The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Thirties

2 piece guide rod takedown/put back

I just bought my first 1911, a used (1979) Colt MKIV series 70. It has been modified somewhat, but for this topic, I'll stick with the barrel area. It has a stock barrel with the standard collet bushing of its day. It also has a strong stainless 2 piece guide rod (aftermarket?).

I am not interested in swapping the guide rod with the original plug system. I like the way the gun shoots, and I'm very happy with the tame recoil.

I want to learn the right way to dismantle and reassemble the barrel, bushing, guide rod.

Taking it apart is not a problem. Getting things back is where I need help. I've not yet found a web site that explains step-by-step the reassembly of (specifically) a 2 piece guide rod system.

My problem is how to manhandle the rather long and stout recoil spring into its proper place in the slide below the barrel, and then screwing in the front guide rod piece. The way I'm doing it it seems as if I'm almost damaging the spring by bending it (it's a real bucking bronco). And the rear end recoil spring guide, that holds the spring against the barrel link, keeps squirting around in there as well. Once I've screwed in the front guide piece, all has settled down. But then I never know if I'm getting the barrel bushing askew. I worry I've got the bushing jammed in at the wrong angle or depth.

I know there is an experience factor. But without a local "series 70 buddy" here, I really need to read how to do it. All the breakdown stuff is about the Colt standard plug system, or the one-piece rod.

Can someone give me the trick to reassembly of my 2 piece rod system?

I love the way this gun shoots. That's why I don't want to change anything.

Thank you all . . .
Old November 19, 2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Magyar

Quote:
Once I've screwed in the front guide piece, all has settled down. But then I never know if I'm getting the barrel bushing askew. I worry I've got the bushing jammed in at the wrong angle or depth.
There isn't anywhere for the spring to go....If you can get the slide-stop installed correctly, you have it okay...
Old November 19, 2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Thirties

So, I should not worry about the collet bushing fit -- it naturally ends up in the correct position?
Old November 22, 2007, 04:49 PM   #4
kris&bela

I always have that problem when my springs are new.What I usually do is before I drop the g.rod into it, is that I shove a brass rod and start playing with it until I can actually see that the recoil spring is almost straight for the g.rod to bite on the threads and it works.Eventually after so many takedowns and shooting sessions the spring pretty much weakens and putting the guide rod on is a breeze.
Old November 29, 2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Thirties

Well, believe it or not, I now have a new problem, where there wasn't one before...

First, I'd like to say that it didn't take me long to get very good at take-down/put-back of the 2 piece full length rod

But, because I can't leave well enough alone, and because so many folks on the internet trash the two piece full length guide rod, I ordered a "G.I." standard two piece guide rod setup with a new recoil spring.

I spent over an hour trying to install, then field strip my poor ol' S70 Colt with the supposedly easier standard recoil spring/guide rod set up. I got it to work, but wasted so much time searching for the "cannon balled" plug all over the garage. I cannot to this well. I tried, really. The 2-pc FLGR that came on my gun took me two times to nail down the procedure. I trust it.

I'm going back to my two piece full length guide rod, fer gosh sake. It wasn't broke. I didn't need to fix it. So what if I need an Allen key to open it. The original requires a barrel wrench, and very tough skin on your thumbs.

I've read all the books; I am not retarded; I find the 2-pc FLGR easier to strip/assemble, what can I tell ya??? I can do it half asleap, really I can.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but it will require some assistance and coaching. Maybe it's not worth it to anyone.

Last edited by Thirties; December 2, 2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Thirties

When I finally get good at the "G.I." method, and the 2-piece FLGR method, I promise to write up a very detailed and clear set of instructions for those who might find themselves in the same position. But I really want to get good at the procedures before I do that. I want to be able to explain all the little aspects, such as the positioning of the barrel link, for example -- how do you keep it oriented properly when replacing the slide?

I'm willing to have this become a group effort, if any of you want to contribute (he asked, hopefully).

Hoping my familiarity will happen sooner than later . . .

Last edited by Thirties; December 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: for better clarity
Old December 3, 2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Thirties

Finally, a poster at ColtForum directed me to a YouTube video which is well made, and easy to follow.

I was trying to reassemble the slide the wrong way. Now I know. I can now easily reassemble the slide. and I'm using the conventional plug/spring/guide rod setup with no problems. I really needed to see it done right.

Here is the link to the thread where you can find the video:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/show...ge=0#Post66147

Even if you have a dialup, this is an 8 minute video. Start your viewing and go shovel snow, take a shower, or something to eat up the time. You will not regret it.
Old December 3, 2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Sturmgewehre

This might not be much help, but I made a video on how to disassemble the Springfield TRP which uses a 2 piece guide rod.

TRP field stripping
Old December 3, 2007, 09:47 PM   #9
RickB

I have a two-piece rod, and always treated it just like a standard short rod during assembly, then screwed the rod together as the last step (with the slide locked back). Not harder or easier than the standard rod, just an extra step.
Were you trying to cram the spring in from the rear of the slide, with the top end off the frame? Yeah, that would be a bit of a hassle.
Old December 4, 2007, 09:40 AM   #10
Thirties

Yes, Rick, that is what I was doing -- ouch. We all have to learn somehow. I learned off those videos.