The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 4, 2008, 09:41 PM   #1
RandyStacyE

DIY Bench Rest Table

I've been digging online trying to find some ideas of how to build a decent bench rest table. I did find a few sets of plans and all were pretty thorough. I sort of combined a couple sets of plans to make this one. I'll list the links to the plans tomorrow (don't have much time at the moment).

Sorry for the crummy photos, but here's how the table top turned out.

Here's a pic of the underside and the legs attached for storage:

A closeup of the clamps:

It's made of 3/4" plywood, some cheapo 1-1/2" flanges, 1-1/2" galvanized pipe, some 1-1/2” couplings, and some PVC end caps. The couplings I had to cut at an 18 degree angle and weld to the flanges … other than that the rest is pretty much self explanatory. I used some leftover black PermaFlex (from sanitred.com) to coat the plywood from a previous project. The clamps were from savko.com and are called 'Click Clamps'.

Turned out nice, but I cut the legs too long I'll have to shorten them a bit ... which is why I don't have a pic of the thing assembled.

I'll post more if anyone's interested, but I'll definitely post the other plans tomorrow.

Last edited by RandyStacyE; March 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:09 PM   #2
jpwilly

Looks good! let us know how it ends up working for you.
Old March 5, 2008, 07:53 AM   #3
jrfoxx

Nice.pretty well puts my $10 Bi-mart folding table to shame.it was cheap though, and is plastic and aluminum, so its ligh, and the legs fold to fit in my car nicd.Also has a pretty big surface are for rest, ammo and spotting scope, with enough room I'm not bumping stuff off all the time, and its surprisingly stable with a faily wide base, so it aint pretty, but considering my current skill level, it works.
Eventually, when I feel my marksmanship is worthy, I'll have to steal your plans there and make a nice one.your's lloks really good.
Old March 5, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4
DBotkin

Looks nice. What seems to be the right height for a shooting bench? Been thinking of building one for myself.
Old March 5, 2008, 09:59 AM   #5
RandyStacyE

Here are the original 3 sets of plans that I found online:

http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm

http://www.boogerbench.com/

This is a VERY informative website and also has a set of plans:
http://www.larrywillis.com/shootingbench.html

I honestly have no idea how high a table should be or even if there is a 'suggested height'. I doubt there is. I'm actually waiting on a rest to arrive in the mail. Once I get that and nestle my rifle I should be able to determine the best height for me with my fold-up camping chair (it's going to be kinda low I think).

I just realized a stupid mistake I made though. I installed the Click Clamps even though I have no idea what the leg length will be. How much ya wanna bet that the clamps will end up being too far apart? Oh well ...
Old March 5, 2008, 10:23 AM   #6
lg_mouth

My pops and I built one

My pops and I built the larry willis bench. I think it ran us about $35 all together. Now that was two years ago and we had some of the spare parts lying around. It is a solid table and works for me.

Lg_mouth
Romans 10:9-10 Proverbs 27:17

Always bring your GPS. It is awkward when you have to eat your buddies!!!
Old March 5, 2008, 10:27 AM   #7
RandyStacyE

This is the rest I'm getting. It was cheap to begin with and FREE shipping!

http://www.foxvalleyfirearms.com/pro...roducts_id=217

I know it's not the best, hopefully not the worst, but it should work I think. I have a few scopes to try and zero in.
Old March 5, 2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Full-choke

Randy,

I have that rest and it actually works quite well. It is built pretty darn well IMO, just make sure you weight it down or might as well just use a bipod. I have used it several times at the range and I have been pleased with it every time I used it. I've had it for about 9-10 months now, not a single problem with it.

F-C
Old March 5, 2008, 10:32 AM   #9
RandyStacyE

lg_mouth,

I should have went with two sheets of 3/4" plywood like the Larry Wills bench shows. That bench looked REAL sturdy, but I didn't like the shape as much as the other; it looked like it didn't have room for a spotter scope.
Old March 5, 2008, 11:20 AM   #10
RandyStacyE

Full-Choke,

Thanks for the input on the shooting rest. I happen to have quite a bit of lead lying around so I'll be sure to weigh it down. This rest was the best priced one I was able to find that would hold an AR-15 with a 30 rnd mag.
Old March 5, 2008, 08:01 PM   #11
RandyStacyE

I just recieved the shooting rest today! Unfortunately I had to remove my foregrip to use the rest. At least it's easy to put back on.

I originally cut my legs @ 30" which for me made the table WAY too tall (table top 31-1/2").

I'm about 5' 9" and my ideal table height (I think) is around 26-1/2" high. I cut each of the pipes to the length of 24-3/4". I think it will bring the table height to around 26-1/2" when fully assembled.

My camping chair is kinda low so this should work out well:

Now if only the weather would break so I can use it
Old March 6, 2008, 02:45 PM   #12
RandyStacyE

Here's another link to a set of plans I just found:

http://personal.palouse.net/bkrmt/Pic.html
Old March 17, 2008, 11:33 PM   #13
RandyStacyE

Well I'd have to say that I thought that going with only 3/4" plywood would result in an unstable table, but it's proven to me to be quite stable. I think that chopping the legs down to 24-3/4" made huge improvement.

The plastic shooting rest that I listed above turned out to be not bad at all. It's very light and I have 2 socks that I filled with 13.5# of lead each which made the rest more stable too.

I'll post some pics of the table all set up just as soon as it stops raining here.
Old March 18, 2008, 12:05 AM   #14
Bogie

To the original poster.

I hate you. Nothing personal there. Just that the dang thing is VERY nice... Nicer than what I've got...

<gnash, gnash, ghash...>

Of course, sooner or later, you're gonna scratch it...

(grin)

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old March 18, 2008, 08:18 AM   #15
RandyStacyE

Bogie ... I already dropped it. I put a nice gash in the front corner. Oh well, at least I didn't drop my rifle