The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 2, 2008, 07:08 PM   #51
☼SIG☼

Glock G19 gets my vote.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:36 PM   #52
josey88

Male . I carry my Sig Pro 2022 9mm IWB , and sometimes , my 90-two Beretta 9mm in a MOB IWB holster . I wear jeans and t-shirts and medium and full size guns work for me. josey
Old May 7, 2008, 06:49 PM   #53
parrothead2581

josey,

What kind of holster do you use for that SigPro?
Old May 7, 2008, 07:23 PM   #54
Aqeous

PX4 storm SD. Its small, easy on the recoil AND stands up to the SOCOM salt spray test which means its not only + 1 for humidity and salt water, but + 1 for how you will be sweating next to it as you carry it concealed in 90+ humidity day after day.

This Link: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...09mm%20115.htm

Will take you to a review of Corbon 9mm 115 gr DPX +P
Old May 7, 2008, 07:37 PM   #55
Aquanewt

As previously posted it's more of how you wear it as oppossed to what you carry. I carry a Glock M-27 (180 gr Winchester JHP) When it's in a IWB I load with a mag with the standard floorplate for comfort and concealment. When I'm wearing a jacket, the magizines have either the finger extention or I load a M-23 mag with a sleeve that gives me more to hold on to. Pay attention to cleaning and general maintainance and you won't go wrong.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:46 PM   #56
Swampghost

I'm about 100 mi. south of you. Been carrying the same old S&W 469 for decades. If I have to go to or through one of the cities I'll throw in a .25 auto pocket pistol and the Super Blackhawk (not a CW).
Old May 7, 2008, 09:00 PM   #57
DAdams

Florida Pocket Carry

Gulf Coast, Tampa Area and here is my lineup depending on dress and where I am goin
I sometimes carry A and C.

A) S&W M&P 340 J Frame with CrimsonTrace 405 grips. Mika Round cut Holster. SGDFSB 135 gr Plus P.
One Bianchi speed strip with 4 rounds.

B) Kahr PM 9 De Santis Nemesis Pocket Holster. 115 gr COR BON DPX Plus P.
Spare Magazine.

C) Seecamp 380. De Santis Nemesis Pocket Holster. SGD 90 gr.
Spare Magazine.

D) Truck Gun. BERSA BT 380. in a rug 10 rounds Golden Saber 102 gr. JHP. with two spare mags.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:15 PM   #58
blitzer0101

Kel-Tec P-11/PF-9 or once it is debugged the Walther PPS.

"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin, (1759)
Old May 8, 2008, 01:42 PM   #59
capthookny

I mostly carry a G30 in a low rider iwb JMG holster or a belly band. Sometimes just carry my kel-tec p-3at in the pocket. Waiting for a kimber ultra carry, should be a little easier than the G30 on the real hot days (which is every day from May til Oct)
Old May 8, 2008, 01:51 PM   #60
ISC

I usually carry a Keltec P11, but sometimes pull out my S&W mo 36.

I used to have a NAA .22 lr revolver in a grop holster. That was great, even in swim trunks or shorts and tank top. I took it when I would otherwise not carry anything, like when I was jogging, and the 100% stainless steel design allowed me to not worry about corrosion from sweat.

I want to get another one in .22mag to replace it.
Old May 8, 2008, 02:51 PM   #61
Northalius

Quote:
Hmmm, 3 pocket guns (2 pricey guns at that) and a G19 comes out on top. I smell Kool-Aid...
I smell "Smart person" actually. No cheapy pocket mousegun can stand up to sand and salt water (if/when on a beach), sweat and/or general dirt, like a Glock can. That's for damn sure!

Reliability and durability (and much higher capacity, as well) trumps smaller size, any day.

You can always dress around a bigger gun; you can't make a cheapy mousegun nearly as reliable or durable, or hold as much ammo as a Glock 19! Sorry!

For me:

For me: Best: IWBing a Glock 29 in 10mm... DoubleTap 10mm ammo, that is.

A concealable, extremely durable and reliable ".40 Magnum" powered semi-auto pistol holding 11 rounds, which can also hold the 15-round Glock 20 magazines for backup, or higher-cap conversion (with aftermarket sleeve), if you want? I really don't think it gets better than that, for me.

That 10mm will be your best bet out of a semi-auto, when facing a few Florida 'gaters, too. The 10mm is used for bear defense in the woods, and some Alaskan's say the Glock 20 10mm is one of the most popular bear defense guns in Alaska. Good enough for black bears or a little bigger, then good enough against gaters, I say.

Against humans criminals? Heh! You won't be sorry you have it, but the BG sure will be!

I'd probably have a G33 (.357 SIG) Sub Compact as ankle-carried backup, if I could, while wearing pants, at least.

For third backup: Probably something small, like an NAA .22 Mini Magnum revolver... for up-close-and-personal last line of defense SHTF situations. Good for pocket carry backup.

I'm male.
Old May 8, 2008, 04:01 PM   #62
ISC

come on, seriously, all most people around here wear is shorts, T shirt, and flip flops/sandals.

Talk about carrying multiple guns without looking conspicuous is pretty unrealistic in the summer.
Old May 8, 2008, 04:36 PM   #63
Northalius

Well, yeah, if in shorts, then two guns I guess would be enough (some pepper spray, as well).

One IWB, one in pocket.

I always like backup, because no matter how good a certain brand of pistol is, no gun is perfect, admittedly. You always want "plan B" in case the S really Hs T F.
Old May 8, 2008, 09:54 PM   #64
jabineer

Yo Aqeous: Handsome piece, for sure. Thanks for sharing.

It's funny, Northalius, other than a couple of stints in the Corps, I've lived my life in FL, born in the North, grew up in the South and now gonna die in the Central and I've seen the total of two uncaged gators. Don't know why I said that but I salute your weapon of choice, anyway.

I'm still proud of my G19. I keep it clean and well fed and it makes me look like a master pistoleer on the firing range. I keep catching a thought now and then on shuffling in a G36 into the deck, I have to admit, after I jump on the LCP or the R9s. Me thinks it is self-evident from all of these fine posts that a true pocket carry is mandated here for the appropriate occasion in the Land of Flowers.

This thread has been a hoot. Y'all all know that the world isn't going to get better, right? Fortunately, we know how it's going to end and who wins.

In the mean time, it's comforting to know there is a plethora of fellow Floridians packing some capable heat.

If anyone is open to complementing his/her firearm prowess with hand to hand combat training, I strongly encourage you to take a look at this:

http://www.attackproof.com

Don't let the silly name give you the wrong impression here. Give the whole website your complete once over. I'm writing this after a session with the dude who started it all and I'm here to tell ya, he's not only the nicest guy you'll meet, he's also the deadliest. And, no, I'm not a paid professional spokesman of John's, just acting like one.

Be ready....

Last edited by jabineer; May 8, 2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: 1.1
Old May 9, 2008, 09:13 AM   #65
Aqeous

Wow . . .

Honestly thats just about some of the best stuff I have ever seen . . .

how did you come upon it?
Old May 9, 2008, 12:49 PM   #66
Hk_Allday

Live in Tampa area, been everywhere, but always come back.

Everyday I carry either:

1.) Hk USP 45c IWB/OWB, sometimes (rarely) shouldered, depending on what I am wearing,

or,

2.) Hk P2000SK 40S&W IWB

---
I don't consider it "back-up" as much as utility, but I also carry a Benchmade auto-stryker in the hip pocket.
Old May 9, 2008, 02:31 PM   #67
jabineer

Yeah, Hk, me too, seen many places but I'll always come back to my home patch. I do envy you though 'cause you got the best beaches. The Atlantic side doesn't measure up to the Gulf side. Nice rigs you got there. Thanks for you input and for being on guard.

I'll tell you, Aqeous, I'm 50+ but I've been moved to upgrade my all-around defensive skills and I was looking for something other than the norm. My kids took Tae Kwon Do for many years and it certainly was a benefit to them but it just seemed to me that something was missing. So I went googling one day and voila'. I bought the book and it made sense so I bought the conditioning dvd and just started working it a few minutes a day. Then I decided to recon the source up close and personal-like. Go get yourself some of it, is my nickel's worth of free advice.
Old May 9, 2008, 06:52 PM   #68
Hk_Allday

thank you, jabineer.
Old May 9, 2008, 07:07 PM   #69
Yellowfin

I'd probably carry something I debatably should have gotten instead of what I have now: a Para Ordnance P12. Still don't know why I didn't get it when I had the chance.
Old May 10, 2008, 05:05 PM   #70
.38Catt

I'd carry...

Sun screen.
Old May 10, 2008, 06:15 PM   #71
flyby

^yes that reigns supreme
Old June 21, 2008, 04:36 AM   #72
Teppo Sensei

Ft Lauderdale
in jeans glock27 .40 9rd mag front pocket holster
in slacks keltec32 front pocket holster
sometimes glock19 IWB holster with large shirt or glock27 with 10rd mag
its hard to keep from printing in a t-shirt

height is important for pocket carry
glock26,27,33 4.17in
kahr pm9 4in
keltec p3at 3.576in
j frame with short boot grip 4.25in
ppk 3.93in
ruger lcp 3.612in
WSP .45 or .357mag singleshot 2.25in
if you wanted to wear a fanny pack you could conceal a large gun easy
Old June 21, 2008, 07:19 AM   #73
Stone Cold

Old school, new school, new wave, retro, in-vogue, outta style. I don't know about none of that. I suspect that many people read too many gun magazines, which are good at nothing but creating markets for the gun industry. In Florida, I'd carry what I carry in Michigan, Wyoming, Minnesota, and Texas. Give me a 4.25" 1911 that runs like a scalded dog. My only high-tech accomodation to the climate might be stainless steel, but even that seems to be more Madison Avenue than Mean Street USA.

Now apart from all the half-baked theories about modern plastics being as strong as steel, triggers are the most important part of being able to hit what you need to hit with a hunk of lead. While a DA first shot has some merit in convenience (like not having to constantly clear the pistol when taking it off), it certainly doesn't compare to a crisp SA shot for ease of getting where it needs to get. Most of these fancy dancy pistols these days have triggers of mush DA and SA. Weather or climate ain't gonna change none of these facts.

Next on my hacking list is weight. Since when are Americans too small to carry a steel pistol? Based on what I've seen lately, we could carry heavier pistols than we did 20 years ago, and not even notice! Weight is another factor in handling recoil. Maybe we wouldn't need all these euro baby rounds if we had heavier pistols. Say what you want about shot placement (like crappy triggers and light frames help with that!) but 40 years ago, 230 ball ammo spun plenty of asian guys around and plain took them 100% outta the fight even with a non-lethal hit from a 45 ACP. Ever wonder why you don't hear of that kinda performance any more? Must be better shot placement, right? Maybeso.

You can have your plastic .380s and your magazine-endorsed technical wonders that fit nobody's hand and are ready for the rebuild rack or trash bin after a few years of heavy use. Give me a good ol' American made 1911 in a proper holster and I'll wear it tucked in my speedos (happiness is a warm gun) in condition 1 on Miami Beach in August, if I wanted to go to such places in the first place. Actually, I'd probably just avoid Florida altogether. Might work out better, cause I don't look too good in speedos any more.
Old June 21, 2008, 08:19 AM   #74
dogmush

I live in Tampa useally. I carry a 5" 1911 IWB. My casual wear is cargo shorts and a T-shirt. Never had a problem hiding the full size pistol. Some times I even go with my XD. Just get a good belt and holster. If I'm going to need one I want more then a noisy cricket.
Old June 21, 2008, 09:54 AM   #75
putteral

Also in the Tampa area. I carry a 24/7 Pro45 inthe small of the back.