The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

Ruger LCP/Kel-Tec P3AT comparison pics.

Here are a couple overlays of the new Ruger LCP and the Kel-Tec P3AT. One shows the LCP over the P3AT and the other shows the reverse.

As you can see the similarities far outweigh the differences.

The ejection port is lower on the LCP, the trigger guard is beefier on the LCP, the grips seems better finished on the LCP, and the mag well on the LCP seems beefier and better made.

Old February 6, 2008, 06:13 PM   #2
IdahoG36

The extractor on the LCP looks to be better than the Kel Tec's.
Old February 6, 2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Playboypenguin

I think the Kel-Tec extractor may have been improved since this pic was taken. At least I herd rumors that it had been.
Old February 6, 2008, 06:18 PM   #4
IdahoG36

I had a new production P3AT about 3 months ago, which I sold and bought a NAA Guardian. It had the same extractor. Have they changed it already, or is it in the works?
Old February 6, 2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Jack Rotts

Neat little Ruger

I haven't seen this little Ruger before. Is it new or have I been asleep? What are they going for?
Old February 6, 2008, 06:25 PM   #6
IdahoG36

I was just at my local gunshop today and the owner said they are supposed to ship in March. I think MSRP is $330, but don't quote me on that.
Old February 6, 2008, 06:27 PM   #7
IdahoG36

Here's a link to the Ruger site.
http://www.ruger.com/LCP/Specifications.html
Old February 7, 2008, 02:25 AM   #8
_W_

im sure there is some licensing agreement.
Old February 7, 2008, 03:57 AM   #9
ShootemDown

wow. nice looking. I wouldnt mind owning this sucker ! very nice indeed. I NEED IT !
Old February 7, 2008, 07:09 AM   #10
DMK

Quote:
I think the Kel-Tec extractor may have been improved since this pic was taken. At least I herd rumors that it had been.
That is the 2nd gen extractor. The 1st gen extractor looks more like the Ruger's.

Personally, I wish Ruger would have made a copy of the PF9 or P11 instead.
Old February 7, 2008, 09:01 AM   #11
SKM&P9

If there weren't so many QC related issues with the new SR9, I might be tempted to check one of these out. Looks vastly improved over the P3AT. Time will tell.
Old February 7, 2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Officer's Match

It'll probably be the first Ruger I've bought since a Security Six in 1979. Call me superficial, but I like the sound of a Ruger in my pocket - a KelTek, not so much...
Old February 7, 2008, 09:50 AM   #13
darko

I would like to know if the Kel-Tec belt clip will work on this?

28:06:42:12
Old February 7, 2008, 12:34 PM   #14
NCHornet

My dealer has ordered 6 of the LCP'S which I have first dibs on the first one to get there. Estimated arrival is end of March to mid April. I will let y'all know as soon as I get the call that say's "come and get it!!"

NCH
Old February 7, 2008, 06:12 PM   #15
Kahrman

Ruger or Keltec????

RUGER can't wait.........I am actually selling my Keltec as we speak.........

Ruger, in my opinion is a better grade than the Keltec..........
Old February 20, 2008, 05:14 PM   #16
JBriggs

I have had a few problems with my P3AT, but Kel-tec fixed it right up. The only problem is the common complaint that it is not durable enough for practice. I agree b/c both my .32 and .380 broke during practice sessions.

I think that Ruger is going to hit a home run withn the LCP, because I have never known Ruger to sacrifice on quality control. I have owned and still own numerous Rugers, including a SR9, and I have always been satisfied with their construction and performance. It is true that many of their pistols have been bulky (except for the Mark series) and chock full of sharp edges and snags, but it seems that Ruger finally caught on to what is really needed in a carry pistol. (Hence the SR9- which is a GREAT pistol)

From the looks of the LCP, it seems that they finally listened to us. I can hardly wait to put one in my pocket!!!!!!
Old February 20, 2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Redneckrepairs

My p3at is a fine little gun . I do have to say tho that the better quality photos of the " shot show " ruger i have seen it is obvious the quality of the molding sets it a step above , much less any fitting or " pre fluff and buff " that ruger might do in advance . And for the record i pretty much despise ruger center fire autos so its not a fanboy post . I will wait till i can " coonfinger " one tho before i get real excited and start selling kidneys to afford multiples of it , after all its still a .380 lol .
Old February 20, 2008, 11:20 PM   #18
Sixpak

SR9 QC issues

" If there weren't so many QC related issues with the new SR9, I might be tempted to check one of these out. Looks vastly improved over the P3AT. Time will tell "

Please let me know of where you got the QC ( I'm guessing Quality Control )
issues. I have 500 plus flawless rounds thru mine. The trigger sucked at first but that was gone after the first 200 rounds. I have smaller hands and this gun fits me perfect with a 17 + 1 double stacked mag. Its accuracy still amazes me. It is my primary carry for the winter months.

Sixpak

Last edited by Sixpak; February 20, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Quote wrong
Old February 21, 2008, 04:01 PM   #19
farnorthdan

Peening

The only QC issues I've seen with my SR9 is some peening were the barrel locks up in the slide. Some are having more than others. If you go to the Ruger forum and search SR9 you will see some pics of more severe cases.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...19774&start=15

Last edited by farnorthdan; February 21, 2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Old February 21, 2008, 04:16 PM   #20
SKM&P9

Ruger QC issues

From what I've seen, right out of the box the SR9 is full of crud, metal chips, and thick vaseline-like grease. That alone can account for a nasty trigger.

Posted by: drstrangegun at October 23, 2007
I just got my SR-9 and am having the same problems with the mags. Did you use the Scottdale number to call Ruger?

Posted by: Jay at January 15, 2008
While I liked the way the weapon fired (good sights, accuracy, & mild recoil), I was disappointed that I began experiencing "stovepiping" after only 25 rounds. The slide also failed to lock to the rear after all rounds were fired.

SR9 Failure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time ago, I posted a thread that I had a SR9 for trade for a wheel gun. I am just not comfortable with a semi automatic pistol.

Since then, I took the SR9 to the Range for a second time, and had two accidental discharges, and when the event was reveiwed with the Range Officer, it discharged accidentally on him as well.

I WANT TO WITH DRAW ANY OFFER TO TRADE/SELL THIS PISTOL AT THIS TIME.

For the information and consideration of other SR 9 owners, I offer the following information:

I inserted a full clip of ball 9mm into the SR9, and when I released the slide to charge the chamber, IT DISCHARGED down range. A new round cycled into the chamber.

After some discussion, it was decided that I must have had my finger on the trigger.

A 2nd clip was inserted, and with absolute attention to not having my finger anywhere near the trigger, the slide was drawn, released, and IT DISCHARGED down range a second time. The remaining 16 rounds were cycled through without incident.

The Range Officer repeated the cycle, and it DISCHARGED on him when the slide was released to charge the chamber.

I have called Ruger, they are sending the documentation to return the pistol to them.

TO ALL THIS I'D JUST LIKE TO ADD, NO WONDER I'M NOT COMFORTABLE WITH SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOLS.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:20 PM   #21
SKM&P9

Ruger QC

Sixpak, I'm not trying to slam the gun (SR9), I can only relate what the members her and other gun sites report. I like the looks of the new LCP, and would pick one up over a Kel Tec even with it being new. The fit and finish of it looks to be far better than the P3AT.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:39 PM   #22
darko

I already sold my P3At to get ready for the LCP. I'm still just wondering if the belt clip will work on the Ruger.

28:06:42:12
Old February 21, 2008, 05:08 PM   #23
Sturmgewehre

Here are a couple of SR9 peening pics.

Old February 21, 2008, 08:59 PM   #24
Boris Bush

When I see the Ruger copy of the Kel-tec I think about when Smith&Wesson coppied the Glock and everyone wanted one...........

No thanks, From my own experience with Ruger Semi autos (their revolvers are fine weapons) and my brothers and my friends that have had them (I will admit I worked with a guy that had a P97 that was spectacular), I will stick with my Kel-tec. The same family and friends have never had a problem with the Kel-tecs we own......
Old February 25, 2008, 11:02 AM   #25
imatt

There HAS to have been some licensing agreement. Before even seeing this post I held my P3AT up to the screen beside the LCP and couldn't believe the similarities. Hopefully the barrel was beefed up a bit (the +1oz?) to allow DPX without destroying the barrel.

My P3AT goes everywhere with me - but it may not keep me from getting a LCP.