The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 22, 2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Para Bellum

Do you carry at home - Why do people feel safe at home?

Do you carry at home - Why do people feel safe at home?

I do carry at home. I felt safe at home and in my firm until a guy stormed my firm and stabbed an employee repeatedly into the head until the folding knife broke. My buddy survived with big luck and massive surgery.

Before that event I didn't carry at home or at work, but on the way (sounds so ridiculous now). I had the gun(s) in the safe at home, holstered it to get to work, put it into the safe at work and holstered it again for the way home. I felt safe indoors. For NO REASON.

I am safe on the way. Sitting in my strong and fast car, how could a BG hurt me before I run him over or drove away? Now I carry 24/7, of course also when driving - you never know.

By the way, recently we have a problem of organised burglery/robbery-crime taking place deliberately while patrons are home. That makes it easier for the BGs to get the safes etc open by torturing wifes or kids instead of drilling holes into hardened steel. You are not safe indoors. If you carry, carry.
Old April 22, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
dwatts47

I can't say that I always "wear" at home, but my nightstand gun is NEVER out of sight/reach no matter what room I'm in.
Old April 22, 2008, 03:00 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

Why?

This....
http://www.wfsb.com/news/13736066/detail.html

or this...
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4555778

or this...
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=6063190

and the list goes on and on and on.
Old April 22, 2008, 03:20 PM   #4
primlantah
Registration in progress

**** happens. I have seen it. I know people who have been victims. I have known bad guys. Bad guys dont care where you are or who you are if you have what they want. If a bad guy comes to my home while im home they will leave with extra holes. Keep your weapon handy always.
Old April 22, 2008, 03:23 PM   #5
pax

Well, most of us "feel safe" at home, or it wouldn't be home.

I certainly feel safe in my own home, but concealed carry is my default setting. I put the gun on when I get up in the morning and take it off when I go to bed at night -- regardless of where I am going to be during the day.

As for being safe (as opposed to feeling safe) in your own home, check out these stats from the US Dept of Justice:
  • Of the 207,240 rapes and sexual assaults in America in 2004, 30% happened inside the woman's own home.

• Of the 83,920 rapes and sexual assaults committed by a stranger, 42% happened inside the woman's own home.

• Of the 99,130 incidents of completed robbery in which the victim was injured, 31% happened inside the victim's own home.

• Of the 895,340 cases of aggravated assault, 18% happened within the victim's own home.

pax
Old April 22, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Yellowfin

I carry at home because at least that's one small--extremely small--area around here where I am as free as I am everywhere in the Free States. It does make my sidearm more readily available for defense in situations that happen quickly, and I do value that, but for me it is at very least a matter of principle that I be at very least as close to a free man as I can when I am at home. I have a right to anywhere and everywhere else, but it is not recognized here.
Old April 22, 2008, 03:39 PM   #7
TheNatureBoy

No!
Old April 22, 2008, 03:45 PM   #8
SilentHitz

I carry at home, because this is MY home. Your home should be the one place where you can find relative refuge from crime, but it's just not like that anymore.

I remember growing up in a home where the windows were open (no air conditioning) and the doors unlocked, and never had an incident. You can't do that now in most places. I keep a pistol within arms reach no matter what room I'm in. Criminals place no value on human life, so I put no value on their's if they are bold enough to break in my little corner of the world...IT'S MINE, not theirs.
Old April 22, 2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Bond007

Not generally

Having a loaded firearm (and they're all loaded) nearby demands responsibility and diligence, requirements I sometimes want to be able to avoid while relaxing at home.

At home I primarily rely on, living in a "safe" neighborhood, good neighbors, good locks and minimal awareness. However, I don't believe my home is a fortress, I make sure there are rooms one could run to quickly where one could easily gain access to a properly secured firearm if needed.
Old April 22, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
cschwanz

I never did when i lived with my parents b/c there was always easy access to a loaded gun if needed. Now that I'm on my own and have my carry permit, i do. My Ultra Compact is on my hip right now as I'm typing this. I didn't that often before i got my permit b/c it was a hassle to take it off everytime i wanted to leave the house, but now that i have it, its gonna be on me no matter where i am(other than school and places as such)
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old April 22, 2008, 04:38 PM   #11
MrClean

I carry... almost everywhere. I'll be sworn in on the 17th of May and have even more reason to carry at that point. But I've pretty much always had something close at hand. Times aren't like they use to be. You have kids that have no value for human life at all, can see that every day in the news. Then you have adults that are just a drain on society and keep getting let OUT of prison. Just saw a clip today where a woman was arrested for DUI.... she had 18 prior DUI arrests!!!! EIGHTEEN!?!?!??!?! Why was she not in jail still? How many does a person have to kill to be held accountable? Do we wait UNTIL she kills? Apparently so.

I feel safe in my home. As safe as possible. Let me conclude by saying I'm not a vigilante'. In my prayers (not daily, but I try) I normally ask that I never have to take someone's life or even be faced with that decision. So if I am ever faced with that decision, I feel sure that there will be no other way when I pull that trigger. It's my responsibility and duty to take care of my family. That includes taking care of ME so that nobody else raises my kids but me and my wife.

I wish time was turned back and Bad Guys were easily identified and handled swiftly and firmly. The more society becomes "politically correct" they worse it will get. Bad Guys are bad. Period. I don't give a rat's patootie what color they are or if they are female.

yea yea... preachin to the choir. hehe
ya'll take care out there

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old April 22, 2008, 04:41 PM   #12
grymster2007

Quote:
...but for me it is at very least a matter of principle that I be at very least as close to a free man as I can when I am at home. I have a right to anywhere and everywhere else, but it is not recognized here.
I'm not far up the road from you and I feel the same way.

At home, I have at least five firearms I can get to in a hurry and sometimes I carry one around the house with me. We live in a very nice neighborhood, but the houses are secluded. I have to travel and work unarmed, so at the least I make sure I feel comfortable in my home.
Old April 22, 2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Wildalaska

I usually walk around in my Thunderwear with My M1A strapped to my back and my S&W 44 in the pouch.....

WildsarcasmmodeoffAlaska TM

Quote:
Of the 83,920 rapes and sexual assaults committed by a stranger, 42% happened inside the woman's own home.
Not to pick on you personally Pax, but if you assume 85 million households in the US, that is a...hmm....lets say .0004% chance of that happening in an average home.

Point: Stats can't justify everything.
Old April 22, 2008, 05:01 PM   #14
Lurch37

Quote:
I usually walk around in my Thunderwear with My M1A strapped to my back and my S&W 44 in the pouch
Lets hope you mean a holster pouch right?
Old April 22, 2008, 05:09 PM   #15
Avenger11

What's the barrel length on that S&W 44?
Old April 22, 2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Wildalaska

Quote:
What's the barrel length on that S&W 44?
I try to alwys by 2 1/2 inchers so I don't get too envious

WildmrsnubbyAlaska ™
Old April 22, 2008, 05:40 PM   #17
hoytinak

I don't usually carry at home unless I'm outside in the yard but while inside there is always something within a couple feet of me.
Old April 22, 2008, 05:42 PM   #18
rantingredneck

Ruger SP101 in a fobus right now. Mossberg 500 standing in the corner loaded but unchambered.
Old April 22, 2008, 05:56 PM   #19
Avenger11

Allow me a sentimental moment. I grew up in a time and place where you never locked your doors, left your keys in the car, took your deer rifle to school and Mom never worried unless you were late for supper.Guns were for hunting or targets, not home defense. Home defense, tactical anything was not in the lexicon.
Flash forward 50 years and today I live in a gated community guarded 24/7, car is equipped with anti-theft everything, have a monitored alarm system,got my CCL, keep gun in the nightstand and the car, and the Grandkids can't go outside without adult supervision because according to the CPS web-site we have six predators living within a two mile radius.
Do I feel safe? It's all relative to the times and your enviroment. I tnink over reaction to perceived threats is as dangerous as the threat itself. Raw statistics, not put in perspective, prove nothing.
The chance of any of us experiencing a real threat is very low, about the same as you winning the Lotto!
Old April 22, 2008, 06:13 PM   #20
starshooter231

Yes I wear at home (unless I'm sleeping). Just because I feel safe at home does not mean that I am safe at home. I would rather be safe than sorry.

starshooter231
Old April 22, 2008, 06:53 PM   #21
pax

WildAlaska,

Yup. But it's a sure bet that there are at least approximately 35,247 people -- per year -- who thought the same way.

Sure would suck to be one of them, when it's so simple to just get dressed in the morning and stay dressed 'til bedtime.

pax
Old April 22, 2008, 07:07 PM   #22
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Allow me a sentimental moment. I grew up in a time and place where you never locked your doors, left your keys in the car, took your deer rifle to school and Mom never worried unless you were late for supper.Guns were for hunting or targets, not home defense. Home defense, tactical anything was not in the lexicon.
It's funny how similar my growing up was to Avenger's and yet so different. My reminiscence would go more like this...

Allow me a sentimental moment. I grew up in a time and place where you never locked your doors, left your keys in the car, took your deer rifle to school and Mom never worried unless you were late for supper.

Guns were for hunting or targets, but also for defending your home and livelihood and you kept your guns ready and close at hand because cattle rustling and threats via wild animals were not just some set of cowboy movie cliche. (and no, I'm not kidding, we actually had "rustlers" trying to steal our beef cattle more than once!)

Quote:
The chance of any of us experiencing a real threat is very low, about the same as you winning the Lotto!
Funny thing about that. For whatever reason I lead a semi-charmed life. What I mean is that lots of weird and sometimes dangerous things happen in my vicinity ALL THE TIME. The charmed part is that the weird stuff almost never happens directly to ME but even so it's like some kind of super weird area effect.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; April 22, 2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 22, 2008, 07:19 PM   #23
YZR

I live in a safe neighborhood too but my S/W 642 is strapped to my side as I type.
I have it, it's legal so why not?
Old April 22, 2008, 07:47 PM   #24
mavracer

properly prepaired is having a gun accessable in every room in the house,yet you still must carry in case your attacked in the hallway.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 22, 2008, 07:51 PM   #25
TexasSeaRay

Hell, no, I don't carry while at home.

I've survived war and missions where you weren't supposed to, being shot three times, being stabbed, punched by more bad guys than I can--or care to--remember, and threatened with everything under the sun and then some.

I'm still here and plan to be for as long as I care to be.

I keep several firearms readily available at all times. We also have a Doberman and a German Shepherd, both imported from Europe, that will tear your lungs out and then shove them back up your butt if you mess with us.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Closed Thread