The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Whirlwind06

Have a Ruger P89 should I get the Ruger P95 too?

I have a P89 which I'm very happy with. Shoots great, accurate it is my everyday carry gun. I had a P95 that I sold after only having it for a month or so. Had no problems with it, just sold it to finance a different pistol.

The logistics / tactical part of me says getting a P95 is a smart move. Both use the same mag, same manual of arms same ammo etc.

The wanting a new toy part of me say to get something else.

Just looking for some opinions.

Last edited by Whirlwind06; September 27, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old September 27, 2007, 01:53 PM   #2
darko

Go for it. Ruger autos may not get much love or recognition, or be the flavor of the month, but they are tuff, sturdy guns at an affordable price. When it comes to guns, once you get that itch for a particular pistol, it must be scratched.

28:06:42:12
Old September 27, 2007, 05:43 PM   #3
novaDAK

I have both a P89 and P95. I love them both
Old September 27, 2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Taurus_9mm

Yep, by all means get another P95. Darko nailed it with his assessment.
Old September 27, 2007, 07:16 PM   #5
bigghoss

do you really need any justifcation to buy a gun? if you want it, and can afford it, get it.

right now I have a p95 and I really like it. I also have a p345 and I love it. before I bought it I kept thinking "why do you want this? you are going to get a 1911 soon (the next month as it turned out) and down the line a hi-cap .45. why do you want this single stack pistol when you will be getting a hi-cap and a 1911 wich is also a single stack?'' short answer, because I do. so I did. ever since I stopped trying to be logical about gun purchases. especially since I'm single and make good money.

if I found a good deal on a p90 I would get one of those too.
Old September 27, 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I'll play the devil on this one. Why buy the same gun? Same ammo, same mag..... Do you really need two of the same gun?

With that said, if you are going to buy another gun, which I highly recommend, buy a different caliber, a different make, a different niche. If you don't have a revolver, take a look at one. Mouse gun? Big bore? The world is your oyster! Expand your bullet with butterfly wings and fly!
Old September 27, 2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Qwiks draw

Got two older P95DCs. One in blue and one in stainless. Like the trigger pull,feel,pointability and dureability. Polymer frame soaks up some recoil from an already soft recoil cartridge. Fits the CCW criterea better than the P89, good gun that it is.

The judgement of the above jury says,"Heck yes."

Just to throw a somewhat good monkey wrench into the works, Mec-Gar makes 17 shot mags that work with either pistol as well.

And... yes... they are dureable as well as functional.
Old September 27, 2007, 09:33 PM   #8
dispatcher

P95 is a great pistol. Mags and ammo same as P89. If that's what your looking for- do it.
Old September 27, 2007, 11:04 PM   #9
jakeswensonmt

I like Rugers. I have 4 (22/45, 10/22, GP100, KP89). The KP89 is my favorite handgun, love it.

That being said, I'm with Krezyhorse. Get something different. There are so many interesting weapons out there, and the P89 and P95 are too close to the same thing (despite the obvious differences.)
Old September 28, 2007, 12:36 AM   #10
denfoote

I don't see why not!!

Quote:
Have a Ruger P89 should I get the Ruger P95 too?
I have both.

I do prefer the P95, though.

I think you will find that the P95 is less top heavy.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old September 28, 2007, 12:40 AM   #11
dwatts47

I don't get it.

If one's an idpa match gun and the others a carried a lot-shot a little gun then I'd understand... sort of.

Being that those are probably Ruger's two least accurate models, I really don't get it.

But I don' mean to hate... buy as many as you can... just this choice I can't wrap my head around.
Old September 28, 2007, 02:27 AM   #12
ESI Agent

Have the P89 P90 P94 P95 had a P97 that I regret I sold. Other than that the P95 is a great firearm. Underated and as good as anything else on the market. Be safe.
Old September 29, 2007, 12:02 AM   #13
Sgt.Fathead

Ruger! Ruger! Ruger!

I follow a very ordered pattern in all of my major purchases be it a new vehicle, tool, power equipment, firearm, pair of boots, hunting gear, etc, etc. I see something that catches my eye, research it and it's competing products and then, more often than not, I buy it.

The first step of this process is the most important one. I have an inner dialogue with myself and question my motives. Do I need this thing? Is it replacing something that needs to be replaced or do I just want it? For the price of this thing, can I get a cheaper version that will do the job? Will I use it often enough to justify this price?

It all goes to Hell and back when I want a new Ruger. I just buy it. It's reliable, durable and well worth the price.
Old September 29, 2007, 01:25 AM   #14
denfoote

Quote:
Being that those are probably Ruger's two least accurate models, I really don't get it.
What??

Huh???

Fifteen rounds, fifteen yards, one quarter sized ragged hole.
I've only done it once, but the gun used was my P95!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old September 29, 2007, 07:21 AM   #15
DMZX

+1 denfoote,

My P95 is often just as accurate as my GP100, the shooter being the variable, especially when fired quickly.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:46 AM   #16
dwatts47

no disrespect intended...
But let's bench test any of my SiG 9mms against any of your rugers, then tell me it's just the shooter.

If you guys managed to get accurate p89s/p95s consider yourselves lucky.

The P89 was my first 'real' semi auto handgun long ago and it was so sloppily fit together that patterns we more what it shot. the p95 was slightly better. I'll give you that the GP100 can be a tack driver.... but Rugers made revolvers alot longer than they've made polymer semi autos.
Old September 29, 2007, 09:03 AM   #17
Qwiks draw

There are plenty of police departments that might find that one interesting. They have documented their findings as to their use of the Rugers. This includes the P89,P95(9mm.) and P90 (.45ACP).

Accuracy has been at or almost tack driving ability. For combat use that is all that is needed.

Accuracy for each pistol on a case by case basis with various loads can be tried until the combo that delivers acceptable accuracy and is a JHP come about.

That's how the criterea are based on. There are some generalizations that can be made about accuracy for a given brand but those are pretty broad as things stand.

At both the Ruger forums the owners talk about good accuracy, good solid performance, and the dureability of their pistols. This is not just a bias.

There are many professional shooting trainers and gun writers who state this as well as fact. Not hype.

One gun problem does not make a condemnation of a whole line. There are those who come in here and do just that or scoff at other's choices. They not need come in here to any thread if they do not like that particular arm. Yet they chose to do so.

If there is a flagrant solid proof that a brand is lousy then they would not be bought and the company goes out of business or the company drops the line completely.

Gun Tests lately has given the SIG GSR a 'conditional buy only' rating and said others should pass totally on used SIG 225s and why. SIG Mosquito got a "conditional buy" rating as well for poor DA and SA trigger pulls.All the reasons why are documented in their periodical. Guess I won't be buying any SIGs as they all are crap ,if I follow the logic.. or rather lack of, by the those who dump on any brand.

No brand of gun has the "upper hand" over all others in every department. That is subjective. Otherwise the gun buying public would foresake all other brands if that were totally true.

Not saying that there aren't occasional problems. All brands have and do. They're mechanical contrivances for Pete's sake.

There is a precedant for the P95 being a good gun.
What others are happy with,good for them. Glad what they have works for them.

I probably won't ever buy a SIG. Don't fit me and never will. Those who have them,great. Glad you like them.

Ruger P95 and P97 just barely fit.
Case by case basis of what works for each individual.
Old September 29, 2007, 02:05 PM   #18
MikeG

Quote:
I'll play the devil on this one. Why buy the same gun? Same ammo, same mag..... Do you really need two of the same gun?
Absolutely. Same manual of arms, same magazine, same ammunition. You'd have a second or backup pistol that wouldn't require any transition or getting used to when you switched.

I also have a KP-89DC and a KP-95dc and like them a lot.
Old September 30, 2007, 02:28 AM   #19
Qwiks draw

To piggy back on excellent advice from MikeG here goes.

Having two guns is a great idea.

In a defense shooting aftermath the gun used in that shooting is going into evidence. That means the authorities will have it and you won't. This could be for a long time or it may never be returned. You are now without defenseless for the most part unless you have another pistol that can fit the bill.

Other run ins with other criminals associated the perp or perps and other crimes could follow that need defending against. Happens even in the "quietist " businesses or homes.

Having a second pistol that is familiar in every way makes things much more simple as has been pointed out already. Controls and manual of arms are the same for both alike pistols.

One does not have to change mindset on how the other gun's controls work or function. This could prove fatal in a gunfight where fractions of seconds or seconds count.

Under extreme duress,stress, adrenalin dump, fine motor skills leave, fight or flight response moment, one needs to automatically respond to shoot accurately without having to thinking about it.
No change of midset needed and no awkward controls to manipulate. The brain has enough to worry about and respond to.

Combat,tactical, and police journals have all documented this thoroughly.

So there is a precedant for this to be considered closely.
Old September 30, 2007, 07:15 AM   #20
blume357

for the original question... YES

If you like Rugers I would get a P95... I would also suggest the KP95dc... this is the stainless decocker...