The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2008, 09:03 AM   #1
IM_Lugger

Kimber custom II vs Taurus PT1911

Deciding between Taurus PT1911 SS and Kimber Custom II St. .45...

I would like to hear from people who own (or have at least shot) both pistols. I've never seen a PT1911 in person, but have shot blued custom II and handled the custom stainless model. I liked the feel of the Kimber (prefer smooth front strap/grips) and like the look of the matt stainless finish.

But Kimber, in my area costs at least $100 more, and I have heard about the new guns come with broken parts etc. also jamming is an issue with some gun. I haven't put that many rounds thru one but did get it to jam once...

Taurus seems to be a great deal and you don't hear about them being unreliable, but I have read about safeties braking off... Also I'm not a fan of front grip checkering and to be honest the don't like all the writings on the slide.

btw IIRC Kimber is listed as 38oz and Taurus is 42oz. How come th PT1911 4 oz heavier? or is one w/o a mag and the other with a mag?

Last edited by IM_Lugger; March 19, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:24 AM   #2
TacticalDefense1911

I love my Custom II but the Taurus seems like a fine pistol as well. You can always swap out grips if you do not like the grip on the Taurus. Both would serve you well I'm sure. You get more with the Taurus for less money but the Kimber has proven itself to me. Its probably a toss up. If you want a Kimber you buy the Kimber; the Taurus is probably just as good of a gun for less money.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:25 AM   #3
IdahoG36

I personally wouldn't want either of them.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:31 AM   #4
KMO

Quote:
I personally wouldn't want either of them.
Well, that detailed post really sheds light on this comparison. Thanks for helping sway my opinion...ha!
Old March 19, 2008, 09:47 AM   #5
IM_Lugger

^ hey that was my line

Quote:
ou can always swap out grips if you do not like the grip on the Taurus.
I was talking about the front strap checkering...
Old March 19, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
ElectricHellfire

Picking from those two only - Taurus
Personally I think Springfield beats them both.
Old March 19, 2008, 10:56 AM   #7
RJM

The kimber is by far the nicer all around gun. I know that kimber is frowned on by people and frankly I don't own one, but I have shot them. All I had to do was look at the Taurus and realize it isn't playing the same game as the kimber. Look at the checkering, or at least what taurus considers checkering, on the grip on the blued models. Its pathetic and the Taurus customer service is reportedly worse than Kimber. Frankly, what I would do is a save a bit more and buy a Dan Wesson pointman, a Smith and Wesson 1911 or a springfield loaded. The milspec and GI are pretty good offerings from Springfield too for relatively cheap too. That is if you really can't stomach the Kimber.

That is my take on it. I have owned a Springer GI and own a Dan Wesson now, soon to be two of them. I have done quite a bit of research and played around with nearly every 1911 in my area to make a decision when I bought the DW and I have to tell you I wouldn't pay for the Taurus.
Old March 19, 2008, 11:22 AM   #8
IdahoG36

Quote:
Well, that detailed post really sheds light on this comparison. Thanks for helping sway my opinion...ha!
Ok I'll elaborate a bit. I had a PT1911 that whenever you loaded a full 8 round mag into the gun, the first round would nosedive into the feedramp when you chambered it, jamming the gun up solid. This happened with 2 different brands of 230 gr hardball, and 4 different brands of mags. The mags were the factory Taurus mags, Chip McKormick mags, Novak mags, and Wilson Combat 47D mags. It happened every time, like clockwork.
I traded that off for a Kimber TLE II, which ran flawlessly.
I then purchased 2 more Kimbers, a Pro Raptor II and a TLE/RL II. The Pro Raptor had problems with not going fully into battery, and the TLE/RL II jammed quite a bit. I will add that no limp wristing occured, and all of my guns are meticulously lubed and cleaned.
Based on my own experiences, I would not own either of them. Maybe this will sway your opinion. I now own a Wilson Combat Protector, and a S&W 1911. Both have been completely flawless so far through many rounds.

This is my personal favorite.....
Old March 19, 2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Rinspeed

I'd take the Kimber over the Taurus any day.
Old March 19, 2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Colt Delta Elite

As a long time owner of several Kimbers, I'd choose it over the Taurus. But as others have pointed out, there are some other very good choices that you should consider as well (ie. Springfield, S&W 1911, Dan Wesson).

Toss those into the mix to make your decision even harder.

< this space for rent >

Last edited by Colt Delta Elite; March 19, 2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old March 19, 2008, 11:48 AM   #11
IM_Lugger

If I had more cash to spend I'd get the DW Razor 10mm...but I'm limited to the 2 choices I listed...
Old March 19, 2008, 12:46 PM   #12
RJM

Quote:
If I had more cash to spend I'd get the DW Razor 10mm...but I'm limited to the 2 choices I listed...
Then you should get the Kimber in my opinion. If you find you really don't like it, its value will hold better than the Taurus. Honestly, I think the Kimber is a much better firearm than the Taurus.
Old March 19, 2008, 12:57 PM   #13
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
I was talking about the front strap checkering...
Put on a set of Hogue grips that cover the front I was wonding if it was the front checkering you were talking about after I posted.
Old March 19, 2008, 01:26 PM   #14
sholling

Hmmmmmm would I want the one with the super short warranty or the one with customer service so horrible that the warranty is essentially useless? That's a hard one.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:44 PM   #15
IdahoG36

Quote:
Hmmmmmm would I want the one with the super short warranty or the one with customer service so horrible that the warranty is essentially useless? That's a hard one.
^^^+1

Nice. How true....
Old March 19, 2008, 02:53 PM   #16
.45&TKD

Kimber much better for only $100 more.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:24 PM   #17
Qwiks draw

Here's the pitch for Taurus.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?board=25.0
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=285287

Then again there's nothing wrong in choosing either brand.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Officer's Match

It's been flawless and very accurate thus far:

Old March 19, 2008, 03:43 PM   #19
shepherddogs

Do yourself a big favor and get the Kimber. I've had 3 that were all excellent. Everyone I know that has one likes it. There are some here who have had problems with their Kimbers but my experience is quite the opposite.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:56 PM   #20
glockman19

Not even a question Kimber all the way. I have 4. One is a Custom II. There were two reasons for my purchase. 1) I wanted a similar gun to my custom shop I could shoot a lot. 2) The indoor range I went to rented one and I shot it better than any other gun even my Glock 19. They said they had it because it was well made and that was important in a range gun. They did not rent Taurus. They said they don't hold up to others.
Old March 19, 2008, 06:58 PM   #21
steve-o 1911

I shot both before. I own the Taurus PT1911 I think it shoots great I never had a repeated jam like the guy said about his round nose diving in the mag. I use wilson mags now, I tried also mec-gar and the originals and never had a problem it rarely jams on me, and I shot numerous types of rds through it. And I know 2 other guys who owned one and never had problems. But everyone has there opinion on their gun. I think this is Taurus only well made gun with alot of extra goodies for cheap compared to the kimber. I also heard Taurus has bad customer service, but thankfully I havent had anything bust on me yet and I have owned since it came out. I would shoot both then decide, its all in how it feels to you. I shot them both alot and I think the Kimber shoots alittle better, but both shoot dead on for me. If its a starting gun I would go with the cheaper one. Kimber is def more well known so I think your gonna hear alot more people praising it, try both out every gun feels different to others
Old March 19, 2008, 07:06 PM   #22
Officer's Match

Quote:
Ok I'll elaborate a bit. I had a PT1911 that whenever you loaded a full 8 round mag into the gun, the first round would nosedive into the feedramp when you chambered it, jamming the gun up solid.
Got me to wondering, so I function tested mine for this problem.
1. Full 8 round factory mag, slingshot technique - 100% flawless.
2. Chambered a round from the magazine, reloaded to full 8 round capacity, reinserted mag - 100% again.

I'm having a hard time not loving this pistol.

Old March 19, 2008, 07:31 PM   #23
steve-o 1911

I agree with Officer's Match. No problems
Old March 19, 2008, 07:44 PM   #24
allenomics

Quote:
Kimber, in my area costs at least $100 more
The Kimber should sell for at least $250 more, IMO. Check more sources on price so you can determine the best overall value.

At $550-$600, the Taurus might be a better deal than the $850ish Kimber.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:49 PM   #25
Colt Delta Elite

Could be a clue.....

Quote:
get the Kimber in my opinion. If you find you really don't like it, its value will hold better than the Taurus.
I, as well, believe this is true. And I think that should tell you something.

< this space for rent >