The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: how many drinks....?
0 129 72.47%
1-2 40 22.47%
3-4 2 1.12%
>4 7 3.93%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1
hoytinak

Drinking while concealed carrying....?

I know the laws vary by state but where it's legal how many of you drink while carrying? I will have a beer while out for lunch or dinner with some friends but that's it.
Old August 30, 2007, 08:09 AM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Never.

Why would you voluntarily impair yourself, even just a little bit; even if it's legal?

You carry this gun for protection of self and others. You practice, practice, practice at the range under a variety of conditions. You do drills so you can draw smoothly and quickly from concealment. You spend hard-earned money and time testing firearms, ammunition and magazines until you find the combination that works best for you. You spend money and time on training. You spend money on a permit. You live your life in an elevated state of alertness. This is an investment in your life. You've spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on a reliable gun and reliable ammunition, the absolute best that you can afford; and then you go and make yourself unreliable.

Never.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old August 30, 2007, 08:11 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

No way. Not any. If I'm gonna have a drink, I stick my CCW gun into a lock box in the pickup first.
Old August 30, 2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Jacobie

I thought alcohol and fireams were always a good mix?

yes, I am be sarcastic
Old August 30, 2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Neophyte1

NC Law: do not drink and carry or have on your person.
Do not carry or have on your person while 'consuming'

Spent to much time fretting over getting CCW; to jeopardize my family,friends,neighbors,my ass: to the moment of consuming.

there aint no such thing as having a Designated Driver while carry/consuming and driving,riding,pushing,pulling: both/all behinds get into the bind.

Craig
Old August 30, 2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Justme

I have thought about this a fair amount. I like to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. I am still legally fine to drive a car, which is a dangerous thing to do. However, I have ready plenty of literature that supports my perception that even one drink affects reflexes and co-ordination and general central nervous system functioning.

I came to this conclusion. While driving a car I have a modest cushion of safety based on experience etc. but since a CCW is a "last resort" type of thing, by definition there is zero safety cushion. No cushion, no drink, so when I go out to eat I don't go places I feel I would need a gun and leave the gun at home locked up
Old August 30, 2007, 08:43 AM   #7
rantingredneck

It's totally illegal here in NC. No alcohol content allowable in your blood at all while carrying.

That being said, even if it were legal I'd avoid it. I would think it would look bad even if the incident you were involved in was justifiable. Beyond the legal issues, there are the strategic ones. Slowed reaction time, impaired judgement.

Just bad news period........
Old August 30, 2007, 10:34 AM   #8
Tanzer

Sometimes when you walk into a restaurant the hostess wants to sit you in the bar area. Many is the time I've had to request another table because I don't want to be in that room with a weapon. We usually end up getting seated near the bathroom or kitchen out of spite. I just remind them that tipping is optional.

This is especially tough if you've been to a rifle league match, because you want to talk about it. We try to hold that conversation for the car.

I stay away from it totally. A permit is really hard to get where I am, and I don't want to jeapordize it.
Old August 30, 2007, 11:04 AM   #9
OuTcAsT

+1 I think the BluesMan summed it up perfectly. NEVER

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old August 30, 2007, 11:10 AM   #10
nate45

Quote:
Sometimes when you walk into a restaurant the hostess wants to sit you in the bar area. Many is the time I've had to request another table because I don't want to be in that room with a weapon.
One of the key aspects of any self defense system or method is avoiding trouble in the first place.

Being in a bar around people under the influence of alcohol and perhaps imbiding yourself, even if only one or two drinks, while carrying a loaded weapon is not in my estimation avoiding trouble.

It is asking for it.
Old August 30, 2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Tanzer

/\ I think I see your point nate, but I wasn't referring to a dive. I'm speaking of those chain restaurants that have the "casual" room and yes, there is a bar there. Most restaurants serve drinks, and sometimes I get hungry. I guess you'll have to trust my discretion. I ask for a table in another room so I can eat a meal and we can keep to ourselves. I live near a state line. In one state, I can't even be in the establishment with a weapon, and I'm not.
[QUOTE]Being in a bar around people under the influence of alcohol and perhaps imbiding yourself, even if only one or two drinks, while carrying a loaded weapon is not in my estimation avoiding trouble.[/QUOTE
This is exactly what I am avoiding. I'm not going to tell the waitress why I don't want to be there. I sure as heck wouldn't order alcohol.
Old August 30, 2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Hobie

In VA it is a BAD thing. Best to avoid any alcohol (aside from communion wine). Since I carry 100% I now drink 0% of the time.

That is a separate issue from the CHP ban in restaurants serving alcohol here in VA.

Hobie
Shooting With Hobie
Old August 30, 2007, 12:32 PM   #13
nate45

Tanzer

I was agreeing with you not questioning your judgment.

I thought you were exactly right and was just expounding on your example.
Old August 30, 2007, 12:34 PM   #14
redblair

I put the same amount of alcohol in me when I'm near guns as I do when I'm driving which is ZERO. The risk of injury/ death with even the slightest impairment is way too high.

B

Dec. 15, 1791
Old August 30, 2007, 12:37 PM   #15
Yellowfin

I'll have a single beer while I'm cleaning my gear at home but anything other than that no way. If I were to carry I'd never drink while out because of responsibility AND budget considerations: buying a carry piece + ammo = no drinking money left.
Old August 30, 2007, 01:22 PM   #16
Tanzer

Nate.
Gotcha. Sorry 'bout that, but actually you brought up a good point. Just because it's a chain doesn't mean they don't serve jerks. I don't mind being reminded to use caution, even if it was by my misunderstanding.
Old August 30, 2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Bigfatts

IMNSHO it is never acceptable to imbibe while carrying. If I know I will be somewhere I would like to partake, a party or something, I will not carry. That's just me though. It would only take the whiff of one beer on your breath to get you crucified by the prosecution.
Old August 30, 2007, 07:11 PM   #18
Marko Kloos

It makes no logical sense to gain an edge over a potential assailant through weapon mastery and training, and then imbibe something that'll take away that edge by mucking up your reaction time, situational awareness, and motor skills.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old August 30, 2007, 07:25 PM   #19
Thunderhawk88

I don't drink, and I also don't think anyone should imbibe while carrying.
Old August 30, 2007, 08:10 PM   #20
hpg

In my state you are NOT supposed to be in a bar with your CCW on your person. I suppose an eating establishment is different though...........hpg
Old August 31, 2007, 07:17 PM   #21
spctim11

This is why I dont CCW it is the only reason why I never applied for a permit to carry. Because if I had a permit it would go everywheres with me, to include tail gating and parties etc...
Old August 31, 2007, 09:59 PM   #22
mvpel

New Hampshire has NEVER had a law banning guns in bars or drinking while armed, and our violent crime rate and such remains among the very lowest in the nation - usually in the bottom two, just above Vermont - and among the lowest in the world.

The new Murphy's Taproom on Elm Street in Manchester, with a Free Stater as its proprietor and namesake, welcomes armed customers, and they've had ZERO fights and only one unruly patron removed by police since they opened on May 1.

The previous establishment at that location, Omega, frisked its patrons at the door in order to disarm them, and yet had nearly nightly police calls for fights, shootings, stabbings, etc, and it finally lost its liquor license because it was a blight on the city.

Quote:
This is why I dont CCW it is the only reason why I never applied for a permit to carry. Because if I had a permit it would go everywheres with me, to include tail gating and parties etc...
So what?

Superstition is self-enslavement. Free your mind!
1 Samuel 13:19
Old August 31, 2007, 10:27 PM   #23
Trapper L

Here's the way I see it. You had one beer with friends and family and are going out to leave in your car when confronted by a group of young gang members. They want your money. Not wanting to hurt anybody you give them your wallet. Now one of the newbys needs his "right of passage" into this gang so he gets out his dandy 6" knife and proceeds to show off to his friends how bad he is and is threatening to carve you up like a turkey. So, to defend yourself, you kill the creep who is armed with a knife and claiming to do you harm. What do you think his familys attorney is going to do with your story? You've been drinking. They don't care how much because you will have stated that you had a beer. Now did you have one or is your memory hazy from more than one? Since you were obviously messed up, did little Joey actually threaten you? Here's is where you will lose your lifes savings and the farm. If you carry you better not have alcohol in your system or expect an attorney to bury you. Doesn't matter what the law states about drinking and carrying, it just makes good sense not to mix the two.
Old August 31, 2007, 11:12 PM   #24
Gary L. Griffiths

One or two drinks -- same as when I'll be driving. And for the same reason.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 1, 2007, 03:48 AM   #25
skeeter

Drinking while carrying is dumb. You carry to protect yourself and family but drinking makes you less likely to do that plus you are more likely to hurt others.
I see it as no different than drinking and driving.