The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: When to get a chronograph...
Never, not necessary at all 5 7.35%
Right away, as soon as you start reloading 19 27.94%
Only after you've managed some accurate loads 10 14.71%
As soon as you can afford a good one 34 50.00%
What's a chronograph?? 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 14, 2007, 08:57 AM   #1
O6nop

Chronograph necessity?

Just wondering peoples opinions on how important it is to own and use a chronograph
Old September 14, 2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Edward429451

I loaded for a lot of years with no chrony and made some good loads which have now been confirmed with my chrony. Since using a chrony, my handloading quality took a huge leap forward overall.

Chronographs tell you so much more than just velocity.
Old September 14, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3
snuffy

Necessary, no, a great tool to tell you more about what you're doing, yes.

Working up a load, then shooting at paper tells you that 1, it worked, 2, it hits the paper with a certain group. You do NOT know the velocity, the consistency expressed as extreme spread ES, AND most important IF you're working up to maximum, you don't know if you're getting an even increase in velocity, as the powder amounts are increased. Velocity SHOULD increase,(the same amount), with each increment in powder increase. If it does NOT then you are running into pressure.

It also gives you a known velocity for whatever load you're using. That allows you to plug that figure into a ballistic program to figure drop, wind drift and trajectory. Using what the reloading manual says is seldom correct. Different factors can make your rifle, handgun, shotgun, or muzzle loader not do what they're supposed to do, as far as velocity goes.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 14, 2007, 12:04 PM   #4
jdmick

It's a valuable tool and for less than $70 the Shooting Chrony does all I need.
Old September 14, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5
LHB1

Necessary? NO Extremely helpful? YES

Only way to tell exactly what velocity you are getting and what difference occurs when you change components, charge weights, etc. I STRONLY recommend a good chronograph for advanced/serious reloaders.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 14, 2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Wildalaska

You put powder in the case you need to chrony it (caveat....rifles, handguns I dont see it is necessary unless you have certain parameters you need to meet)

All the Chronys on the market are good enough for the casual reloader, your choice of a more expensive one is based on your needs. I have had good luck with the CED, YMMV.

WildlovingeveryonetodayAlaska TM
Old September 14, 2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Scorch

I would say a chrono is one of the "nice to have" toys. Not really necessary, but it's really the only way to know how fast your loads are. You can do just fine for a long time without one, though.
Old September 14, 2007, 03:13 PM   #8
pdawg_shooter

I loaded for many years before I had a chronograph. After I got one I used the hell out of it for a few months, now I hardly ever get it out any more. I load for accuracy, not speed. When I get a really good load I "may" check the velocity, but not often.
Old September 14, 2007, 06:22 PM   #9
rugerdude29

Not an absolute necessity, but they are nice. I went several years without one, but when I finally got one I found that I used it quite a bit. Use it most now when working up new loads. For $100 my Chrony Beta Master does everything I need it to and then some.
Old September 14, 2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Hunter0924

I will agree that they are not absolutely necessary but are a very useful tool to have especially if you are looking to confirm consistency. I used a ProChrony many years and upgraded to a CED last year.
Old September 14, 2007, 07:49 PM   #11
Redneck with a 40

I've really enjoyed my Chrony, I bough the shooting chrony at Sportsmans Warehouse for $90. Being able to see the velocity of my reloads and the spread of the velocity is really cool, tells me how consistent my loads are.
Old September 15, 2007, 06:26 PM   #12
armedandsafe

I started reloading and hand loading in the late 40's. I didn't get a chronograph for my shooting until the late 60's. Because my loads are pretty stable in the accuracy department and prety pedestrian in the defence department, I don't have much need for a chronograph except in black powder load development. However, I find that it is a fun addition to my bag of tricks.

It also impresses the dickens out of students when I drag it out and set it up.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old September 15, 2007, 06:42 PM   #13
rwilson452

A chonograph becomes almost essential of your going to be doing some real long range shooting say greater than 800 yards
Old September 15, 2007, 11:21 PM   #14
Mtn Hawk

Besides showing the exact velocities of loads, and helping the reloader to fine tune them and determine the best powder to use, I think a chronograph is good to have for safety reasons. If a load significantly exceeds the velocity listed in a manual for a specific powder charge then that could indicate a pressure problem.
Old September 18, 2007, 08:02 AM   #15
Linear Thinker

A chronograph is important if you are a (drum roll, please) Serious Reloader. It automates your endless search for that "perfect load". It looks impressive on the range, and instantly elevates your status.

All kidding aside, a chronograph will short cut much of your load development. If you load for multiple calibers, and/or like to experiment with different powders/bullets, you need a chronograph.

While not a 100% rule, the loads with the lowest SD have proved themselves more accurate for me. This topic has been argued before, both in print and on the boards, but my SD measurement guides my load development. You need a chrono for that.

Get a printing unit, much easier to use. I bought a 35P when Dr. Ken came out with it, the best $$ I've spent. They are only available used nowadays.

LT
Old September 18, 2007, 09:11 AM   #16
FatWhiteMan

I used to be in the "as soon as you can afford a good one crowd". With those Chronys for under $100, I had to say "as soon as you start reloading".
Old September 18, 2007, 10:02 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

A chronograph is a nice thing to have, but hardly a necessity.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 30, 2007, 06:24 PM   #18
wncchester

Mike is right. The key word in the question is not "nice to have" but a "neccessity".

Cartridge reloading goes back to the 1800s. Ballistic chronographs became sufficently inexpensive and easy for us to own and use (sky screens) in what, the 1980s?
Old September 30, 2007, 07:11 PM   #19
Sarge

If you stick precisely to the books, and stay 5% under 'max' loads, you won't need one. You'll still be able to build safe, servicable loads.

If however you want to load right up against 'max', I suggest you get one.

I loaded almost 30 years before I bought one. I have used the heck out of it, since I did. Just this summer I used it to build four specialty loads. I wanted:
  • a SAFE top-end 30-30 load, that would match the WW 150 POI to 200 yards
  • a cheap .357/158/HP load that would break 1100 fps from my 2" SP101,
  • a low-velocity small-game load for my .45 auto,
  • and I wanted to confirm my near-max 30-06 Nosler/150/BT load.

All had to be safe; all had to be accurate. I wanted the two rifle loads to use the same powder, and the .45 load to use the same powder as my target load. The .357 load needed to shoot near POI (fixed sights) with Federal 125 Mags and .38/148 wadcutter loads- at 25 yards. In fact I wasn't going to adjust sights for ANY of these loads- they had to conform to the gun they were going to be used in.

The Chrony told me where I was gaining ground, where I was wasting time, and which powders would NOT meet my specs without crowding pressures, and which loads were consistent. I paid attention and kept notes. The target told me the rest. Consequently I met all goals, wasted very few components and managed to not blow myself up. Got it all done in just a few weeks between 'summer chores'- no small feat.

Bottom line? If you're just building ammo to fling downrange, and you re-read my first paragraph- you don't need a chronograph. If you really want to optimize your reloading though- you'll get one. I believe if you're starting fresh, you'll probably save enough in wasted components to pay for the machine itself.

PS- I didn't vote in this poll. I would have neede the option that says "Depends on what you're trying to accomplish."
Old October 5, 2007, 06:29 AM   #20
qajaq59

Yes, you need to buy one....... That is, unless you can get a buddy to let you shoot his.

Kidding aside, they are not an absolute necessity, but they can be quite helpful.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:09 AM   #21
rwilson452

IF your into long range shooting, A chronograph will allow you to know the velocity of yur round. The published velocities are a rough estimate. Coupled with balistic software you can compute the bullet drop at greater ranges, At shorter ranges you can compute your best point blank range. If you just shooting paper at a range over a know distance this procedure is not needed. of course for close pistol work it not going to be of much help.
Old October 5, 2007, 08:31 AM   #22
Martyn4802

Scorch nailed it.
I have a Crony that I bought 6 years ago, and have never used it.
My criteria is accuracy first, and whatever velocity results is fine, and not even important to me. From experience, I can estimate the velocity based on powder charge, bullet weight and barrel length, for estimating hold over at distant targets.
I do know that for long range varmint hunting, knowing the exact velocity can provide drop figures that are important to making a hit down range. I just make a SWAG on drop, and go fo it.
If I was 50 years younger, I'd be playing with a Crony every time I went to the range.. But, at age 73 it just isn't that important to me to know exact velocity. But, shooting less than 1/2" groups at 100 yards is VERY important.
And, there is some rationale for what I do now. If I estimate my velocity at some reasonable number, and the actuals are off by 50 fps, the drop error is virtually insignificant for practical purposes. The ideal way to determine drop is to actually shoot the distance out to the longest shot I'll take, say 500 yards, or 600, whatever.
Look, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a chronograph. I'm just at the point where the actual velocity isn't important to me.
YMMV

Martyn