The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 20, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1
ISC

Do you get strange looks at your range when you exercise while shooting?

Every time I go to the range, I try to do at least a couple iterations where I'll engage target from different positions after doing some calesthenics to simulate stress and fatigue. Nothing crazy, just 40 or 50 pushups or a set of knee benders and lunges before shooting from the standing and kneeling positions.

I'll also work on doing transitions from standing to kneeling and reloading and malf drills.

Pretty basic stuff for anyone that is more than a casual shooter I think, but I still get dirty looks alot of times and find myself trying to defuse them by explaining that I'm in the military or trying to wait until the range is somewhat clear.

When I do this I usually get a couple comments that range from "that's a good idea" to disapproving glares from the hunter snob who is waiting 10 minutes between shots for the barrel to cool completely.

The local dick that runs the range here in town has commented about it before, and the G&FC dick that was supervising the public range in Lake City actually told me to stop doing double taps or any other "rapid firing"

What other drills/exercises/techniques do you use to train, and how do you deal with suspicious looks and comments from the less serious shooters?
Old December 20, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2
pjn003

not going to lie, if i saw that at my range i would probably start laughing

doesn't mean that its not a good idea, by any means, just that it is certainly not within the normal social behavior of a gun range and there is nothing you can do to make people stop looking at you funny.
Old December 21, 2007, 12:09 AM   #3
smithrob75

I get strange looks when I shoot full auto at the range. Most people believe full auto's are illegal so they don't know what to think. I just smile and blast off another 30 rounds. I kinda think it's funny when people stare. You should have seen them when I dumped a beta-c..
Old December 21, 2007, 12:23 AM   #4
ISC

It makes a big difference when you have to actually run before or between shoots instead of sitting in a tree stand and waiting for dinner to walk up to the carrots you planted. I know it helped me in the last competition I did, and I hope it is useful when I get deployed next year.
Old December 21, 2007, 12:37 AM   #5
timothy75

I can see that being a problem, heres my advice. Get an airsoft gun and move some furniture around, then get as crazy as you want to in the privacy of your own home. I'd also search high and low for a piece of public or private land you could at alone. Even if you had to drive two hours once a month to get to it it would be worthwile if you really want to experiment with different tactics. Good luck
Old December 21, 2007, 01:02 AM   #6
ISC

I guess my take is that I don't have a problem, they're the ones with the problem. When I do it I get off the firing line. I run in public and work out at the park so I am not that self conscious about it. I think that if you've never actually tried to do any type of stressed shooting you will be at a severe disadvantage if/when you need to. just range walking a couple hundred meters with a Kpot and web gear can through some pogues off, I can only imagine what moving from cover to cover and then shooting would do to some of the slugs that post on the internet about their fantasies but never actually do practical exercises.

I was hoping to get an "amen brother" and some ideas about other exercises and stuff to work into my training program. I've thought about carrying a peice of pipe or a weighted axe handle when I run to simulate carrying my rifle, but that's not that big of a concern for me.
Old December 21, 2007, 01:19 AM   #7
animal

snicker.. snort ..snicker ..ahem .. sorry

tried chamomile tea before rifle shooting, tasted funky and didn’t notice any benefit.
12 oz. curls after shooting is good

It’s a free country … as long as the range officials have no problem with it.
Rapid fire : This is and should be up to the range. It’s their property after all and some people are downright dangerous. The range I go to is ok with pretty much any technique or eccentricity as long as you handle the gun safely. They observe and size up the individual. Another I went to limited full autos to certain days. Their property and they set the rules. I suggest that you ask officials in advance if you want to do anything out of the ordinary.

Ever think of getting involved in action pistol shooting? It is fun and might be up your alley. OR use it as an excuse ... "I need to do this stuff to get prepared for an action pistol match" ... It may keep the fat guys from snickering at you.
Old December 21, 2007, 02:21 AM   #8
The Tourist

I think it's a great idea.

Actor Michael Chillis (The Shield) used to have a show called "The Commish."

One episode demonstrated the poor performance of a real shoot-out with the near perfect range scores of the officers involved.

So, the next day, the Commish makes his officers run, climb stairs, sweat, etc. and then shoot. He's surprised how stress effects their scores.

So do it. Let people laugh. Dance around. Shoot weak hand.

Some day it might help you.
Old December 21, 2007, 02:23 AM   #9
Axion

I'd look at you funny.

Same way I look at people funny when they start C-walking in the gym.
Old December 21, 2007, 02:49 AM   #10
oldbillthundercheif

I get creative every once in a while, but usually while the range is empty except for myself and a friend or two. There have been exceptions, though.

One time I was doing transitions from offhand shooting to a kneeling position behind a 55gal drum ("cover") and a young lady cop came over from the other side of the range and pretty much insisted I teach her to shoot from positions. I did my best and we had a great time while the other cops gave us dirty looks and made fun of us. That was a very entertaining day at the range, who cares if people look at you strangely?
Old December 21, 2007, 03:04 AM   #11
2cooltoolz

Do you ever pop off a few rounds at the gym?? Knock out a couple of sit ups at the grocery?? Are you the guy at the range with the cut up T-shirt? Seems kinda needy to me...sorry.
Old December 21, 2007, 03:22 AM   #12
IdaReggaeMon

Quote:
It makes a big difference when you have to actually run before or between shoots instead of sitting in a tree stand and waiting for dinner to walk up to the carrots you planted. I know it helped me in the last competition I did, and I hope it is useful when I get deployed next year.
This is what is done in Biathalon: alternate periods of intense cross country skiing with target shooting. You have to be in REALLY good shape to not have your heart rate and breathing interfere with your shooting. Check into interval training. It sounds appropriate for your interests.

As long as you're being safe and not breaking any range rules, I say more power to you. Most people I see at the range couldn't run in from the parking lot if their lives depended on it.
Old December 21, 2007, 03:49 AM   #13
Casimer

You've got to recognize that for every guy who's competent to perform these sorts of drills, there are 20 more who'll claim they are but can't w/o posing a risk to other people. So yeah, I'd probably keep an eye on you. I can appreciate what you're trying to accomplish, but a range intended for the general public probably isn't the best place to do it.
Old December 21, 2007, 04:44 AM   #14
animal

Quote:
I guess my take is that I don't have a problem, they're the ones with the problem.
As far as snickers and dirty looks go, you are correct sir.

When it comes to range rules and officials, remember that you are a guest at the facility. If it’s not covered by the rules, asking politely first usually will get a favorable response. If they say "no" respect it. Make friends with the officials by being polite and demonstrating competence. You wouldn’t believe how far this will get you.

Seriously, your idea of simulating stress responses and learning to compensate is sound.
Personally, I prefer techniques to control my stress responses.
Old December 21, 2007, 05:08 AM   #15
Silvanus

Quote:
It’s a free country … as long as the range officials have no problem with it.
Rapid fire : This is and should be up to the range. It’s their property after all and some people are downright dangerous.
Indeed...There are SEVEN holes in the roof of the firing range I go to (in the handgun part). The ROs usually let me do what I want, because they know me and I can shoot. But I would not be surprised if they introduced a "1 shot-a-second" rule.

Regarding the funny looks, I would keep doing whatever you want to. If you think it could be helpful some day, why stop it now? The people who laugh are probably (like you said) snobbish hunters/target shooters (I mean no offence, but I've had bad experiences with that kind myself) or armchair commando ex-navy SEAL marine snipers who can't hit the target at 10 meters when they've had to climb a few stairs before shooting.

Quote:
I can appreciate what you're trying to accomplish, but a range intended for the general public probably isn't the best place to do it.
Why is that? In the OP he doesn't mention anything that's dangerous really. Doing some pushup before shooting. His hand is probably not as steady, but that's it. Changing between standing and kneeling, malfunction drills, ect. nothing dangerous IMO.
Old December 21, 2007, 07:37 AM   #16
Tanzer

While it would get a second look from me, I figure you can do what you wish as long as it's safe and not interfering with anyone. You aren't doing this at the firing line, are you?
I'm the type who'd probably ask you why you were doing it, and a reaonable answer would satisfy me. If you said: " 'Cuz it zones me, man! Those targets are dust, man"! or something weird like that, now I'd be wondering. My kids shoot 3 position, and complain of cramps and twitching, especially when kneeling, so I can understand your reasoning. The .22 pistol league guys do upper body stuff (though not at the range) for similar reasons.
Hey, I see guys who sit in chairs and clamp thier pistols to the bench (not just sighting in). I don't see much point in that, but to each his own, right?
Old December 21, 2007, 08:48 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have never done that at a range but in my younger days I had a 5 acre place and would put paper plates on a gob of trees and than would go back to the house, get my firearm and sprint the 100 yards to the woods edge and begin working my "course" from different angles and positions. I did get watched once and asked what that was all about... I just said I was practicing...
Brent
Old December 21, 2007, 08:49 AM   #18
DMK

Quote:
Do you ever pop off a few rounds at the gym?? Knock out a couple of sit ups at the grocery?? Are you the guy at the range with the cut up T-shirt? Seems kinda needy to me...sorry.
From everything I've read by professionals, it times of stress (like someone mugging or carjacking you) you won't have much time to think and will fall back on your training. If your training is unrealistic and consists of sitting on a bench with your elbows on the table, slow firing at targets 25 yards away, then you could have problems.

Of course, you could just adopt the mindset of 90% of the folks out there and assume that "it won't happen to me because we live in a civilized society". Chances are you'd be right, but sometimes stuff happens to folks anyway.
Old December 21, 2007, 09:15 AM   #19
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Quote:
It makes a big difference when you have to actually run before or between shoots instead of sitting in a tree stand and waiting for dinner to walk up to the carrots you planted.
:barf:

ISC - Did you really have to bash hunters? Not all hunters are lazy and "non-shooters". That statement was a little too broad in my opinion.

I enjoy shooting and scenario practice as much as I do hunting.

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old December 21, 2007, 11:14 AM   #20
ragwd

At the range that I haunt, there is about a half mile driveway, I have ran that a few times to get my heart rate up to about 150 then I shot at a target at same distance (25yds) that I normally use. The result was my pattern opened up by a whole lot, I was still on paper but all over it. I think its a great thing to try once to show yourself the effects of elevated heart rate but at a typical range I wouldn't do that often. Best probably at a range set up and designed for tactical practice rather than accuracy. Just not enough of those ranges around.
Old December 21, 2007, 11:44 AM   #21
PPGMD

I get dirty looks when I do a mag dump at the outdoor range that I shoot at.
Old December 21, 2007, 12:38 PM   #22
ATW525

Quote:
Indeed...There are SEVEN holes in the roof of the firing range I go to
There's only seven?
Old December 21, 2007, 12:57 PM   #23
Mr. James

Quote:
I was hoping to get an "amen brother" and some ideas about other exercises and stuff to work into my training program.
Oh, stop it, yer killin' me . . .

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old December 21, 2007, 01:15 PM   #24
Nytelyte

I think its a good idea. I do it relatively frequently. But my club is a private club, i'm usually about the only person there, or I know the others.

I think if you are no breaking any rules, interfering with anyone, and the RO is ok with it, then do your thing. You're a paying customer, using the facility inside of its rules to for your purposes. Who cares what others think. If we all did no one would be shooters.
Its good practice, if you've never tried it, you'd probably be surprised how much an elevated heart rate or a bit of adrenaline will do to your groups.

Go for it, man.
Old December 21, 2007, 01:27 PM   #25
CrazyIvan007

Quote:
What other drills/exercises/techniques do you use to train, and how do you deal with suspicious looks and comments from the less serious shooters?
Look them straight in the eye and say:

"Nothing to worry about. I do this before sex too."
Closed Thread