The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1
pjn003

How much will a silenced 10/22 cost me?

Hey guys, i'm basically wondering how much in total will it cost for me to buy a 10/22 with a gemtech silencer. Also, i am wondering how long this process will take, of getting the can, and also if it will be able to fit on other .22's like a p22 pistol if i get it threaded or whatever.

Thanks,
Phil
Old December 20, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
GATMOG

Idk about the gemtech can, however, the atf tax stamp is $200.. The can itself is not registered to the firearm, so it can be used on any .22cal with the standard threads (the dimensions of the thread slips my mind).

But yeah, bottom line, it can go on and off of your 10/22 and your p22 without any legal troubles--and it will fit and work with other .22's with the propper threading..It would *fit* on an ar-15 since the threads are the same but please DO NOT try the can will blow up..not pretty

Hope this helps!
Old December 20, 2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Bigfatts

Well you have to jump through all the legal hoops (Are you incorporated or do you have a trust set up?) and then you send off the forms to the overlords and they take a while to get to them and then a while longer to decide. From what I've seen it can be anywhere from a month to several.
Old December 20, 2007, 07:48 PM   #4
shaggy

This should be in the NFA section, but see my post here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=272992

Same process and cost of the transfer tax, except that you'll need to buy the can from a NFA dealer in your state (since you are not the manufacturer) and complete a form 4 instead of the form 1 (since its a transfer rather than the registration on a new NFA item).

The time you do the form 4 to the time your dealer gets the approved transfer is about 4-6 weeks. Price? That depends on what your dealer charges. Look at the suggested retail prices on Gemtech's website and thats about what you can expect to pay. If you get a screw on can like the Outback, you can use it on both the 10-22 and the P22 assuming you have the same threading on both (1/2x32 IIRC).
Old December 20, 2007, 11:29 PM   #5
MGRacer

Cost for a 10/22 with a Gemtech Outback-II

10/22 $150
Thread Barrel $75
Outback-II $300-$325
Transfer Tax to ATF $200
Scope?Bipod? etc

BTW -- the standard threads on the Outback II and most other .22LR silencers is 1/2x28 so the Outback II suppressor can be used on any .22LR gun with the proper size threads.

Also, you will need to use subsonic ammo for max quiet and the way to get 100 percent reliability with subsonic ammo is to polish and chamfer the bolt. The top two bolts are chamfered and the bottom is stock. (Note the lower corner on the left side of the photo).