The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 25, 2007, 10:41 AM   #1
armoredman

Exploding flashlight

My loving wife was so happy when she won an Internet raffle back in July of 2006, and got her Surefire Nitrolon flashlight. LApolicegear.com shipped it with 2 free extra batteries, and we figured this was great...and it was, up until yesterday.
As I was pulling into work, my wife called, saying that she had heard a loud bang, and her Bianchi holster fanny pack caught fire on the bed. She put the smolder out, and discovered that her Surefire flashlight had exploded. The rear battery had detonated like a grenade, gutting the flashlight like a hog through the front.

Naturally, this scared about ten years off her life. I advised her to take the flashlight and the spare batteries out into the garage, behind the fire door. The spares had been stored in her small safe - right next to her spare live ammunition.
I contacted Surefire just a few minutes ago, and they stated they would replace it, just like that, and requested I send them the pics I took. They will issue a UPS call tag, and give us a new one. I was impressed with thier stance on thier product. without reservation.
Then I found something ELSE out...
The batteries were NOT from Surefire. LApolicegear.com had replaced the original set, so that all four batteries sent were these Battery Station 123A, marked "made in PRC"! They offered to replace the flashlight, and assured me they no longer use the Chinese made batteries. When I asked them if they would replace her fanny pack,(not a real expensive item!), the customer service person said "We won't do that!" Hmm.
It's a testament to the toughness of the flashlight that it did not burst at all, the steel body held the explosion in quite handily.
Surefire stepped up to the plate without reservation, LApolicegear.com sort of did, with prodding, so I guess I can't argue too hard, but I have to wonder, what would thier answer have been if my house had burned down due to thier cheap chinese made batteries? "Caveat Emptor"? Could be.
So, not to bellyache about how the world owes me squat, (I actually owe the world, according to my creditors!), just check your CR123A flashlight batteries, and if they say "made in PRC", DITCH 'EM!
Mods, if this isn't firearm related enough, it WAS next to her CZ 2075 RAMI in her fanny pack! The RAMI was undamaged, and the spare mag was OK, but I had to clean off reside from both. the fanny pack is history, full of gunk and melted holes.
Old October 25, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Got a gut feeling that black stuff is not particularly "healthy". Might want to do a careful cleanup, especially if you have pets or kids.
Old October 25, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3
armoredman

Cleaned everything, removed all materials to the garage, cleaned bedspread, fanny pack is in the garage pending destruction. I have heard the stuff is really un-healthy...
Old October 25, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
spacemanspiff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the Nitrolon made of polymer? In any case, Surefire rules, and so do their batteries!
Old October 25, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
armoredman

It was shipped as a Nitrolon, but has a steel barrel, er, I mean body.
Old October 25, 2007, 11:54 AM   #6
yongxingfreesty

wow, that is very scary.
Old October 25, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Wow, hopefully BB will be along to explain how to avoid such a thing.
Old October 25, 2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Manedwolf

This is why I tell people to only put batteries made in Japan in their cellphones.

China's endemic sloppiness when it comes to QA of high-energy cells is getting completely out of control in terms of product safety.

Also, I'd not store 6V lithium cells with anything flammable like live ammo.
Old October 25, 2007, 07:26 PM   #9
JWT

I had a very good U. S. manufactured lashlight explode, actually shot the back off like a rocket when unscrewing it to replace dead batteries. The batteries were also a major U. S. brand that were very dead and very corroded. The flashlight was ruined.

I attribute the problem to batteries that were allowed to remain in the flashlight after they were dead and became corroded, ate through the case, and built up sufficient pressure from chemical reactions to cause the 'explosion'.
Old October 25, 2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Glad nobody was hurt. Don't think the manufacturer in China would say or implicate the same...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 25, 2007, 09:26 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember a recall from Dell on their Chinese made batteries. I happily returned the old battery for a new one. Glad wifey is OK after that disconcerting incident.
Old October 25, 2007, 10:00 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

I have purchased Battery Station CR123 batteries in the past and had them work fine. HOWEVER, I tried some Powerizer brand and had several that either only lasted a few minutes before dying or superheated. Usually, before batteries explode, they superheat.

I always test a light after changing batteries...just to make sure everything works correctly. After putting in new Powerizer batteries into one of my more inexpensive utility flashlights, I did the test and left the light on the bench. About 15 minutes later, I needed to use the light and when I picked it up off the bench, the barrel/tube was hot. I emptied the batteries and they were too hot to hold in my hand as I discovered as I tried to get them into a metal pale.

So, I have given up on the discount CR123 lithium batteries. Armoredman's experience really drives this home. Now it is just Duracells for me.
Old October 26, 2007, 09:40 AM   #13
armoredman

Same, only top quality batteries from now on.
Old October 26, 2007, 12:35 PM   #14
black bear 84

We had a few cases like that in CPF, after much head scratching it was suggested that two different levels of charging in the batteries, can explode one of them, (the one that is been recharged by the good battery).

If the batteries were a pair of unused ones, the low battery will overheat as it was recharged by the battery that was full, it will explode in some cases.
That could be very well the fault of the factory, sending one battery under charged.

Make sure that the batteries in your lights are fresh when you put them on.
Don't use batteries with low juice in pairs, deplete 123's batteries in one cell flashlights (I use my Inova red light to deplete batteries that can't power incandescent)

Is a good idea to buy quality batteries BUT it can also happen with the best batteries, since this things starting to happen, I have removed 123's batteries from the lights in my collection, and only put them in when I am actually using them.

We use good quality batteries in watches, however I have some old batteries explode on my bench (I am a watchmaker), the little batteries sound like a .22 going off, quite scary.

Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old October 26, 2007, 03:41 PM   #15
gvf

Quote:
Surefire stepped up to the plate without reservation, LApolicegear.com sort of did, with prodding, so I guess I can't argue too hard,
CAN'T ARGUE TOO HARD! You can do more than argue. They put your entire property to say nothing of your wife's safety in jeapordy by selling you a battery that exploded and was on fire.

Keep all the residue and get a lawyer to send a "note", then report it to State Attn General's Office and those. Fed Agencies that oversee Internet Advertising and every Gov. Office remotely involved with product safety and reliability. You will get what you want from LA Poicegear BUT QUICK. Write a note to LA GEAR yourself saying your wife's skin eruptions and eye problems will hopefully clear soon. And that you have no doubt the nearby ammo will function safely the next time you go the range. Wish them the best.
Old October 26, 2007, 03:44 PM   #16
westphoenix

I have read about CR123 batteries doing this, all brands in different flashlights.
I think I'm getting away from them. Seems the exploding 123 battery reports just don't stop.
Old October 26, 2007, 04:54 PM   #17
DonR101395

Quote:
I have read about CR123 batteries doing this, all brands in different flashlights.
I think I'm getting away from them. Seems the exploding 123 battery reports just don't stop.
It's a hazard of lithium batteries. That is why the DOT puts them in a higher hazard class for shipping them. I've been using lithium batteries in radios, NVGs and flashlights for 16-17 years and only had one problem, the NVG battery pack on my helmet caught on fire. We no longer use lithiums on our helmets. Overall though, if you buy quality batteries and replace them in complete sets you will have very few problems. Never mix and match battery brands, if your items takes 2 batteries, never replace just one even if it volt checks ok.
Old October 31, 2007, 10:04 AM   #18
armoredman

Last night UPS delivered a package from LAPG, a new Surefire Nitrolon flashlight, in original packaging, with Surefire batteries inside, and 6 Rayovac brand CR123A batteries included. Also included a 10% off coupon for internet orders. At this point, I am satisfied with LAPG response, and replacement, even if thier customer service verbal/e-mail responses were less than staisfactory. Would have been nice to getthe fanny pack replaced, but I guess it will be the $50 lesson to never buy Chinese made products if possible. I wonder how much stuff in my house was made in China? I shudder to think...
Old October 31, 2007, 10:57 AM   #19
Manedwolf

Quote:
I remember a recall from Dell on their Chinese made batteries.
See the video that prompted it, a bunch of Japanese businessmen in a hotel conference room sort of seminar thing backing quickly away from a Dell that burst into white-hot fire?
Old October 31, 2007, 01:49 PM   #20
velocette

In a related vein, I am an underwater photographer, as such I use underwater flashlights commonly. I have had several of them explode both underwater & back on the boat. Any light with even a small water leak can and will explode with very interesting noises. something to be aware of with any flashlight, especially those that are 'O' ring sealed and are classed as water resistant.

Roger
Old October 31, 2007, 02:26 PM   #21
GATMOG

ammo cook-offs arent particularly harmful (unless a chambered round cooks off), but man, exploding batteries and fire? i'm glad nobody was injured and nothing else caught on fire! i'd be very very mad if the whole house burned down on account of some chinese batteries
Old October 31, 2007, 09:23 PM   #22
armoredman

I am happy to report The Battery Station and LAPG have stood up, and offerred to make good on all losses. I publicly thank them for this effort. Thank you, gentlemen.
Old November 1, 2007, 09:18 AM   #23
Manedwolf

Aforementioned Japan incident. LiIons can be scary.

Old November 1, 2007, 04:24 PM   #24
Doggieman

you should post that flashlight photo on candlepowerforums.com .. They'd love to see it.
Old November 1, 2007, 04:40 PM   #25
Doggieman

... once their servers come back online that is