The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old January 20, 2008, 04:43 PM   #1
SamHouston

Texas Castle Law

The Dallas Morning News has actually published several good articles about our right to protect our homes and property. Check it out.

'Castle law' arms Texas homeowners with right to shoot

Some worried by law that allows drivers to have weapon

Deadly incidents involving intruders

This is the way it should be in every state.
Old January 21, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
SteelCore

I agree, it should be universal.

My only reservation is that I think deadly force should only be used to protect property when that property is of very significant value -- and then only when a warning is given first. I could never shoot someone in the back just because he was running away with beer he stole from my fridge. JMHO

From your third link:

Quote:
State Rep. Borris Miles of Houston –who voted against Texas' Castle Law – shot and wounded a man he said was trying to steal copper from his new home in July. Mr. Miles was upstairs in the home, then still under construction, when he heard noise downstairs. He found two men cutting pipes. When he yelled, one threw a pocketknife, and Mr. Miles, who has a concealed-handgun permit, shot the man in the leg. He was not charged in the case.
How many of these clowns have a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude?
Old January 21, 2008, 02:00 PM   #3
SamHouston

I agree the beer theft was not good use of deadly force.

Quote:
A 23-year-old prostitute in Port Richey, Fla., killed a longtime client in July 2006 when he threatened to shoot her, then kill himself. The woman grabbed the gun from the 72-year-old man and shot him. The state attorney's office declined to charge her, citing a provision in Florida's Castle Law that removed a requirement to retreat if possible.
This is the one I liked. Made me wonder if "theft of services" from a hooker in her place of business falls under their castle laws.
Old January 21, 2008, 02:20 PM   #4
miboso

In best reporters voice: "In a related story, recidivism rate declines"
Old January 21, 2008, 03:13 PM   #5
SamHouston

Good media coverage is rare

As a fairly well educated guy I must admit Recidivism was my word of the day and had to look it up.

I've only been hanging around this forum a few months and recently recieved my CHL. TFL is one of the best places I've found to educae about my rights, firearms and the political process.

I don't believe the majority of citizens understand they have the ability and obligation to defend themselves and their family. What a shame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidivism
Old January 21, 2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Sigma 40 Blaster

3 well written articles, I prefer to read a story that presents both viewpoints and leaves the reader to make the decision. Citing the good and bad side of Castle Law and the new car carry law was the first story I've read in a while that actually required some analytical thinking. One quote kind of confused me regarding the lack of background checks to carry a gun in a car...we still have to get a background check at each purchase unless we have a CHL. So one dumb misleading quote for the whole story wasn't bad.

And then this:

Quote:
State Rep. Borris Miles of Houston –who voted against Texas' Castle Law – shot and wounded a man he said was trying to steal copper from his new home in July. Mr. Miles was upstairs in the home, then still under construction, when he heard noise downstairs. He found two men cutting pipes. When he yelled, one threw a pocketknife, and Mr. Miles, who has a concealed-handgun permit, shot the man in the leg. He was not charged in the case.

Anyone catch this one from the third link posted? Voted against Castle Law but has a CHL and shot to step the theft of some pipe? Is that a pretty weird contradiction of voting record and actions?
Old January 21, 2008, 07:56 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In my eyes... THEFT IS THEFT!
What might be a menial item to someone of wealth may be a irreplaceable possession to someone of less means. Items I own valued at over $1,000 is limited to ONE item... My 1990 F150 4X4. I own several guns but none valued at even $500. My ol' puter, bookshelf stereo, projection big screen and a $20.00 dvd player... While many of these items is instantly replaced by some would take me years to save up to replace. 'Cept maybe the $20.00dvd player...
Keep yer grubby thievin' meat hooks off my stuff and I will not induce lead poisoning on you. I think all 50 states should follow the Texas example!
Brent
Old January 21, 2008, 08:40 PM   #8
homefires

I don't have much worth taking a life for! If the item meant my survival and or well being at the time of it's taking, that would be a different matter.

Say take my weapon in a time of desperate need of said weapon. The taking of my vehicle, leaving me stranded in the boonies, would be a NO NO!

Invasion of my home is a different matter! DEATH SENTANCE! Entering My Personal Domain with out my or family permission would be met with Deadly Force.

Self and Family Preservation would be No. One Priority! I would Piss in a light Socket it would stop them!

Code of the West!
Old January 21, 2008, 10:35 PM   #9
SamHouston

Rep Burris Miles is a democrat from Houston which would explain some of his politics but check out the recent article:

Quote:
The Harris County District Attorney's Office is investigating a complaint that state Rep. Borris Miles, D-Houston, made threats and brandished a gun at a holiday party last month.

According to witnesses, Miles entered a St. Regis Hotel ballroom uninvited, confronting guests, displaying a pistol and forcibly kissing another man's wife.

David Harris, who threw the party for his property management company, said he believes Miles, an insurance agent, was angry at him for investing in a rival business.

"He was saying things such as, 'I told you to get out of the insurance business. There ain't room in this town for the two of us. I'm going to come after you and take you down,' " Harris said.

The District Attorney's Office received a written complaint about the incident and is investigating, but officials declined to comment further.
Full story

Every state must have their share of bad politicians. Hopefully they stay in the minority.
Old January 21, 2008, 11:35 PM   #10
Sigma 40 Blaster

hogdogs...I agree with you to an extent. Just thought it was odd that the guy voted against the Castle Law but is a CCW'er and shot someone over stealing pipe.

If he didn't want the Castle Law to be passed he should have screamed, locked himself in any room with a lock, settled in, called the police, and pleaded with them to leave instead of shooting them right????