The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
sholling

Well I Went And Did It - Taurus 24/7

I had no intention of buying a pistol today. Like I have room in the safe for another. Of course being an avid gun guy I couldn't pass the pistol counter without leaving nose prints on the glass. It's an addiction I tell you. I'm not even a plastic gun kinda guy except for my Kahr. I've looked at and dry fired the Glocks, XD's and M&Ps in the past and always got away without opening my wallet. Nice weapons but they just didn't grab a hold of me and scream take me home. I'm just completely spoiled by 1911 triggers. Then today this 24/7 in 40S&W started calling my name. I was confident and absolutely secure in my knowledge that no plastic pistol was going to suck me in. Then I felt that silky trigger. I hadn't handled a Taurus semiautomatic since the original PT111 and that had a trigger that felt like someone had poured sand in it. This was silky. Long but smooth and amazingly light for a DA pistol. This could be the perfect DA trigger. It was love at first squeeze. I had to have it.

It's on layaway for a couple of weeks, but I'll have it soon and can't wait to shoot it. If it's half as much fun as I expect then I will have the 45 version in my possession as well by next summer if not Christmas.

Ok Taurus people help me select some 3 dot night sights for it. Maybe some holster suggestions.
Old September 17, 2007, 08:07 PM   #2
kristop64089

Scholling

Tell me what all you like on the 24/7. I am looking at those, the Kahr(CW40, which while I loved the feel, did not appear to be a "great" gun) and the pt140.

I mainly looking for a multi purpose gun. With concealibility being King
Old September 17, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
sholling

kristop64089,

I wouldn't describe the 24/7 as a concealed carry weapon but I guess if you are big enough. The 24/7 is about the same size as a Colt 1911 Commander but slightly thicker around the grip. The Taurus Millennium PT* series is their concealed carry line, with both single stack and double stack versions available. Anyway to answer your question I liked the way it fit my hand. Glocks don't fit my hand well. I also liked the $400 price for a brand new handgun. But what I liked most of all was the trigger. I've never experienced a trigger this silky in a plastic pistol and the break was perfect. I suspect that it won't belong before I'm shooting it as well as my 1911s, well almost as well as my 1911s. I also like the way it looks. I just wish our commissars in Sacramento trusted us with full sized magazines.

*Note: I have not tried a PT series pistol in years and cannot speak for them.

Edit: Although I had zero intension of buying a pistol today, in this case I preferred a larger mid-sized pistol. I have a Kahr PM40 and a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45acp. I don't need another short barreled pistol with the resulting questionable bullet velocities. Those two and a NA in 22WMR cover my full range of CC requirements. If you've read my earlier threads you'll see that I've agonized over ammunition selection for shorties. If I was going to do this I wanted full boat velocities. In fact I wish they made it in a 10MM. That I would buy!
Old September 17, 2007, 09:01 PM   #4
eggie1000

take a look at the 24/7 compacts i have one in 40cal the 45 compact just came out about the same size as the mil pro.
Old September 17, 2007, 09:28 PM   #5
Taurus_9mm

Congratulations on your fine purchase. I'll be adding the OSS model to my stable when they come out.
Old September 18, 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
TheNatureBoy

Prepare to get raked over the coals by Taurus haters. As I said in previous posts, I owned a 27/7 9mm and loved it. I traded it to a friend because he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was accurate, and I cleaned it only after it it choked once after 700+ rounds had been pumped through it. Probably fired 300 more rounds through it after that without a gag. I intend to purchase another (Pro-LS or OSS) after I get some feedback on them.
Old September 18, 2007, 03:43 PM   #7
TheNatureBoy

Prepare to get raked over the coals by Taurus haters. As I said in previous posts, I owned a 24/7 9mm and loved it. I traded it to a friend because he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was accurate, and I cleaned it only after it it choked once after 700+ rounds had been pumped through it. Probably fired 300 more rounds through it after that without a gag. I intend to purchase another (Pro-LS or OSS) after I get some feedback on them.
Old September 18, 2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Manedwolf

Enjoy it!

AFAIK, you can get Trijicons for them. I have Williams Firesights on my MilPro PT745 instead, as I prefer that.
Old September 18, 2007, 04:59 PM   #9
sholling

It looks like nobody makes night sights for the 24/7. I may have to cancel for that reason. My three go-to pistols all have either Trijicons or Mepros, neither of which makes a sight for the 24/7. It's a really nice pistol except for the sights - I hate Heinie dot over dot. The darn thing is wonderfully thin, and almost carry small, and has an excellent trigger. But I will not have a go-to pistol without night sights. I've asked my dealer to give me some time to think on it and he wants me to look at the selection M&Ps he has coming in next month.