The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 30, 2007, 12:23 AM   #1
Playboypenguin

REVIEW: Two weeks with the new shoulder holster

I have been carrying with my new shoulder holster for two weeks now so I thought I would post my impressions.

I will start by saying...why, oh why, did I not try this sooner???

I have spent many hundreds of dollars on holsters in the past couple years and now they will sit in a bin in the garage the vast majority of the time.

The shoulder system not only conceals the weapon very well (under a sweater or hoody it just disappears) and wears very comfortably (I often forget to take it off at home) but it also has many advantages over belt holsters. For one I am never in fear of revealing my weapon when bending over or reach over my head. Also it does not interfer with seatbelts in my vehicle or chairs when sitting in a restaurant.

It took awhile to get it adjusted right and then a couple days to get used it but now it is by far my favorite way to carry.

Another advantage it is gives a compartment to keep a spare mag.

I currently have the one for my Kahr MK40 and I like it so much I am going to go buy another for my j-frames and a holster attachment for my SlimHawg tomorrow.

Old November 30, 2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

The trick to getting a well fitting, comfortable shoulder holster is to loosen the straps over the shoulders, and tighten the straps that go under the arms.

The idea is, when the holster settles into position, the connection of the figure-eight straps should be located about between the shoulder blades, NOT in the middle of your neck.
Most people mis-adjust the straps and the connector rides up on the neck.
This is both uncomfortable, and the straps are exposed above the collar of the outer garment.

Adjust the straps to where they feel good, then wear the holster around the house for a few hours to allow the holster to shift and settle into it's nature position.
DON'T move or shift the holster, or the harness.
Once it's settled, you can make small adjustments, then wear some more.

Eventually you'll get it right and after a long day, the holster and harness will still be in the proper position.
Old November 30, 2007, 03:51 AM   #3
CraigC

I've borrowed Dad's El Paso Spyder rig (G26) several times and it's great for under a jacket or even a vest, especially while riding. I just haven't got around to ordering one for myself. Seeing how nicely it conceals under a pullover, I think I need to go ahead and get out the credit card!
Old November 30, 2007, 05:15 AM   #4
BillCA

PBP - is that a Galco "Miami Classic" rig? It appears so.

I've used one for a 10-hour drive from Las Vegas to Reno holding a steel 1911 Commander without being uncomfortable.

One point - stand up straight.

No, I'm not trying to be your mother, but one thing I see people do when they first carry is lean to offset the weight of the gun, just as your photos show you doing. When we did security at political fund raisers we could ID local street cops who did the same thing because they weren't comfortable carrying in suits. The "tilted shoulders" or a tendency to always lean in one direction gave 'em away.

Your J-Frame will also fit in Ken Null's "City Slicker" (SKR) holster which holds the gun in a muzzle-up vertical position that's accessible with either hand. Perfect for under pullovers.
Old November 30, 2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Playboypenguin

Quote:
One point - stand up straight.

No, I'm not trying to be your mother, but one thing I see people do when they first carry is lean to offset the weight of the gun, just as your photos show you doin
Actually, if you look at any picture of me you will notice me leaning slightly (see following example). I have an inner ear defect which effects my sense of balance and causes me to lean my head slightly. Plus, I have a really bad left knee so I tend to stand with all my weight on my right leg.

You will even notice in the next post that I drew myself with a tilted head in my CAS logo.

Thanks for making fun of my disability.

Old November 30, 2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Playboypenguin

Old November 30, 2007, 07:06 AM   #7
BillCA

PBP,

Well, you see? I'd have never known of your disability situation had you not mentioned it.

I know about bad knees. Flipping a 750 pound touring bike at 70mph is a quick way to discover the fragility of knees and shoulders. Just keep in mind that your body may imply certain things to alert observers (with stars on their shirts).
Old November 30, 2007, 04:57 PM   #8
seeker_two

That phaser is NOT concealed.....better order another shoulder rig.....
Old November 30, 2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Tom2

I have this creeping feeling that I am starting to know more things about some forum members than I actually wanted to know
Old November 30, 2007, 11:51 PM   #10
Black Adder LXX

PBP - so in addition to having one of the best gun collections I've ever seen you're in STARFLEET too?!? Man I'm so jealous....

BTW- I love the 'Life of Brian' video on top. "The next person who says Jehovah..."
Old December 1, 2007, 12:06 AM   #11
Richard

Playboypenguin, Lou Alessi has always told me to wear a shoulder holster as high into your armpit as possible. I do not care for a shoulder holster, if you do, I hope you get a lot of use out of yours. Regards, Richard