The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2008, 09:47 PM   #1
jwalker497

Seecamp or Guardian

Can someone here please post some comparison pics of the Seecamp .380 and the Guardian .380 side by side, if you have any or can take any. I am trying to assess the size difference between the 2. Also, about what is the price of these 2 guns? THanks.
Old March 18, 2008, 06:54 AM   #2
TacticalDefense1911

Here is a link to a PDF of different Seecamp pistol sizes. http://seecamp.com/SizeWeight.pdf

Here is the link to the NAA website. http://www.naaminis.com/380.html

There is a big, big price difference between the two. You can find a new NAA Guardian for around $400-$450 while a Seecamp 380 will cost you around a $1000.
Old March 18, 2008, 02:47 PM   #3
David the Gnome

Good luck finding either.
Old March 18, 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
dogtown tom

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=171820
Old March 18, 2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

The NAA .380 is MUCH larger and heavier than the Seecamp.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Playboypenguin

Here ya go...

The Seecamp is smaller and lighter but a bit harder to handle. The NAA is a good gun but too heavy for pocket carry IMHO. The Seecamp wins out overall.

Old March 19, 2008, 09:03 AM   #7
xrocket

+++ on the Seecamp over the NAA any o'l day.
Old March 19, 2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Laserlips

FWIW:

I believe general consensus is that in a tiny platform, with such a short barrel, such as the Seecamp, or Guardian, the difference between the "stopping power" of the two calibers is questionable.

The Winchester Silvertip has (I believe) about a 63% one shot stop record in actual shoot outs, and I believe the 380cal. to only be marginally more effective.

Additionally just from what I read the 32cal. round might offer better follow up shots as the recoil isn't as dramatic.

Having said that, (and I have a LWS32), I've got an LWS380 on order, because I want to compare the two for myself and then decide which I think makes for a better cc firearm.

I DO think the Seecamp is the absolutely best mousegun in the world and IF I am going to be carrying a tiny gun in any caliber, I want that tiny gun to have Seecamp engraved on the slide..

From pictures I've seen, and posts I've read the NAA Guardian in 380cal. is a pretty large, heavy sucker, much larger and heavier for example than the NAA.Guardian in 32cal. The fact that Larry Seecamp has managed to keep the size of the Seecamp, whether in 25cal, 32cal, or even 380cal the same size is amazing.

One of the seldom mentioned positives of the Seecamp line of pistols is the excellent resale value. Most folks who buy Seecamps simply don't get rid of them, although transfer can be a result of the reading of wills...

Check out the differences between the availability, and resale value of used Seecamp firearms as compared to the competition.

IMO NAA Guardians are excellent firearms. I've had two in 32cal. in times past, and I have nothing negative to say about them other than they have been sold, and more Seecamps have been bought.

Just personal opinion/YMMV

Jesse
Old March 19, 2008, 10:25 AM   #9
SamHouston

My personal carry is the Seecamp 32.

Quite a kick for a small gun and it would be interesting to see what the .380 does.

I think there would be a long line by the ladies if he would come out with a 22 caliber. I'd love to have one also.
Old March 19, 2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Laserlips

SamH:

If Larry Seecamp came out with an LWS22 (or LWS9) I'd buy one. But I'd buy the LWS22 simply because I'm a big Seecamp pistol fan, not as a cc option.

I'm a big fan of some 22cal pistols. I think the old original 22 cal. Ruger "Standard" pistol was and is a classic.. I've had several, and other than being a little difficult to reassemble after cleaning (for me) they were all fantastic.

For the past two years I've depended on a very nice Firestorm (Bersa-in-law) FS22 as my "in the woods" snake gun. In fact I was sure that sucker would never fail me, and told everyone so.. I'm thinking, "hey, this little pistol could do as a self defense weapon in a pinch". It NEVER let me down.

Until the day I ran up on a rattlesnake that I thought needed dispatching as it was coiled up smack dab in the middle of my dogs daily walking path.. Not a problem as I knew a well placed CCI "Stinger" would be sufficient to make the poisonous snake permanently "cold blooded" as in deceased...

The pistol misfired, and the snake and I had an interesting moment or two. I finally cleared the problem, killed the poor critter, and forever lost my faith in the 22cal round for self defense, or associated duties.

Yep, I know. My 38cal J frame, or 9mm Walther could also do the same thing.. Misfires occur.. But I knew going in that a rimfire round is inherently more LIKELY to misfire than a centerfire round. So now when I walk my doggie, I do it with my Crimson Trace Lasergrip equipped Airweight Bodyguard in my back pocket.

I like 22cal firearms, still have a few, but I limit their use to plinking and making holes in paper targets. If I'm doing something I think might require a reliable round, I use a centerfire.

IF I had an LWS22 I wouldn't want JoAnn to use it for any purpose other than pleasure plinking.

Just personal opinion, no offense intended.

Best Wishes,

Jesse