The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 24, 2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Z400ACDC

22-250 for deer hunting?

Would my Remington 700BDL be acceptable for deer? I have deer behind my home daily. I have prosthetic legs and thought I might try hunting since I could do it without to much travel. I shoot often(mostly pistols) but have never hunted. Would the 22-250 be big enough? THANKS!!!
Old September 24, 2007, 02:12 PM   #2
taylorce1

First off is a .22 caliber center fire legal to hunt with in KY? If it is then with the right bullet selection and proper shot placement the .22-250 will work. The .22-250 is not legal in my State nor would it be my first choice of deer rifles but it will kill them.
Old September 24, 2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Enough gun...

Z400ACDC--Glad you want to get out hunting in spite of limitations! That's great!

As to weapons: I'm sure you will get posters saying they have killed deer with various .22 cal weapons, the .22-250 among them. However, this requires expert shooting and superb shot placement (or a lot of dumb luck) to avoid a nastily wounded but still highly mobile deer that has to be tracked a long way, with less and less probability of recovery every inch of the way, and if the deer escapes it will die a lingering death.

Not something I personally would wish on any animal, let alone want to inflict.

The .243 Win is regarded by most commentators as the minimum cartridge for consistent, humane killing of deer-sized game. And even with this cartridge, good shooting, knowledge of anatomy, and careful shot placement are essential. This cartridge is also noted for its mild recoil.

So I can do no better than to echo something that has been said before: "Use enough gun!" Which to me means, for deer, a .243 Win at the minimum. We all have to respect our own limitations, but we also owe respect to the game we pursue.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 24, 2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Picher

I've killed several deer with the .22-250 using old Nosler solid-based Zipedo bullets, but had a few get away due to deflection of the bullet on smallish branches.

Although I still have a .22-250, I don't use it for deer. After a bad experience, I also don't lend it to people to have them use it for that either. It takes a bit of self-control to limit shots to high-probability kills.

Federal Premium .22-250 factory cartridges with Nosler Partitions are made for medium game such as deer. They probably work pretty well. When deer are hit well with the .22-250, they usually go down very quickly.

Due to the relatively light bullets, shots should be limited to very clear shots at heart, lung and neck, preferably from the side of the animal. Quartering shots and longer frontal shots can be a problem with such light bullets.

Picher
Old September 24, 2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

22-250 is not legal in my state... if you are mobility challenged, I'd be shooting for over kill rather than marginal in bullet / cartridge choice... just to cut down on trailing the animal, after it's shot... I'm sure with exact shot placement, & proper bullet selection a 22-250 could easily drop a deer, but I'd be more likely to choose 7mm - 45 caliber for a one shot drop... cartridge depending on expected distance of the shot... but I'm leaning towards recommending .308 / 30-06 without knowing more specifics...
Old September 24, 2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Trapp

Hmm...

Hunting out of your backyard? I am assuming you have a very comfortable place to shoot. Maybe a nice bench set-up? Probably get a lot of practice on that 22-250.

If the deer are as close as 50yds and you can shoot 1" groups at 100yds, I say "Go for it!!"

Having prosthetics I would recommend a neck/base of the skull shot. Devastate the spinal cord that high up and you get a humane kill with no tracking.
Old September 24, 2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Z400ACDC

Thanks for the help!
What rifle should I buy? I will be shooting between 100-200 yards.
Old September 24, 2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

IMO, your choice of rifle is good... my 1st choices on cartridge at that distance would be the .308, 30-06, but nothing smaller than 7mm-08 or 270...

BTW... Savage has some very attractive rifle & scope packages out there right now...
Old September 24, 2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Davis

Not that I would recommend it, but I do know folks who use a 22-250 on deer at short range.

Davis
Old September 24, 2007, 04:41 PM   #10
kingudaroad

When my oldest son was 11 years old I borrowed a 22-250 from a friend because of the mild recoil and off we went deer hunting. He shot 4 deer that weekend with five shots. One he gutshot and had to finish him off with an extra round. The rest fell in their tracks.

Now we are talking about Texas hill country young smallish deer. But not only was he not an expert but he was a young boy who had never fired a rifle before. All shots were 80 to 100 yards.

That little 22-250 impressed me and made one very happy boy.
Old September 24, 2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

This can be a touchy subject. Having said that, yes a 22-250 can kill deer. With good shot placement, and limited fairly close set ranges, this caliber can kill deer humanely. There are some people who hunt out in TX, and a 22-250 is all they use. They are having good results from what they have said. Shot placement is the most crucial element in killing a deer vs knockdown power and bullet size and weight. But having said that, too, remember why use a slingshot when there are more appropriate choices for the job. Personally in my opinion, a 243 is more better suited for taking deer at the ranges you speak of. A 25-06 would be better yet. My son killed his first deer with a 25-06 a few years ago. The 7mm-08, 270, 30-06 or 308 would all work. If I had to pick one out of all of these, the 270 would be hard to beat. Shoots flat, and is perfect for deer sized game.

Brad
Old September 24, 2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

In Kentucky, any centerfire cartridge is legal to hunt with. With that said, I'd be very reluctant to shoot a deer at 100 - 200 yards with a 22-250. I'd certainly go .243 or on up. Part of hunting is doing it as humane as possible and to ensure that, you must use an appropriate caliber. As you know, you don't always make the perfect shot.

I'm glad you are getting a chance to hunt and I hope you do well. If I were you, I'd look at a .308. Great power, accurate and the recoil is moderate.
Old September 24, 2007, 08:24 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

Aim for the neck

Steady clean neck shot, you bet. Will drop it in its tracks, which is important if you have a hard time getting around on your prosthetic legs (no tracking). In fact, there's probably few better rounds for neck shots on deer. Hit it dead center of the neck.

Vitals shot, NO, it's quite marginal - use something bigger - even a .223 with 60+ grain soft point or ballistic tip would be better than an exploding .22-250 bullet for a vitals shot - not ethical unless you're 1,000% sure you're missing the legs/shoulder blades and going into the vitals dead-on broadside. We've discussed .22-250 at length for deer in the hunting forum. Castnblast has used it successfully for deer. Bullet selection is more important than caliber if you must try this. Use at least a 55 grain soft point, IMO - not a varmint round - no hollowpoints.

But ideally, grab at least a .44 mag, .30-30 win, or .243 win, to minimize chance of wounding.
Old September 24, 2007, 08:30 PM   #14
Hawg

Personally I won't use anything smaller than a .308. Shot placement is just too critical with the smaller calibers. Not saying you won't lose deer with a bad shot from a .308 and up but it's less likely.
Old September 24, 2007, 08:45 PM   #15
fisherman66

In your situation I'd focus on neck shots. For that the super 22's will do fine.

Quote:
Personally I won't use anything smaller than a .308.
The .22-250 is longer than the .308 I believe. I assume you mean .30 caliber. With modern bullet design bigger does not always mean better, not that I have a problem with your choice. I feel that the quarter bore up to the .30 cals occupy the sweet spot for deer and similar game for most shots (raking and other).
Old September 24, 2007, 09:30 PM   #16
garryc

I'd get a savage stevens in 308. Bud's gun shop has them for $269.13 delivered. Of course you'll have to pay your local dealer for the paperwork.
Old September 24, 2007, 10:22 PM   #17
TPAW

Quote:
Would my Remington 700BDL be acceptable for deer? I have deer behind my home daily. I have prosthetic legs and thought I might try hunting
With all due respect, what if you had to track it? I'd go with a 30.06. Never know, one morning you might see a bear!.....
Old September 25, 2007, 04:56 AM   #18
tuck2

I have shot one deer with the 22-250 at about 150 Yds. One shot in the lungs droped it where it stood. I have some 60 Gr bullets loaded in a 220 Swift that I my use on deer this year. With 60 Gr Nosler Partition bullets you should be able to get 1,000 ft/lb energy out to about 175 yds. with your 22-250. A 243 Win would be better round but since you have the 22-250 get only bullets that are made for shooting big game and keep the shots under 200 Yds. and put the bullet into the heart lung area.
Old September 25, 2007, 11:45 AM   #19
Scorch

Typically, with varminting rounds (22-250 is a varminting round), you will see one of 2 results:
* Spectacular nose-to-toes one-shot kills that will happen so fast they absolutley take your breath away.
* Bullet failure/fragmentation that will blow out a chunk the size of your hand, and the wounded animal running off.

I have seen deer killed with a 22-250. It was spectacular. The deer dropped so fast we lost sight of it, but since we didn't see it running off we knew it was down.

I have no doubt a 22-250 can kill deer. But there is no margin of error. If you intend to hunt deer regularly, buy a deer-hunting rifle in a chambering that is appropriate for deer. A 243 or 7/08 or 308 would be a good option.
Old September 25, 2007, 04:42 PM   #20
castnblast

See the hunt. I just replied back so you could see the pictures for yourself and see if you think it is a big enough gun for white-tails...Neck shot and you'll never chase it. Take a look at the pix...I think you'll agree the damage is devistating. Key is use the RIGHT bullet. Sierra Game Kings, Nosler Partitions, or Trophy bonded bear claws. Those types will work just fine.

Last edited by castnblast; September 25, 2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old September 25, 2007, 04:47 PM   #21
Charles S

Quote:
Personally I won't use anything smaller than a .308. Shot placement is just too critical with the smaller calibers. Not saying you won't lose deer with a bad shot from a .308 and up but it's less likely.
Actually the local deer wear body armor here also I personally use nothing less than 50 BMG for white tails.

Sarcasm off.

There are a number of calibers that are wonderful for whitetail deer or any other deer that are smaller than the 308.

The 250 Savage, 257 Robers, 250-06, 260 Remington, 6.5X55, 6.5X284, 7-08, 7X57, 284 Winchester, 280 Remington, 30-30, and 300 Savage all come to mind. That is without any effort on my part and avoiding the 6mm calibers that are quite adequate with the proper loadings.

There is not need for a 308 on white tails, it is a great gun but it is not the minimum caliber.

With the proper bullet selection and a good shot the 22-250 is adequate. However there are much better choices if you are willing to spend a little money. If you are stuck with the 22-250 then dance with who brung yu choose a premium bullet like the Nolser Partition or the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (both loaded by Federal) and choose your shot carfully. Practice.

Deer are taken by the thousands with a bow yearly (I do it myself), you do not need a cannon to kill deer.
Old September 25, 2007, 05:12 PM   #22
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Well said Charles.

David killed Goliath with a stone, but he had some help, too. Now having said that, he was undergunned, and in most ordinary circumstances, more power would be needed.
Old September 25, 2007, 05:28 PM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
There is not need for a 308 on white tails, it is a great gun but it is not the minimum caliber.
It's MY minimum caliber. I've seen too many deer shot with .243's run off to suffer and die and not be recovered. My deer guns are 30-06's. With my hand loads in my rifles I'm confident in it out to 300 yds. I've killed a lot of deer with a 30-06 and so far never lost one or had to track one.

Quote:
you do not need a cannon to kill deer
I never said you did. A .308 is not a cannon. It is a very good, very accurate round for deer tho. Much better than the others you listed. IMHO of course.

When I feel the need to deer hunt with a cannon I'll take my .58 Enfield and I'll get just as many deer with it as you do your scoped inline.
Old September 25, 2007, 05:39 PM   #24
Charles S

Quote:
Much better than the others you listed. IMHO of course.
While I find the 308 to be a phenomenal cartridge it is not and never will be the equal of a 6.5X55, 6.5X284, 270, or 280 for deer.

Quote:
It is a very good, very accurate round for deer
Agreed.

If your shot placement requires more caliber that is fine for you, but the 308 is not the minimum caliber for deer.

I have never lost a deer nor had to track one and I have used a lot of calibers smaller than a 30-06. I have taken deer beyond 300 yards with smaller calibers (e.g. the 270).

I have attempted to track deer that were poorly shot with a 30-06 unsuccessfully. Shot placement is paramount, bullet selection is important, having enough gun is also important.

Quote:
When I feel the need to deer hunt with a cannon I'll take my .58 Enfield and I'll get just as many deer with it as you do your scoped inline.
I don't use an inline...I use a bow either a compound or a re-curve depending upon my desire at the time. Lately I fill my tags prior to modern gun season with my bow.
Old September 25, 2007, 05:50 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
If your shot placement requires more caliber that is fine for you, but the 308 is not the minimum caliber for deer.
Nothing wrong with my shot placement. I grew up hunting across bean fields where you've got to be good. As I said before it is MY minimum. I didn't respond to this to get in an argument so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.