The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 7, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
mr.b

1st impression: Ketlec sub 2000 .40

Well, I've been wanting a small carbine rifle for a little while now. I went and looked at the Beretta storm, and the Keltec sub-2k.

I liked the look of the Storm, but the magazine compatability between the Keltec and my Glock 22 won me over so I bought the Keltec.
(the Storm being nearly 3 times the cost had nothing to do with it.... I swear )

So today I took it over to an indoor range. My expectations for this gun werent much. I mean, the front sight is basically a scrap of Dayglo wedged into a small ghost ring looking front sight. The rear sight is a peep hole that folds down when the gun does.

I figured I'd be lucky to place 10 rounds on a target at all. (I was using those 6" Shoot n' See targets at 50 ft for my first set.)

First shot, bang... dead center. I'm not using a rifle stand, I'm standing up holding this incredibly awkward gun in an unfamiliar shooting position, pointing a 1/8" wide strip of orange plastic at a target, and pulling on a painfully sharp (still covered in mold flash) trigger.

First shot ever through this gun? No way I just did that.

I thought someone was kidding me. Did someone on a different lane shoot my target to mess with my head? Nope.

Shot after shot grouped extremely well. The first magazine all stayed within 2" and as stated above, I'm just holding the rifle in a standing position, and I'm not all that great of a shot with a rifle in this position (yet)

I rolled a new target out to 100ft (max at our indoor range) and still did very well all things considered. I stayed inside of 4 inches for 30 or so shots (two magazines) before wavering off target mainly due to shoulder fatigue.

All in all, I put around 150 rounds through the gun today, and for a short little rifle, with handgun ammo and a less than stellar shooter holding the gun, I was pretty impressed. I'd like a better sighting system on the gun, but I can't fault the one they have, it looks tacky, but it definataly worked. I'd bet with a bench and a scope I could get this thing to group well at 100 yds or maybe more.

If you want an inexpensive carbine that folds in half, takes Glock mags (I think they make them for other gun compatability as well) an shoots pretty darn good right out of the box, go have a look at one of these Keltec's.
Old February 7, 2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Diesel1

Good range report, I have been looking at these lately. I have always liked the pistol caliber carbines. I always thought the Marlin camp carbines were interesting.
Old February 8, 2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Mosin44az

Interesting, the price is certainly right. Let us know how it holds up. My best Kel-tec pistols were only good to 300 rounds before they started malfunctioning.
Old February 8, 2008, 12:51 AM   #4
Dave85

Thanks for the report

A post on the .327 Mag. got me thinking again about how I really should have a good pistol/carbine combo in a shared caliber. The Keltec is on my list of guns to consider.
Old February 8, 2008, 05:05 PM   #5
chris in va

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the KelTec instead of the HiPoint. That folding feature is just too darn cool plus you can use REAL mags.