The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 2, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1
ManWithaPlan

Taurus PT58 review

The Taurus PT58 is a compact version of the PT92. It is a delayed blowback, chambered in .380acp. It is much larger than the Beretta 80 series. It has come through the following models:

PT58S - 12 round magazines, no decocker
PT58SD - 12 round magazines, with decocker
PT58HC - high capacity 15 round magazines, with a decocker. The grip is longer than the previous models, almost the same lenght as a PT92.
PT58HC Plus - Current model. It is the same PT58HC, but it comes with two extended 19 round magazines. The PT58HC Plus also takes the 15 round mags.

Many years ago, I used to have a PT58S. I do not remember a lot about the pistol, I didn´t shoot it very often, but I remember it was reliable.

A few weeks ago I bought a PT58HC Plus, LNIB, and carried it.

I have fired about 500 rounds with it, mostly reloads, I have a friend that reloads .380acp. We tried 2 recipes. We also used a plinking recipe tabulated with very low pressures, and the PT58 ate them all with no failures of any kind. 100% reliability. Accuracy was not that impressive: At 17 yards, I averaged 6" groups. I usually fare better than that. I´ll try it with different ammo, factory ammo, and results may improve.

The pistol has a tendency to eject spent cartridges everywhere. Sights on mine are simple 3 dot sights. Rear sight is metal dove tailed, front sight is an integral part of the slide. The sights work, and I did not make any adjustments. Recoil is soft. With lighter loads, there is barely any. IMO this pistol would be a good fit for recoil-sensitive shooters. Very easy to pull the slide. The pistol has an aluminum frame and, loaded with 16 rounds, it feels light on the hip.

I carried it IWB for two weeks, and I was surprised to find rust spots at the disassembly lever and the left side grip screws. I removed the spots and treated the pistol parts with an anti-corrosion product. That solved the problem with the disassembly lever, but not on the exposed surface of the grip screws. Internally, the surface is wavy on the frame, under the end of the bore. I can feel it with my finger.

The pistol runs smoothly, though. Trigger has a little bit of slack in DA, but no slack at all on SA.

The PT58S I used to have years ago had 12+1 capacity, and did not have a decocker. This one has a decocker, and 15+1 capacity. The spring guide rod in the new one is stainless steel. The grip in the new one is larger, same size as a PT92 grip. I think the smaller, shorter grip of the 58S was more appropriate to the pistol. I tested the PT58HC grip panels on a PT100, and they fit. They should fit the PT92.

I do not like the 19 round magazines. The gun is muzzle light as it is, and the protuberant +4 extension further compromises the size and balance of the pistol. I carried it with 15 round magazines.

PT58HC Plus with 15+1 magazines

PT58HC Plus with 19+1 magazines

PT58HC Plus

PT58HC Plus, Frame

Pros:
Reliable ++
Low recoil +
Pistol works very smoothly+

Cons:
Big for the caliber -
Non-steel frame -
Finish does not offer much resistance to rust -

PS: I am having difficulties in removing the magazine catch, the thumb safety levers, and the main spring. The only holding pin I was able to get out was the extractor pin. Any advice is appreciated.
Old December 3, 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Officer's Match

Nicely done.
Old January 18, 2008, 12:14 AM   #3
theoriginalrecon

Maybe we can do some wheelin and dealin on your 19 round magazine(s) as I'm sure I will much prefer those to the 15rd variety.

I have two questions, number one what is the action on this? I've read that its DAO, but when I called Taurus USA the customer service woman said it was DAO or single action, both versions were available. To date I haven't seen a SA one, only 'DAO' or unspecified. Haven't found any in-store.

Question 2, do you know what kind of grips would fit on this gun? I'd love to get some pearl grips, but I'm not sure if the PT92/92FS grips would fit right on or not. It doesn't look like Cheetah grips would fit because the HC and HC+(the one I'd be getting) is longer than the std Cheetah, plus as you said the 58 is larger than the Cheetahs to begin with.
Old January 25, 2008, 05:20 PM   #4
ManWithaPlan

It is DA/SA. The safety is operated like a 1911 safety, except there is a stiff decocker if you press the safety down. The pistol can be carried cocked and locked.

I have not tested the PT58 grips on a PT92. I did test them on the PT100. The grips are the same on both pistols. I presume PT92 grips would fit.
Old January 25, 2008, 09:53 PM   #5
hksigwalther

Quote:
The Taurus PT58 is a compact version of the PT92. It is a delayed blowback, chambered in .380acp.
Uh, just a couple corrections. The PT58 is not a compact version of the PT92/99. As you note, it is .380ACP whereas the PT92/99 is 9mm (a significant difference). The compact versions of the PT92 was the old PT92C (ended production in 1996) or the more current PT911. Although they appear very similar externally, they are not entirely so internally. The PT92/99 is tilting block delayed recoil (barrel reciprocates for a short distance with the slide). The PT58 is simple blowback (no delay other than the weight of the slide and force of the recoil spring).
Old January 25, 2008, 10:49 PM   #6
PSP

What hksigwalther said, I concur. The PT58 is a clone of the Beretta 84, not the 92
Old July 5, 2008, 10:40 PM   #7
ManWithaPlan

This is an old thread, but I only saw the replies now.

When I said that the Taurus PT58 is a compact version of the PT92, I meant that the PT58 frame has exactly the same dimensions as the frame of a 9mm PT92. The Beretta Cheetah, OTOH, has a completely different, much smaller frame than a Beretta 92. If the Cheetah is large for a 380, then the PT58 is huge.
Old September 1, 2011, 08:41 AM   #8
BobB960

15 round magazine for Taurus PT58HC Plus

Anyone know which make/model 15 round magazine is compatible with the Taurus PT58HC Plus?
Old September 4, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
rxakt

15 round mags

I was in the same shoes you were.. where are these 15 rnd mags.. maybe borrow one off the pt938?? Then did more searching and found this! Keep the 19 rnds, but eliminate that retarded plastic extension:

http://www.huntersplus.com/tau-pt-58...-19rd-mag.html
Old September 4, 2011, 11:41 PM   #10
rxakt

Researching further.. that seems to be a wrong type of mag made for PT58 not HC. I think this is out best bet: http://www.rmtactical.com/taurus-380...5-p-23992.html

I have looked all over and it seems like these ohantom 15 rnd mags are available overseas:

http://www.pescaeciashop.com.br/prod...58-hc-15-tiros

http://www.aogaucho.com.br/loja62/pr...o_produto=1086

http://www.casadospescadores.com.br/...=19&cat_id=191
Old September 11, 2011, 11:56 PM   #11
BobB960

Thanx, but...

Thanx, I saw the PT938 magazines too, but Taurus customer service insists that magazine won't fit the hc plus, so I'm waiting to find one I can try in my gun before buying it...
Old September 12, 2011, 02:08 AM   #12
American Eagle

I would rather carry my Beretta 85FS with 8+1 capacity than a Taurus. I am not surprised that you are having rust issues, accuracy issues, and cartridge ejection issues with this gun.

My Beretta Cheetah costs more than a Taurus, but it is easier to conceal, it is extremely accurate, ejects the cartridge in the same direction every time, and despite living in a hot and humid climate I have never developed any rust issues.

I may not like some pistols such as Glocks and most Rugers, but their performance and reliability commands respect from me. However, I can't say the same about Taurus. I'm sorry but that's the way I feel.
Old September 17, 2011, 12:34 AM   #13
rxakt

pt-58

so far.. here is my issue list:

1. the gun does not like hollow points, fails to feed due to the very steep feeding ramp. (not too big of an issue there as I do not approve of hollow points myself - personally i think its all bs .. 30 plus bucks for 20 rounds, give me a break)
2. the gun spits powder back in my face. this seems to be due to the large gap between the slide and the little black doohickey thing thats mounted to the frame of the pistol. If you look at the back of the gun, you can see all the way through that gap in the rear of the pistol to the front. I looked at my pt-92 and Cougar and that black piece is much thicker and fills that gap. PT-58 does not. Im still considering sending the gun to taurus to get this solved.

3. I have an issue with people that go to forums and rip on certain guns and make others seems so special... based on absolutely nothing. Dont mention customer service as an excuse because all manufacturers suck in that aspect. Do us all a favor and back your comments up by something a little more helpful.

PS - brand name is nothing.. My Stoeger Cheetah is $200 cheaper than your Beretta with the same build quality. And my Taurus pt-92 is better and cheaper than my M92 FS which I sold. PT-92 allowed me to carry the pistol in condition 1, has a lifetime warranty, and shoots more accurately than the Beretta.
Old September 17, 2011, 01:42 AM   #14
American Eagle

BERETTA OWNS STOEGER so of course your Stoeger will have the same quality as the Beretta. Stoeger is Beretta's low end line of pistols, made to the same specifications, but in Turkey where the cost of labor is cheaper.

So next time you attempt to put Beretta down, why don't you do some research first?

And you are right, some low end gun manufacturers make excellent guns, like CZ for example. However, Taurus is not one of them, Their quality is spotty at best. Have fun with Taurus customer service. You will have to send that "thing" to them 4-5 times before they get it right.

Last edited by American Eagle; September 17, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old September 17, 2011, 02:03 AM   #15
Carry_24/7

AmericanEagle; I must say, you are correct, and he did insert his foot in his own mouth. Well said....

And, he mentioned the gun spitting gunpowder back into his face. I have only had this happen to me once. It was on the range while shooting someone else's gun; a Taurus 1911. The gun was very accurate, but I was getting showered with powder every shot, and the owner didn't seem to notice. It was a weird situation, I said nothing, just gave him back his gun and talked accuracy.

Last edited by Carry_24/7; September 17, 2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old September 17, 2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Beretta_Cheetah

To be completely fair, I've owned a few Taurus handguns (still own a PT92c). I am also known as a Beretta Geek by friends (currently own 13). I have dealt with Taurus customer service a few times & had no issues. I've heard horror stories, but this has been my experience.

Beretta DOES own Stoeger and the Stoeger is an excellent product. IMO every bit as good as the original. Btw, Stoeger does not make a Cheetah.

Bottom line: Taurus makes a good product, but not at the level of the Beretta or Stoeger. I think the best Beretta clone at this time is the ATI92 and 92c. I haven't seen the 92 recently, but think CDNN still sells the ATI92c at $299. It's an excellent value for the money and is much more accurate than the Taurus.

As for Cheetahs, I have recently bought the ATI MS380, also sold by CDNN for $289 and $299 and have found it to also be good value. These are clones of the Beretta 84bb.

Btw, the ATIs are like the Stoeger also made in Turkey.

All that was maybe 3 cents worth...
Old September 17, 2011, 10:14 AM   #17
FrankOgham

nice review
Old September 17, 2011, 12:47 PM   #18
rxakt

correction

Correction... Stoeger Cougar not Cheetah. (Beretta got a little happy with animal names)

Going back on subject... I have not yet discovered a 15 round mag for the 58. I am looking to find a pt-938 locally so I can see if the mag fits in the 58. I have tried other Taurus 380 mags in the PT and they fit, the only problem was the length, as they were to short for the pistol to feed the cartridge. I would expect the 15 round to fit nicely.
I have also read that there were 3 58 models.
58S
58HC
and 58HC Plus

The 58HC is the same gun as the Plus, but was sold with 15 round mags.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:40 AM   #19
plague115

15 round mag

So, I decided to reply to this thread considering that it had a major factor in my purchasing a brand new pt58hc. This thread answered all the questions that I needed to know about the pt58, other than the 15 round mag.

I took my fiance to the range with me one day to get used to the feel of my sigma 40, the weapon that I keep in my nightstand in case of a break in. She didn't do to well with it, the kick was a bit much for her, she then shot my friends Sig 9mm, and she liked it better than mine but it was still a bit more than she cared for (shes a tiny thing lol). So I decided to get a 380. In looking for a 380, I saw the beretta cheetah and the Taurus pt58. I always like the feel of the m9 beretta that I used in the military, so I figured that it wouldn't be bad to look into these 2 pistols (i understand that they aren't sized down models of these technically, but the exterior design and dimensions are similar).

I didnt really care for the design of the cheetah, seemed a bit more dainty than the pt58 and a little bit more pricey to boot. After reading this review, I concluded that the only real cons of the pt58 were the size and frame. I am not looking for a "pocket pistol" so I'm not worried about concealed carry, as it would be in my nightstand and stay there, and I actually wanted a full size 380 that my fiance would be able to get a full grip on, so that wasn't a big deal to me. And the frame rust could be prevented by keeping it in good maintenance, keeping it clean and using some rust coat on it. There was only one factor that was keeping me from buying this pistol...the magazine.

A 19 round mag seems a bit much, I like the option but don't care for it being the only thing that is available for purchase. I agree that the 19 round mag might be a bit unbalanced, and I don't care for how much it protrudes from the handle. After reading this and many other reviews, it seemed impossible to purchase a 15 round mag for the pt58hc. I was wrong.

I called up Taurus to question them about the 19 round mag being the only one sold and they told me that they sell BOTH the 15 and 19 round magazines for the pt58hc. I ordered 2 of them for 40 a piece, plus 5 dollars shipping. I am still waiting for my pistol to arrive and the mags to confirm this, but it looks like all you have to do is call them and order them directly from taurus (they aren't listed on the website, just call customer service). Just thought I would clear this up and let others know where to find the 15 round mag since it seems to be a popular topic here and on other sites. I will confirm this for sure once I get my pistol and mags in about a week. Hope this post helps others as this thread helped me in my purchase
Old January 26, 2012, 11:41 AM   #20
plague115

15 round mag

So, I decided to reply to this thread considering that it had a major factor in my purchasing a brand new pt58hc. This thread answered all the questions that I needed to know about the pt58, other than the 15 round mag.

I took my fiance to the range with me one day to get used to the feel of my sigma 40, the weapon that I keep in my nightstand in case of a break in. She didn't do to well with it, the kick was a bit much for her, she then shot my friends Sig 9mm, and she liked it better than mine but it was still a bit more than she cared for (shes a tiny thing lol). So I decided to get a 380. In looking for a 380, I saw the beretta cheetah and the Taurus pt58. I always like the feel of the m9 beretta that I used in the military, so I figured that it wouldn't be bad to look into these 2 pistols (i understand that they aren't sized down models of these technically, but the exterior design and dimensions are similar).

I didnt really care for the design of the cheetah, seemed a bit more dainty than the pt58 and a little bit more pricey to boot. After reading this review, I concluded that the only real cons of the pt58 were the size and frame. I am not looking for a "pocket pistol" so I'm not worried about concealed carry, as it would be in my nightstand and stay there, and I actually wanted a full size 380 that my fiance would be able to get a full grip on, so that wasn't a big deal to me. And the frame rust could be prevented by keeping it in good maintenance, keeping it clean and using some rust coat on it. There was only one factor that was keeping me from buying this pistol...the magazine.

A 19 round mag seems a bit much, I like the option but don't care for it being the only thing that is available for purchase. I agree that the 19 round mag might be a bit unbalanced, and I don't care for how much it protrudes from the handle. After reading this and many other reviews, it seemed impossible to purchase a 15 round mag for the pt58hc. I was wrong.

I called up Taurus to question them about the 19 round mag being the only one sold and they told me that they sell BOTH the 15 and 19 round magazines for the pt58hc. I ordered 2 of them for 40 a piece, plus 5 dollars shipping. I am still waiting for my pistol to arrive and the mags to confirm this, but it looks like all you have to do is call them and order them directly from taurus (they aren't listed on the website, just call customer service). Just thought I would clear this up and let others know where to find the 15 round mag since it seems to be a popular topic here and on other sites. I will confirm this for sure once I get my pistol and mags in about a week. Hope this post helps others as this thread helped me in my purchase
Old March 19, 2012, 08:54 PM   #21
evelone

So time to knock down a bit of the Taurus hate here. Did you know Taurus use to build guns for Smith and Wesson as well as Beretta until back in I think 1980 when they actualy bought out the Beretta factory? So all the early Taurus guns are made off the Beretta tools and specs. which is why they are the only company that makes guns that look just like beretta. Ok for about ten years from mid 90's they did indeed have some QC problems there but the current QC is considerably better, as well as a lifetime warranty. How many companies have that?
Anyways a friend of mine has a Taurus pt58 that his father owned than passed on to him thats been around around 20 to 30 years and he has used as his HS gun and range gun for the past 10 years and I dont know how many rounds has passed tru that barrel and it still shoots spot on with zero problems. We just took our guns down to the range a couple of days ago and his pt58 was an absolute joy to shoot. By the way I also own a Taurus which is my first Taurus ever, It's a pt 845 and it was the first time I took it out to the range, just got it a week ago. because of all the Taurus bashing I almost didn't buy it but man It's now my favorite gun I've ever owned.
Old March 19, 2012, 09:47 PM   #22
Leejack

Quote:
Bottom line: Taurus makes a good product, but not at the level of the Beretta or Stoeger. I think the best Beretta clone at this time is the ATI92 and 92c. I haven't seen the 92 recently, but think CDNN still sells the ATI92c at $299. It's an excellent value for the money and is much more accurate than the Taurus.
I like to stay out of these threads, but time to raise the BS flag again.

How many of you guys in this forum have actually shot the Taurus 92 and Beretta 92 side by side for thousands upon thousands of rounds? Be honest.

I have for nearly a decade, so don't try to BS me. Now, I have never shot the ATI, but if it's much more accurate than the Taurus it must also be much more accurate than the Beretta as well.

So the question is, is the ATI much more accurate than the Beretta?

Answer up, is it? If so, wow!
Old May 3, 2012, 10:19 AM   #23
tony91864

PT58HC-PLUS

I just purchased one of these pistols and I love it.I took it to the range and it is very accurate and a joy to shoot.I have just one question,the slide does not stay in the open position when the last round is fired and I was wondering if anybody else was having trouble with this.Any info would be helpful and thanks in advance.My model is also stainless steel,I forgot to mention this...