The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 12, 2007, 12:04 AM   #1
justin10985

Taurus 1911

I am getting ready to purchase a Taurus 1911 for about 540.00. Is this a reasonable price? It is in about 85-90%. Also can anyone give me some feedback on this particular model? I do not intend to use it for CCW so don't waste your time telling me pros/cons of that. I just want to know about the model overall. Thanks for the feedback.

Best Regards, Justin Norris
Old December 12, 2007, 12:06 AM   #2
IdahoG36

The going price NIB ranges from $500-$550. I would buy a new one for the price they want for a used one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=87243209

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=87188427

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=87043107

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52327
Old December 12, 2007, 12:29 AM   #3
justin10985

Thanks for the info, will do. But does anyone know much about this model?
Old December 12, 2007, 02:27 AM   #4
shermdo

Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch recently published a review of the Taurus 1911 in American Handgunner. He and a couple friends put 5000+ rounds through the test handgun. As you might know Clint likes 1911's and usually carries a very expensive Les Baer. In short the review was extremely positive. I think that the Taurus print ad is pretty much correct when it lists the features and the cost the add these features to a base model handgun. The slide and frame are tp quality and they use all top shelf part from very well known US suppliers. For example - real Novak sights.

I do not own a Taurus 1911 YET but I believe that I will in the next year or so. If I ever saw a clean used one I would snatch it up immediately but I have never even seen a used one.

Good luck and post a review and pictures.
Old December 12, 2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Rangegod

I posted this report not long after the Taurus 1911 became available and I have had no reason to change my opinion.

Quote:
OK, I’ve been hesitant to write a review of the new Taurus 1911 for fear of sounding like a gushing school boy after his first, …er, oh, never mind.

Anyway, I have had a fairly long (better then 40 year) association with the 1911. During that time I’ve owned more than a few ranging from $200 to $2000+ guns. (Note, this is in current dollars as I remember when new Colts were under $100.) However, as much as I like the 1911, I have to admit that many of the current production guns leave a lot to be desired and understand why many of the younger generation fail to appreciate the old war horse. During the last 30 years I have had very few new 1911s run as they should out of the box. Yes, they normally worked after “break-in” and with some tweaking but even then 100% performance was usually dependent on specific magazines and ammo. This is in direct contrast to the dozens of Sigs, Glocks, Berettas, CZs, HKs etc. that have passed through my hands.

This brings me to the new Taurus PT-1911. I know there are many Taurus distracters, I myself have written about the problems I encountered with my only Taurus revolver, but this gun intrigued me as it is one of the few 1911s on the market to use 100% in house designed and produced parts. This gives Taurus several advantages over other competitors at this price point.

Most mid-line manufactures build guns by installing some combination of sub-contracted, globally manufactured, MIM, cast and machined parts into an imported or domestically produced 1911 frame/slide assembly. This leaves the gun maker little control as to overall dimensional and individual part QC. This lack of dimensional control leads to the tolerance stacking and reliability issues we see in many of the new 1911s. Examples of this include, slide stops too short to engage followers or too long hitting feeding rounds; extractor hooks too long/short; firing pin stops loose in slides and/or extractor allowing clocking; etc. The makers of these individual parts may do a great job but when part “A” is installed in frames made by X, Y or Z and has to interface with part “B” which was made by D, E or F you begin to see how important dimensional control is to limiting tolerance stacking and ensuring consistent reliability.

There are only two ways to overcome this problem, the first is to hand fit the parts as is done on the custom and to a lesser extent on the semi-custom guns but this method is very cost prohibitive, the second is to take total control of the manufacturing process. By designing and manufacturing all parts in-house, Taurus has ensured that its part “A” will fit its frame and interface with its part “B” consistently with little fitting or variation.

I recently picked up a PT-1911 for $500 OTD. My initial examination was very favorable; the slide/frame fit was very good (tighter than my Colts, equal to my TRP, just slightly looser than my STI and DW CBOB) giving that nice no rattle feeling of quality. The barrel/slide/bushing fit was excellent with no play and very smooth in its locking/unlocking operation. All controls operated crisply with the proper quality feeling snicks & clicks with no over-travel or looseness. The barrel and frame feed ramp was prefect with proper gap and finished mirror bright, actually better than several of my customs. The checkering on the front strap and (unbelievably steel not plastic) MSH is a nice touch on a gun in this price range. The trigger broke cleanly at 4 pounds by my gauge. (Note, for reference this same gauge says my Heinie Custom breaks at 5lb and my STI at 6 lbs so it might be a bit off on the high side.) The sights, although not my favorite, are fine for their intended purpose. They are blocky like the Glocks which I find limiting beyond 15 yards but then again at my age the eyes are more limiting then the sights. The finish, as others have reported, does seem a little thin but no worst then several Sigs I’ve owned and at this level of quality to price ratio I can justify a refinish if required.

On the range the gun performed flawlessly. Over 400 mixed rounds of ball and SWC reloads, factory ball, and an assortment of JHPs fed, fired and ejected without a single problem. A large assortment of magazines was used during the initial range session. These included the 8 round factory (ACT/Novak copy), Shooting Stars, Devel, CMC Power Mags, Wilson (7 & 8 rd), Colt, and Metalform (Note, the Metalforms came with my DW and were unreliable in it but they worked well in the Taurus.) All the magazines fit, functioned and initiated proper slide lock back when empted.

Accuracy was about what I expect from any production 1911, quarter size 7 yard groups and most 15 yard groups, with the exception of an occasional shooter induced flyer, could be covered with a silver dollar. POA/POI was well regulated and no sight problems (i.e. shooting loose) occurred.

One interesting side note, I have found most 1911s to be rather erratic ejectors but the Taurus seemed very consistent so I tried a little experiment. I placed a 5 gallon plastic bucket about 10 feet away at the 3:30 position and fired 100 rounds. Upon completion I found 89 of the 100 spent cases in the bucket most of the others hit the lip and bounced off. In reality this may not prove a thing but it is the most consistent 1911 ejection pattern I’ve ever seen.

Overall, I think Taurus has a real winner on their hands. This gun runs well and shows no pickiness in respect to ammo or magazines. Comparing feature to feature there is no present competition within $200 to $300 of it. Hopefully, this will be a gun that the 1911 novice can buy and expect the kind of “out of the box” reliability he has become accustom to from Sig, Glock, Beretta etc.

One can only hope.

JAC
Old December 12, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
fat old gun nut

taurus 1911

I have one and would not sell it. I love the add-ons the feel and the way it shoots 540 is very good I paid more but it doesn't matter 'cause I like it that much.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Taurus_9mm

I have a PT1911B and have nothing but praise for this pistol. They're well made, accurate and reliable. I've get to experience a FT feed, fire or eject.
The only qualms I've heard from some in regards to the blued PT1911s are the finish. That's a moot point now that the stainless PT1911s are out.

These 4 belong to DRAEGER over at www.taurusarmed.net

I'll probably add a stainless PT1911 at some point to complement my PT1911B.

Best Wishes
Old December 13, 2007, 12:16 AM   #8
GW45NUT

I had a very negative experience with mine that involved a poorly machined front site dovetail that affected accuracy. I traded mine in towards a
DW PM7 in 45 and never looked back. My experience does seem to be in the minority of PT1911's though.
Old December 13, 2007, 01:41 AM   #9
Qwiks draw

TaurusPT1911,eh?
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2155.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2388.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2969.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=3703.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=3697.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=3416.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=3340.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=3442.0

There's also www.taurusarmed.net that has a PT1911 board as well as a FAQ and sticky threads about the PT1911. Might prove useful to browse there.

Ask questions or do a search or read the old and new threads at the PT1911 board.

There's also Taurus Talk at MSN as a source of info ,too.
Wanting specific answers about specific guns. Then a trip to the specific gun forums may be in order.
Old December 13, 2007, 09:56 AM   #10
ZeSpectre

See this thread PT-1911 Feed Issues

My comments in post # 16

All I'll add is that my PT-1911 has been just fine since it got the TLC it wanted. Of course my opinion may not carry that much weight as mine is a range queen and I don't use or depend on it for anything else.
Old December 15, 2007, 10:33 PM   #11
allenomics

Don't pay more than $500, NIB.
Old December 15, 2007, 10:39 PM   #12
IdahoG36

Quote:
The slide and frame are tp quality and they use all top shelf part from very well known US suppliers. For example - real Novak sights.
This is not true. First, they use Hienie sights. Second, all the internals are MIM parts produced by Taurus. The slide, frame, and barrel are forged.
Old December 17, 2007, 10:27 PM   #13
jsflagstad

Other Calibers???

I had heard a while ago that the PT 1911 was going to be offered in other calibers such a 9mm, 38 super and 40 S&W. Anyone know or heard of the progress on this?

Last edited by jsflagstad; December 17, 2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old December 18, 2007, 12:28 AM   #14
Taurus_9mm

PT1911s chambered for 9mm and .40 S&W are scheduled to be released at some future point but wasn't aware of the 38 Super chambering. I really wish they'd release a 10mm model.
Old December 18, 2007, 12:51 AM   #15
IdahoG36

A 10mm Taurus 1911 would be sweeeeet!
Old December 18, 2007, 12:55 AM   #16
johnle

Quote:
The slide and frame are tp quality and they use all top shelf part from very well known US suppliers. For example - real Novak sights.
I dunno if you would call it "real".

Taurus is licensed to produce those parts inhouse in their factories in Brazil.
Old December 18, 2007, 06:39 AM   #17
gopack

I'm not enough of an expert to make much out of the differences in manufacturing methods. My experience with 1911's is limited to shooting a few brands and a couple of decades of shooting whichever pistol was assigned me by the arms rooms of various Army Reserve units (some were excellent and one was sorely in need of attention.) My only 1911 is a Taurus I bought about six months ago. It has chambered, fired and ejected every type of ammunition I've put into it except for my first attempt at reloads. It fired them after I fixed the rounds. I've had accuracy problems with one box of Independence ammo. The rest went where I've actually been pointing the pistol.

My opinion of the Taurus is based on fairly simple criteria: (1) reliably fire loaded ammunition; (2) few or no mechanical problems; and (3) fire the ammunition accurately. Mine fires reliably, allows me to stay mostly inside the 9-ring at 15 yards and has given me no mechanical problems or any indication of them. It has done what I wanted and has done it very well. I like the pistol.