The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 10, 2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

"Common" belts for holster carry ???

looking for something thats not over $50.00 ish... & doesn't have a 6 month lead time, but will hold up for a year or so...

the 3 belts I've tried since I got my permit to carry...

Cabella's Rough Neck Jeans Belt ( 1.5" wide )...
Cabella's Garrison Belt ( 2" wide )...
Carhart work belt ( 1.5" wide )...

of those 3, the 2" Garrison belt was the best "holster" belt, but it is split leather 2 layers thick, & glued, & after a year of wear, the pieces have started seperating, the Rough Neck is of similar construction but only 1.5" wide... the Carhart belt is also similar but is sewn, as well as glued...

these belts have been OK for use with my air weights, but I've also begun to rotate my compact CZ-75, & possibly my Witness 10 mm into the line up, & I find I'm not happy with the support of the ( still pretty new ) Carhart belt... both the 1.5" width, & the fact that the buckle area is a single layer of the split leather, & seems to stretch more with the heavier guns...

I've seen some belts that are made by some holster manufacterers, that have a stiffener built into them, & anyone have any recomendations on stiffeners ??? I'd think it would be a good idea, but have never tried one...

BTW... I wear mostly jeans, prefer higher riding OWB holsters, & wear a 42" long belt...

anyone have any suggestions for a belt that doesn't cost your left testical, will hold up for at least a year of hard use, & doesn't have a 6 month lead time ??? & easy to buy or order ??? thanks in advance for any tips you guys might offer...
Old January 10, 2008, 09:33 AM   #2
rickdavis81

I tried the cabelas and other "heavy duty" leather belts and was not pleased also. I bought one of the wilderness tactical belts. I've had it for nine months and still looks new. No lead time and $40. I was still wearing my dressier(sp) leather belts to work but decided the wilderness was more comfortable so it's all I wear now. When I take my IWB out it's quicker to tighten my belt now. Supports my XD45c owb no problem at all. A good holster helps too. I've been using the don hume iwb and pancake and I love them.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:48 AM   #3
kayakersteve

Gunners Alley

They have great belts and cost of mine was ~$70.00 with good turn around time. Have had it for a year and wear it daily and carry with it almost that much too - No signs of problems and once broken in, it is very comfortable.

http://www.gunnersalley.com/c=TBYlku...ssories.belts/
Old January 10, 2008, 10:01 AM   #4
tulsamal

When I ordered a holster from Simply Rugged, I ordered a belt at the same time. I think it was $35-$40. Turned out to be a very usable belt. I'm wearing it right now. 99% of the time I'm wearing a belt, it is that one. I've had slightly better belts in my life but they cost a LOT more money!

http://www.simplyrugged.com/leather_goods/index.html

Gregg
Old January 10, 2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Edward429451

I got my last belt at my shoe repair shop for 20 bucks. Nice and stiff 1 1/4", and he had brown or black. Seems just as good as any high dollar belt from specialty outfits.
Old January 10, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
2cooltoolz

I just bought a Galco SB2 at my local gunshop last week. Paid full retail of $79 there, but appreciated being able to try it on as opposed to buying online. Plus I shop/shoot there a lot and want to support the business. I do see them online though in the $60 range.
At any rate it is a nice heavy (double thick/lined?) sports/jeans style leather belt. 1 1/2" weighs about 2-3 times any belt I've owned before. Fairly rigid, very comfortable, supports my P220 in a OWB holster securely and comfortably. I carry a Seecamp IWB in a Galco deep cover, which doesn't require much, but that works well also. Even when not carrying, the belt makes my pants look less "slouchy" and gives a nice supported feel. Don't know how it will hold up yet, but seems quality.
Old January 10, 2008, 11:19 AM   #7
johnbt

I have good leather gun belts, but I also have 2 of these - one in black and one in fake lizard. I bought them locally for about $35 each.

www.copsplus.com/prodnum2421.php

"Uncle Mikes Reinforced Holster - Dress Belt

Smart dress belt appearance, but with the rigidity to support even the heaviest handgun
Laminated 1 1/4 inch construction sandwiches a polymer stiffener between two layers of Nytek nylon
Belt remains flexible and is no thicker than an average leather dress belt, yet provides a good platform for carrying a holstered gun, radio and other accessories
Belts are available in dress black with brass buckle"
Old January 10, 2008, 12:00 PM   #8
sholling

I've managed to find myself some smoking deals on eBay. A Ross Gunleather for like $40 and a Hellwig. That Hellwig could support an anti-aircraft gun.

Anyway once in a while you find some great deals.
Old January 10, 2008, 12:05 PM   #9
OJ

Resistol makes good stiff and long lasting belts sold in most western clothes stores. I've used them for several years and they work well and don't get soft or weak - and they only cost $25.00.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; January 10, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old January 10, 2008, 12:58 PM   #10
CraigC

I got a lot of mileage out of a wide Bianchi pants belt. Still managed to wear it out though. Don't know what they're selling for now.

Been wearing my Mernickle pants belt every day for several years, whether I'm carrying or not. It's a quarter inch thick and still looks practically new.
Old January 10, 2008, 02:18 PM   #11
BikerRN

I'm one of those guys that orders custom holsters and belt.

The reason I do that is because they really do work better, IMO. If you don't want to go that route, take a look at Dillon Precision. They sell a Mitch Rosen Express Belt. It's a good quality belt but isn't up to the standard of his custom stuff. I have one in 1.25" for when I wear a suit, which is very infrequent.

You get what you pay for. Pay a little now and a lot later or pay a lot now and nothing for a long time. As far as size, I find 1.50" to be optimal for daily carry in casual clothes.

Biker
Old January 10, 2008, 02:59 PM   #12
jlficken

I've heard very good things about these:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

I have a Milt Sparks belt that was $105 from http://www.lightningarms.com and it is really an leap above the other belts I have tried. It was worth every penny.
Old January 10, 2008, 06:51 PM   #13
NCHornet

Go to loopers leather. I just ordered a custom made Ranger style gun belt for $40. Their quality is awesome and a two week lead time. This is probably one of the best kept secrets in the leather industry. Tell them Kevin Lancaster sent you. You will be very happy.
NCH
Old January 10, 2008, 08:04 PM   #14
rickmelear

+1 on the Wilderness Belt. Best $40 I ever spent.
Old January 10, 2008, 08:20 PM   #15
svenrh

Milt Sparks or Idaho Leather. You really do get what you pay for. I have had an Idaho Leather (~$70) belt for MANY YEARS and with a coat of oil, looks brand new and I anticipate having it the rest of my life as long as I don't get too fat. Anything Milt Sparks makes is a cut above the rest regardless of the price as well. Make sure you get a double layered, heavy stitched kind. Also make sure the two layers are glued together so it doesn't get that leather squeek.
I cringed hard when I paid for my belt, but have since chalked it up as one those "best, worth every penny purchases" I have ever made.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:29 PM   #16
Walter

+1 on the bullhide belts from http://www.thebeltman.net/. I've had one for two years and it hasn't stretched at all.
It's a little scuffed from sliding holsters on and off, and from clipping mag holders on , but if I'm carrying, it's concealed anyway, so what the heck?

Walter
Old January 11, 2008, 10:41 PM   #17
Bulldozer

I only own gun belts

I wear a custom gun belt every day for the past four years. Prior to that, at least 2-3 days a week for most of a decade.

I've NEVER found any mass produced, sold in the store belt that has the lateral stability to hold up either my Commander or my 3" K-frames for sustained use.

If you can grab the belt between your thumb and index finger at the top and bottom and pinch it, and it bends at all,... you don't have enough strength in it to keep your holster/gun from bowing out when it's on your waist.

I've got Tuckers, Del Fattis, and Alessis that are years old, worn daily, and in great shape. I've been less impressed with the Hume and Bianchi offerings.
Old January 12, 2008, 02:19 AM   #18
gunfighter48

I make my own gunbelts, 1/4 in thick veg tanned leather, glued, sewn, and riveted.

Old January 12, 2008, 04:57 AM   #19
curmudgeon1

The "Instructor Belt" from www.thewilderness.com works real good with my 1991-A1. $39.95 Check it out.
Old January 12, 2008, 06:54 AM   #20
DWARREN123

I have a BlackHawk belt, got it at a gun store and it is nice, heavy duty carry belt, I payed $49 if I remember correctly. If you are going to carry get a carry belt, regular belts just are not made for carrying.
Old January 12, 2008, 08:17 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

I have a Ross belt that paid between 50 and 60 for. It's held up pretty well for the past 1.5 years but is starting to breakdown a little. I plan on buying my next one from thebeltman.com however.
Old January 12, 2008, 09:37 AM   #22
xrmattaz

Nate (Ugly Bald Guy) makes a dandy leather carry belt! $60. and approx. 4-6 weeks wait.

I've had mine for a bit over a year now, carry with it every day, with no discernible wear.
Old January 12, 2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Crimp

Quote:
looking for something thats not over $50.00 ish... & doesn't have a 6 month lead time, but will hold up for a year or so...
Go down to Wally World and look at the Dickie's work belts. Very stiff and thick 1-1/2" belts for cheap. They'll last you for a year and should hold most pistols reasonably.

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old January 13, 2008, 12:01 PM   #24
NCHornet

The Widerness belts are a good belt as long as you are concealing the entire belt. Otherwise they scream " I have a gun" and are to "Tactical" looking for me. I think there is no one belt for all forms of dress. I like to have a dress belt and one for jeans.
Old January 13, 2008, 12:08 PM   #25
Wildalaska

Our custom holster guy (some of you who have P7s may have seen his work) does wonderful, hand made holster/dress belts that are cheap and I have them in stock.

Anyone interested in pics?

WildmondayAlaska TM