The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2007, 04:10 AM   #1
BlueDragon

Smith And Wesson 4043 question about grip.

Saw a 4043 in the store, for 300 something, in good condition, minus the grip. it looks like a dog chewed it up or something, plus i dont like the grip because it's flat, like the grips found on 4006 pistols. I was wanting to get another set of factory SW plastic grips, but i would like to find a set that has the curve to the backstrap... like that our found on the 5906 series of pistols. does anyone know what i am talking about ? and if so do u know where i could find a set in case i do decide to buy the gun...?
Old September 17, 2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Cremon

You can get S&W third generation semi auto grips and other parts from Midway. I hated the plastic factory grips anyway. For my 4516s, I replaced the plastic grips with Hogue wooden grips. If you want factory, go with Midway - if you want custom (rubber, wood or anything else) look at the grips Hogue has.
Old September 17, 2007, 05:25 PM   #3
BlueDragon

ive read that some smiths have a curved and some have a striaght? are they just speaking of the style of the grip itself? or will i not be able to put a set of curved grips on this smith being it right now has a flat backstrap?
Old September 18, 2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Cremon

With S&W, I have two 4516's and a 659. Neither one came with a curved back but I was able to get a wood grip that did curve for my 4516s. Check the pics below. (The 4516 did not have a backstrap at all. The 659 does, and it is straight. You might want to check Hogue grips. That's where I got the wood grips for my 4516s. My 659 has a rubber Pachmayr grip like the one pictured below, except that mine has rubber over the back strap too.

4516 with curved wood grip

Old September 18, 2007, 04:34 PM   #5
BlueDragon

So i take it that the factory curved backstraped grips can fit on the 4043 even though it is currently mounted with a straight backstrap grip? Reason i am interested in the factory grips and not houges,being the houges feel to large in my hands. compared to the plastics. Plus i have no problems with the checkered plastic. I just like it to have a curve to it.
Old September 19, 2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Cremon

I have very large hands. I had to change the grips. But I understand where you are coming from.