The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 1, 2008, 02:33 PM   #1
htindall

Looking for info on an H&R 622 revolver

I recently inherited this little gun. It was my father's, and he came into possession of it in the early to mid 70's when the original owner (one of his best friends) moved to Canada and couldn't take it with him. Unfortunately, the original owner passed away several years ago, and his family knows nothing about the gun except they remember that he had it and loved it as a target pistol.

I plan to keep it and pass it on as a dual-family heirloom (that's where it's real value lies), but I'd love to be able to give my children some technical info on it to go along with the stories of the two men who owned it.

The marking on the barrel identifies it as an H&R 622 and it has a serial number of U39071. Any guesses as to a manufacture year for it?

Also, it has ivory grips (I'm 99% sure they're plastic -- they glowed florescent yellowish-green under UV, but testing with a hot pin produced a divit) which seems to be rather unusual. All the photos of / listings for similar models show black grips. Could these have been original, or is it more likely the grips were replaced as some time?

Any info -- or point in a direction where I can research it further -- is greatly appreciated.
Old March 2, 2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Dmanbass

Harrington & Richardson

Hello, I have a H&R 22 caliber 9 shot. Yes 9 shot. I found that Brownells or Numrich gun parts carries some parts for them still. I think the grips have been replaced at some time. I think they originally all came with black. Hope this helps.
Old March 2, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
pistolet1

htindall

I don't know about the date of manufacture, but the original grips were described as checkered black Cycolac, so the ones on there now are probably replacements. Retail price back in 1973 was $37.95; in 1978 it was $57.50; and by 1982, it was going for $69.50.
Old March 2, 2008, 08:26 PM   #4
walter in florida

H&r 622

I believe the date is somewhere around 1952. I have a 622 with AC which I believe is 1960. It was made with a 2 1/2 inch and 4 inch barrel. For about 6 or 8 years it had a two part cylinder that if the cylinder pin was put in the front of the cylinder out of the gun and was taped, all spent ammo would fly out. Grip were black and were used in many H&R revolvers. That about all I know. I shot mine about 500 times and pretty accurate for a 2 1/2 inch barrel.
Old March 2, 2008, 10:19 PM   #5
walter in florida

H&r 622

Sorry about the info, have some updates on dates. The 622 was made in several varations so date is important ie. at least 4 different hammers. It was made from 1957 (TXXXX) to 1985 (BBXXXX) Mine ACXXXX, was made in 1966. So UXXXX would be 1958. Got this info from B. Goforth who just published a book on H&R firarms.
Old March 3, 2008, 08:16 AM   #6
woad_yurt

H&R revolvers started with an "A" serial number prefix in 1940. 1941 was, "B," '42 was "C," etc. They skipped "I." After they went through the alphabet, they sarted all over with "AA."

So, your gun was made in 1960, I believe.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:44 PM   #7
B.N.Real

One of my first revolvers was a H&R .22 6 inch revovler.

What a great firearm.

What a demanding gun to shoot well but well worth the effort.