The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 25, 2008, 03:19 AM   #1
grampi

What kind of lubricant do you use on your autoloader?

Just curious what you guys use on the moving parts. I've actually heard that Marvel Mystery Oil works well, but there are probably oils made specifically for guns that work just as well or better, I just don't know what they are. I would think you'd want to use as light of a weight as possible to keep the action as free moving as possible.

Also, when cleaning out the magazine tube (like that of a Marlin 60), should I then be applying a thin coat of some sort of an oil, or should the inside of the mag tube be oil-free?
Old May 25, 2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Incognito

Lube

Hey Grampi - I'm partial to using grease on everything. It has a much better affinity to metal than oil; stays where you put it and won't run off or pool. The only time I'll use oil is if the parts are difficult to access and lubicate with grease. Not to sound like a commercial, but Shooter's Choice Synthetic All-Weather High-Tech Grease is wonderful. I can't imagine life without it. One of these syringes lasts a LONG time.

A toothbrush is useful in application.

Then there's TW25B by Mil-Comm. Otherwise known as "whale sperm". This stuff has the consistency of cold creme and can be applied with a small arts paint brush. This is probably the best weapon grease currently available.

As far as the magazine tube is concerned, I would go with a dry metal protective coating like Birchwood Casey's Barricade. That way you don't have to worry about contaminating ammo with oil but you still guard against rust. I've used oil before in the tubes without any issues, but this would be a "politically correct" method of doing it.
Old May 25, 2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Martyn4802

Dry Slide.
No liquid lubes for this application.

Martyn
Old May 25, 2008, 06:49 AM   #4
45Marlin carbine

I use a moly-bearing roller chain/cable lube I get from Grainger's - can't think of name. I use the Shooter's Choice grease on trigger assembly also.
Old May 25, 2008, 07:23 AM   #5
rezmedic54

Oil

I use a new oil called Blue Magic. Works better then anything else I've used in a while.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old May 25, 2008, 09:07 AM   #6
grampi

electrikladyland

Maybe you can tell me where my train of though is derailed. I think of an autoloader's chamber action as a car's engine. The thinner the lubricant, the less resistance to movement. I know if you were to put 20W-50 oil in a car's engine that calls for 5W-20, you'd lose a significant amount of HP and acceleration would feel sluggish. Wouldn't the same principle apply to an autoloader's action? Don't you want the action to move as easily as possible to avoid FTE problems? Maybe corrolating engine lube and gun lube is irrelevant?
Old May 25, 2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Lifttech

Quote:
I know if you were to put 20W-50 oil in a car's engine that calls for 5W-20, you'd lose a significant amount of HP and acceleration would feel sluggish.
Grampi, that's a good analogy but just a little too the extreme. The primary purposes for the thinner viscosity engine oils is fuel economy. With that being said, it can and will effect economy by using extra horses to move the thicker lubricant but I don't think you would feel it in the seat.

Ultimately were you see contact/wear is were you need lube(type depends on environment and application). AR bolt carriers can use some lube inside to keep carbon fouling down but gas piston systems need to be run dry.
Old May 25, 2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Incognito

5W-20

Quote:
Maybe you can tell me where my train of though is derailed.
When you put grease on, it's only a very thin film that is needed, sort of like a slick thin sheen on the parts. Afterwards, the parts feel like they're floating, and not making contact with each other. It is very much the same way oil works, except that it doesn't migrate. Now if you tried to stir a jar of grease as opposed to a jar of oil, there would be a considerable difference, but where not talking about such quantities. That's a common misconception about grease, in that people tend to think of it sort of like a chassis with it "ozzing" out everywhere; not much is needed. Now granted, in extremely cold temperatures, certain greases and oils can become thicker. Nonetheless, the two I mentioned above have operating ranges which are way beyond where I would want to be.

When it comes to lubrication, your going to get as many opinions as there are products out there. The two I mentioned are by far "my favorites" and the only ones I use. This includes using these products in "work guns" which are exposed daily to environmental factors (heat, cold, dust, ect.), and I can say from personal experience that they work for me.

Last edited by Incognito; May 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:15 AM   #9
stevelyn

Break-Free CLP/LP and Brownell's Action Lube Plus.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:17 AM   #10
res45

Grease,I like the Shooter's Choice Synthetic All-Weather High-Tech Grease or Tetra gun grease. For oil I use either Rem oil or Zoom Spout oiler High Temp non gumming turbine oil available at ACE hardware 4oz. about $2.

I make my own cleaning patches,bore cleaner,copper remover.

Lots of good info here. http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
Old May 25, 2008, 11:46 AM   #11
sholling

Mostly Break Free CLP or Weapons Shield. Both are excellent products. For some limited applications I'll use a dab of Slide Glide Lite.
Old May 25, 2008, 11:50 AM   #12
CPTMurdoc30

I used to use nothign but rem oil. But I buddy turned me on to grease. Now I lube everything with grease. I found Wilson Combat moly grease works really good on everything I own.

ever can figure out how you can have a lube mixed with a solvent? CLP i can not stand. I guess after having it spit into you face for 8 years you tend to dislike it. Sounds like mixing oil and water to me.
Old May 25, 2008, 11:58 AM   #13
Pilot

I clean with a cleaner/lube like CLP or usually Tetra gun cleaner then apply a very light coat of Tetra gun grease to the moving parts.
Old May 25, 2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Incognito

Quote:
Never can figure out how you can have a lube mixed with a solvent?
It probably has to do with military logistics. Rather than transport a jug of cleaner, a jug of lubricant, and a jug of preservative, they just mixed it all together into a "soldier-proof" soup. I don't care for it either.
Old May 25, 2008, 01:21 PM   #15
no1 waterdog

lub.

the new sp10 is the greatest lube I have ever used. great on auto shotguns. John
Old May 25, 2008, 02:45 PM   #16
grampi

Thanks guys. Sounds like I have plenty of choices.
Old May 25, 2008, 03:28 PM   #17
CZ for HD

I use Royal Purple
Old May 25, 2008, 03:53 PM   #18
tomh1426

I use Weapons Shield on most stuff, Tetra on the slide rails.
Old May 25, 2008, 05:50 PM   #19
hodaka

Lubriplate, a little dab will do ya.
Old May 26, 2008, 08:16 AM   #20
Scott

Where Ar15s are concerned, I use a light synthetic grease over a coating of "Tef-Dri" where the carrier slides in the reciever and on the contacting sides of the cam pin.
Ballistol on the inner bearing surfaces of the bolt, gas rings, ejector, and firing pin.
A coating of "Tef-Dri" on the locking lugs of the bolt.
Old May 26, 2008, 08:31 AM   #21
Sidetracked

I used to run everything pretty much dry.

Now I oil with a little Tetra-Gun Oil, or Shooter's Choice FP-10. (Which ever bottle is within reach.)
Old May 26, 2008, 09:03 AM   #22
KDM

I like the dry graphite lube you can get from Napa Auto Parts stores. Goes on wet, dries to a nice film real quick. The little red tube puts it right where you want it. Surprising how long it lasts.
Old May 26, 2008, 10:35 PM   #23
Stevie-Ray

On slide rails, I've always used RIG grease. CLP for the rest.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:57 PM   #24
pbrktrt

corrosion-x does the job for me. great lube & protectant.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:08 PM   #25
LanceOregon

I've used both Tetra and Shooter's Choice products in the past.

However, Slip 2000 is clearly superior to either of those two products. Just give it a try:

I use it on all of my autoloading firearms, including 7 shotguns, 5 rifles, and 7 pistols.