The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2008, 02:56 PM   #1
chuwee81

Range Report SW Sigma 9mm

**** i hope this is the right place to post this, if not, please move.Thanks****

Hey folks, just got back from the range. Got morning off and don't have to go to work until 4pm. So here goes.
This is my first handgun ever, been shooting a 10/22 mostly. last time i held a handgun was with my pastor and it was about 4 years ago. So i began at the beginner's range = 7 yards. Just want to make sure the pistol is ok, and basically working on my grip, stance, handgun safety, etc, etc.

I shot WWB from wally world, $18.00 per 100 rds, got 3 boxes. I shot 11 mags - 165 rds - all fed through with no problem. factory sights are pretty much dialed in, missed/ stray shots are of shooter's error. So here's the results:

There are about 6 shots that's out of the silhouette, that makes it about 3.6% of missed shots.
comments:
* low/ stray shots were because of jerking the trigger in anticipating recoil i guess.
* The heart area (10 shots) was from 1 handed shooting, purely accidental as i was aiming for the center X
* The trigger wasn't that bad - i dry fired it for 2 days ! and during that time, i practiced the grip and aim.
Weapon of Choice:

the grip tape on the left hand side above the trigger is a guide for my left thumb so i know where it should come in contact with the gun.

Wife called during session asking how's the gun (we bought it for HD training) and i told her it was great, shoots where i aimed at and she was very pleased with it. I told her for $200 bux new, it was worth every penny.
Old April 23, 2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Te Anau

The SW9VE is an unbeatable value for the money IMHO.
Old April 23, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Wuchak

Glad to see yet another good report on these. I picked one up a few months ago and have nothing but good to say about it so far. I think they are a great value.
Old April 23, 2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Old Jimmy

Glad to hear you like it. My son has one and he loves his too and it was his first pistol purchase as well!!
Old April 23, 2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Gwyndon

My father owns one because of a good deal he got on it and I must say for $300 or less your getting alot of gun I have considered buying one myself
Old April 23, 2008, 09:57 PM   #6
lou60

Sigma-

I have had mine for3 months and have not had a problem and like it very much. I have a Galco holster that is great for it.
Old April 24, 2008, 07:38 PM   #7
blutob

My buddy and I both bought one about a month ago, his is a 9, mine is a 40. Both awsome pistols. Neither of us was in the market but we handled one at a gun show and and were so impressed with the fit and feel (and price) that we ordered one each. We are both really happy with our purchases. With the present rebate and 2 additional free mags, they are probably the best value out there right now, epecially when you consider the stainless slide and barrel. These are things you usually pay extra for.
Old April 24, 2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Gwyndon

For a first time owner it is a great starter pistol. You'll add to your collection!
Old April 25, 2008, 12:02 PM   #9
chuwee81

Thx guys.

If you have any questions on the trigger work, I'll be happy to answer. So far I have tried to polish the sear - even that alone works wonders.
Then i removed the 2 springs from the rear assembly just to see how it is. All i can say is WOW. I will go to the range next week to try it out.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:12 PM   #10
B.N.Real

ANYBODY GOT A PROBLEM WITH DAT!

Great shooting.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Moe Howard

Glad you like it . The Sigma is a very underrated gun, its reliability and ergonomics are tough to beat at any price.
Old April 25, 2008, 05:13 PM   #12
sds

Congrats on the new purchase. I have a previous gen SW9V, once I got used to the trigger I have found it to be accurate and I can't think of any FTFs in the 10 years I've owned it. What more can you ask for?
Old April 26, 2008, 12:21 AM   #13
chuwee81

the funny thing is that one of the salesperson said the sigma was very inaccurate i guess he must have "heard" it from somewhere
Old April 26, 2008, 07:19 AM   #14
CajunBass

That can't happen. I read on the internet those things are no good. It takes two men, a boy and a small dog to pull the trigger. You can't hit the ground with one if you drop it. You were obviously so shakey that you just happened to wobble back and forth enough that those bullets just landed like that by accident.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 26, 2008, 07:42 AM   #15
Moe Howard

Quote:
That can't happen. I read on the internet those things are no good. It takes two men, a boy and a small dog to pull the trigger. You can't hit the ground with one if you drop it. You were obviously so shakey that you just happened to wobble back and forth enough that those bullets just landed like that by accident.
That was great. The Sigma trigger is probably the most outrageously overblown complaint in the gun forum world. The trigger pull is so long you can only shoot it while driving. It is so heavy you must be a heavyweight Olympic power lifter to shoot it. Meanwhile my wife, and my shooting buddy's wife, prefer the Sigma over any other gun in our collections. It is not the worlds greatest trigger nor am I trying to make it out to be, but seriously, if you can't handle the Sigma trigger you really should think about a gym membership.
Old April 26, 2008, 02:41 PM   #16
ISC

I used a sigma at the police academy and kept on using it even after my department offered me a Berretta 92F (their standard issue)

I never had any problems with it except for one bad mag and never understood why folks bad mouthed it so much.
Old April 28, 2008, 05:16 PM   #17
mikef

Sigma trigger jobs

There was someone doing trigger jobs for the Sigmas. I thought I read that here a couple of months back. May be worth looking in to. I look for him again and post if I find him again.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:05 PM   #18
Texshooter

there are so many "girlymen" acquainted with the glocktriggerthingy that they have lost the strength in their finger. They can no longer pull the Smith trigger (among other things.)
Old May 8, 2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Old Timer

I know I am resurrecting a pretty old thread but I presently own an SW9VE and couldn't be happier with it. It is one of the best hand guns I have ever owned (for the money). The trigger was a bit stiff, but as an old wheel gun guy it didn't bother me that much. However, I did do a little amateur gun-smithing and pulled the seer and removed the pig-tailed spring which dropped the trigger pull from around 11 pounds to around 6. Took me about 20 minutes.

Last edited by Old Timer; May 9, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:54 PM   #20
ranburr

Quote:
the funny thing is that one of the salesperson said the sigma was very inaccurate i guess he must have "heard" it from somewhere
No offense, but your target does not indicate very accurate shooting, especially at only seven yards.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:22 PM   #21
Moe Howard

Quote:
No offense, but your target does not indicate very accurate shooting, especially at only seven yards.

After reading the ENTIRE original post why would you feel it necessary to post something like that? Everyone starts somewhere and I see worse at the range every week.
Old May 9, 2008, 01:33 AM   #22
ranburr

Quote:
After reading the ENTIRE original post why would you feel it necessary to post something like that? Everyone starts somewhere and I see worse at the range every week.
Because, his post made it sound as if his shooting was accurate.
Old May 9, 2008, 08:41 AM   #23
chilie23

His post, to me, conveyed a new handgunner just relaying his experience with a newly acquired handgun. I would never pick on newb who had the courage to post actual pictures of his actual target. To me that's commenadable and with time I'm sure his shooting will improve and I encourage the OP to continue and enjoy! After the first the rest seem to just follow you home like strays...
Old December 22, 2008, 07:42 PM   #24
robodoc9301

I like mine!

Purchased a new S&W Sigma 9mm 4" barrel and it is nothing to write home about however I do not see what all of the bad press is about. I have fired about 500 rounds of .115 Winchester ammunition and I have not had an issue as of yet.

Trigger pull is very heavy, but useable at the range no problems hitting the target at 25 yards, I must have gotten lucky because I hear that the sights are not too good, I had no problems personally.

Was not impressed with the plastic return rod so I bought one from Wolff and a 18 lbs. stock spring. Also replaced the stock firing pin spring with the 3.5 unit from Wolff, it works great no issues to report.

All in all I purchased a decent weapon for $299 and recieved 2 additional 16 round mags. I spent another $30 dollars and I am pretty happy with the weapon.

Old December 22, 2008, 09:03 PM   #25
xdtactical

Way to go Chuwee congratulations! I dont own a sigma but I have shot one ,IMO A ,way underrated gun for the $ . I do object to other gun owners and enthusists knocking anybody on their shooting unless it is unsafe. At least chuwee went to the range to learn about his new gun and sounds very excited ,this should be encouraged. We need more gun lovers not just gun owners.