The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Glockeroo

Since some people think only Glocks Kaboom. Take a look.

Link has more information in detail.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841531

Old March 14, 2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Glockeroo

Old March 14, 2008, 05:26 PM   #3
kristop64089

This is heresy and you should be "drawn and quartered"

I can hear all the "Yeah, But's" Firing up as we speak.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:30 PM   #4
ElectricHellfire

Yep. That sound is a hundred angry forumites headed this way. Scram.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Officer's Match

Blowing up a Ruger SA is no easy trick - glad I wasn't present for that one.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:36 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Anyone who says or thinks that only Glocks can "kaboom" is a fool. Any gun can blow given the right (or wrong) circumstances. Most revolvers blow from overloads. Most auto pistol blowups are due to out of battery fire or a blown case. There are almost as many reasons for blown guns as there are blown guns. No one brand, no one caliber, no one type of gun has a monopoly on bent metal and broken parts. One fortunate thing about handguns is that the shooter is rarely injured, unlike blown rifles or shotguns.

Jim
Old March 14, 2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Glockeroo

Quote:
One fortunate thing about handguns is that the shooter is rarely injured.
This amazes me. You would think the shooter's hand was damaged by viewing the photos.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Glockeroo

Quote:
Anyone who says or thinks that only Glocks can "kaboom" is a fool
Thanks for reiterating on this for those that truly think it only happens to Glocks.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:44 PM   #9
KyJim

But that's the difference in some Glock owners and owners of other brands. Others will admit that sometimes a manufacturer will make a lemon or have a design problem. Many Glock owners simply deny that it could possibly be the pistol. It's always the ammo or maybe the shooter's fault, never the pistol's. BTW, pictures of KBs without explanations are pretty worthless.

I personally think Glocks are dependable, reliable weapons. I just don't own any because I don't like the ergonomics. I do take exception with some of the Glockers who insist upon "Glock Perection."
Old March 14, 2008, 05:44 PM   #10
kristop64089

Glockeroo, do not take this the wrong way:
Normally you come across as Glocks Biggest Fanboy.(no offense)
This time tho, you make an excellent point. I get SICK AND TIRED of the Glock always Kaboom rhetotic.

I am a Glock owner, so I am a bit biased, but I own many other guns as well. I fear/respect them ALL.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Glockeroo

Quote:
Glockeroo, do not take this the wrong way:
Normally you come across as Glocks Biggest Fanboy.(no offense)
This time tho, you make an excellent point. I get SICK AND TIRED of the Glock always Kaboom rhetotic.
I'm sorry for being such a Glock fanatic, but I agree that these are pics that definitely need to be shown to the misinformed. People against Glock will not show these pics to a person they are trying to convince to buy and H&K or XD.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:04 PM   #12
B.N.Real

Any info if these were all factory ammo gun failures?

The ruger is a failure I never expected to see in this group.

I'm banking on a handload gone wrong on that one.

Bizarre presentation of the remaining rounds as well.

I see the pressure from whatever failed,caused the cylinder walls to fail and reflected back on the brass cases and pressed them back into the inside of the cylinder.

I wonder if what we are seeing there is a spontaneous combustion of two rounds in the cylinder because the bullet jumped crimp in the cylinder below and when the unlucky shooter fired that Ruger,the lower cylinder ignited at exactly the same time the first(barrel) round did.

That would explain why the bullet never went down the barrel.

The explosion below it caused the bullet to twist sideways in the cylinder as it approached the forcing cone and effectively plugged that cylinder.

The simultaneous explosion of two rounds was way more than the cylinder was designed to handle and it cracked and flew away.

Makes one a little more concerned about the possible consequences of bullets jumping crimp especially in these magnum calibers availible today.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:07 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

"Yeah, but those guns only blew up because they were all fired by Glock owners........."

Some scary pictures and a good reminder to always wear shooting glasses.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:07 PM   #14
warrior poet

On the other hand....
My grandpa used to tell me about a young liuetenant he once saw using his 1911 as a hammer to drive nails during a base clean up after a storm. Later that month, he saw the same young officer- using the same weapon- qualify expert at the range. Go figure.
Polymers and aluminum alloys are great for weight reduction, but to stand up to true ABUSE... there's no substitute for steel. It takes torsion, tension, impact, and abrasion "all around better" than any readily available material.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:10 PM   #15
Glockeroo

Quote:
"Yeah, but those guns only blew up because they were all fired by Glock owners........."
Oh stop!
Old March 14, 2008, 06:27 PM   #16
HighValleyRanch

glock 29 KB

On glocktalk a while back, a guy had a glock "kaboom" after a few rounds of doubletap. Previous cases were badly bulged and he should have noticed, but the case blew out, mag flew out(did as glock intended, "soft relief") and blew the extractor off.
Long story short, he sent the double tap ammo and the gun back to glock.
Glock looked over the situation and determined the ammo was way over pressured.
BUT, GLOCK FIXED HIS GUN AT NO CHARGE, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS NOT THEIR FAULT. But doubletap did not even reply to his plight.
Speaks highly in my mind for glock stepping up to make things right.
Was not rightly a KB, but a case failure.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:33 PM   #17
solz56

Pretty sure those are caused by firing HOT reloads.
Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old March 14, 2008, 06:39 PM   #18
Alleykat

I wouldn't fire DT through any of my pistols, Glocks or otherwise.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:40 PM   #19
kristop64089

To be fair we shouldn't assume that ALL were failures due to reloading
Old March 14, 2008, 06:53 PM   #20
azredhawk44

To be fully frank, as an anti-glock shooter and former owner who has converted to the church of the 1911 and revolver...

I blame all KABOOMs on ammo. Either the reloader or factory, but the ammo causes it. Unsupported chambers are okay for the first shot (older glocks, for example), but it is the RELOADER that puts that flared case back in for a second shot and pulls the trigger.

(And the "10mm special" .40 short-and-weak gets its fair share of blame for just existing)
Old March 14, 2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Wildalaska

I read that only Glocks kaboom on factory ammo, and that there is a conspiracy on Glocktalk to hush it up.

WildiknowAlaska TM
Old March 14, 2008, 06:59 PM   #22
Aqeous

No Glocks are not the only ones that go KB.

HK Expert KB: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-expert.html

SIG P239: http://www.thegunzone.com/sig239-kb.html

.38 Snubby: http://www.thegunzone.com/charterarms_kb.html

.44 Magnum Colt: (This Ones Really Impressive) http://www.thegunzone.com/anaconda.html

However we should not be so quick to blame the guns--neither the model, or instantly declare them as lemons. There is an over abundance (A SUBSTANTIAL over abundance) of reloading issues involved in these KB's. Specifically you will read quite regularly that the reloader had accidentally loaded a double powder charge in to the offending bullet . . . an no surprise KABOOM!

Additionally there are certain questions being raised about Accurate Arms #5 powder. It has found to be a "common denominator in many of the blown Glock that have been returned".

It should also be noted that IF where talking about the .40 S&W, we are talking about a high powered load. It is known that if the bullet itself is set into its case further back then its supposed be (even by an utterly minuscule amount) the pressure skyrockets. If it were not for stringent quality controls at the factory we might see more of these kinds of events in the .40 S&W.

Now about Glocks and KB's

This is a quote from Accuracy Arms most recent reloading guide regarding the .40 S&W pistol:

"In recent years it has become very apparent that there exists a situation regarding some pistols chambered for the .40 S&W cartridge. Some of the pistols currently available to shooters may not provide complete support to the case when a cartridge is chambered.

This information [AA's load data] is safe for use in firearms which provide complete support of the case. Failure to fully support the case with cartridges of such intensity may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, separated case heads or other consequences which may result in damage to the firearm and/or injury or death to the shooter and/or bystanders.

If you own a firearm chambered for the .40 S&W, we recommend you contact the manufacturer to determine if the case is fully supported.

If your firearm does not provide complete support for the case, DO NOT USE Accurate Arms Company data or products to reload your .40 S&W ammunition.

This is the first time Accurate Arms Company has felt it necessary to place such a restriction on the use of our products, but the continued safety and welfare of the shooting public compels us to do so."

Additionally:

"Warning: This data is intended for use in firearms with barrels which fully support the cartridge in the chamber. Use of this data in firearms which do not fully support the cartridge may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, case head separation, or other condition which may result in damage to the firearm and/or result in injury or death of the shooter and/or bystanders."

No actual names are mentioned . . . but it is clear what they are talking about. They are talking about the .40 and they are "Talking Glock"

Officially Accuracy Arms has said this:

"Concerning the internal dimensions and configurations of centerfire metallic calibers, especially semi-auto pistols. This warning is not aimed at specific weapons, but any weapon with the conditions or dimensions as described below. Accurate Arms did not compile special data for any weapon."

Then goes on to state this:

Chamber dimensions:

It is extremely important to note that due to aftermarket modifications and for certain factory produced semi-auto pistols, some pistols have chamber configurations that do not fully support the chambered cartridge case.

"This modification is incorporated to aid in the reliable feeding of the round from the magazine. Although this practice is acceptable with some calibers such as the 45 ACP which generate relatively low pressures, this kind of incomplete support can be a real problem with high performance calibers such as the 9mm x 19P, 38 Super, 40 S&W, and 10 MM Auto calibers."

"Although it might also be acceptable for first fired conditions such as factory ammunition or new unused cases, a potential hazardous condition can be created when cases are reloaded for the second or subsequent time. Whenever a deformed case results after firing (eg. a bulged or "pregnant" shape from the base of the main body towards one third to half of the case body), it is a sure sign that the case is not fully supported. Although this bulged part is reformed during resizing, the case strength could be weakened. The problem occurs when this part of the weakened case again lines up with the modified part of the chamber. This will then cause the case to fail and the gasses to be ejected into the internal cavity of the weapon."

So simply put there is a real, documented issue regarding Glocks chambered in .40 S&W. Its NOT an at "epidemic proportions" but it is enough for Glock to add this statement into its Annuals:

"Don't use cast lead bullets at all, or at least be very careful about lead buildup if you do."

This statement has to do with the polygonal barrels that the Glock's use. They are by no means only used by Glocks, but there are growing concerns that lead can build up EXTREMELY fast in these types of barrels, and when they do dangerous pressures build up when a bullet if fired. The result is a KB.

So take the Accuracy Arm's statement or Glock's statement, either one is speaking to a documented, (though not "epidemic" issue) regarding Glocks chambered in .40 S&W.

Man I am going to get it for this post
Old March 14, 2008, 07:38 PM   #23
tplumeri

this ones my favorite

50BMGrifle.jpg
Old March 14, 2008, 08:38 PM   #24
ElectricHellfire

Not just Glock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9mmchamberedrounds.jpg (41.0 KB, 1197 views)
Old March 14, 2008, 08:42 PM   #25
Aqeous

You are very right . . . not JUST a Glock . . . but Glocks ARE included.