It was very easy to bring right back to target however. The other 2 guns we had to fire tonight was his XD9SC and my PP in .32. I would put the PPS and the PP very similarly in the recoil dept. The XD9SC was a pussycat in comparison though.

All in all, its is a nice solid well built gun, should be an excellent carry piece after some break in time. Was it fun to fire? Not really. Slim, small carry pistols aren't usually though. Plus, its doubly frustrating when I can't put together a clean group.

I'll post more when I can go shoot it again, hopefully from a rest this time.
-Dane
Old August 3, 2007, 06:05 AM   #2
PSP

Thanks, been waiting for PPS info.
Old August 3, 2007, 06:55 AM   #3
xrocket

I've been waiting too for a range report. Post pictures when you can.

Good shooting
Old August 5, 2007, 11:29 AM   #4
even11

The latest Guns & Ammo has a range review on this gun too, but theirs is not a 1st edition version so I think the regular one should be out very soon. I cleaned the heck out of mine, and will be going to the range again soon.

-Dane
Old August 5, 2007, 07:30 PM   #5
even11

Xrocket- Check out these links, 2 more range reports and a metric ton of pictures. My digi cam is junk so I'd rather not post anything from it on here.

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5829

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5784

-Dane

Last edited by even11; August 5, 2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: links didn't work