The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 21, 2008, 04:37 AM   #1
Sidetracked

Eglin AFB Deer - 6 yrs worth of scouting info (Unit 3, 12, 14)

Everyone knows the habits of wildlife change. It's also a very good idea to do the scouting yourself. However, the laziness of wildlife usually keeps the habits fairly predictable. I figured I would try to give a little info to hunters in the area...

I spent 6 years living in FWB, Mary Esther, Navarre, and Holley. All of those years, I was hell-bent on bagging some swamp deer. I scouted every chance I got, no matter what time of year it was. As luck would have it... I was out of the country or hunting Muleys for 5 years straight, during deer season. Last year, I scouted just like the prior years. However, again, other priorities kept me from hunting the first half of the hunt, and I moved away before most units reopened in January. I never bagged my swamp deer.

That being said, these are my observations for the Western Half of Eglin; that may help you get started. I'm sorry, I never had a GPS device. All locations have to be described, or are Google Earth coordinates. Also, many of the roads I cite are terrible. You need to walk, not care about your paint, or use an ATV on many of these roads.

Unit 12: South to North, along 87.

Dean Creek: (East of Holley)

Where Watering Head Creek and Dean Creek meet, I saw good bucks on a regular basis; all the way up November. Tons and tons of acorns on the ground every year.

Where Watering Head Creek crosses the power line road, top of the hill to the eastern side of the crossing.
I saw a few decent bucks running just below the crest of the hill every morning, until last year. I never saw them last year, but the tracks were still around; even down by the water.
Be careful at the crossing itself. I was charged by a bear twice last year, and the crossing changes with every rain. (Watch out for the burned out S-10 blazer in the road.) The western side of the crossing has a big mud pit before the climb up the hill. Don't even try it unless it's dry, or you have good tires.

East side of 87 at Road 726. (about 1/2 mile north of where the power lines cross 87. The road is gated, but unlocked unless FPCON Delta.)
Once you get away from 87, there is an area of new-growth timber on the north side of Road 726. The time of day did not matter. I saw every type of buck and doe imaginable, every time I came through here. It was a very good spot, but small. Everything else around here is pretty barren.

Long Branch Creek.
I won't even try to give details. Every time I was in this area, I hated it. Too much swamp. But... there were a fair amount of deer close to the bay.

Hicks Creek.
This 'creek' is dry 6 months out of the year. Don't believe people that tell you otherwise. Scouting the southern parts of it are worth your time, but you'll have to hike it. The roads are nearly impassible.
The triangle created by Road 736, the Yellow River, and Hicks Creek is a great place to see some nice does and good bucks. It is not a good area to hunt, however. It is hard to find a tree that will be safe enough for a stand, and if you try to move on foot; the deer will hear you before you see them.

Road 736 between Hicks Creek and Aux Field 10.
Both sides of the road have good areas. Look for new growth, small gullies, and thick ground cover. You'll know the areas when you see them.

The pond on Hicks Creek.
If you fish, you may already know about this place. Fantastic fishing... and fantastic hunting. The problem is the fact that the deer move along a trail in the swampy section slightly to the southwest. If you set up in the trees north of the crashed F-86 (30*32'52"N, 86*57'32"W), you should have a herd moving toward you in the morning. After that... your guess is as good as mine. I hated the bugs that came with daylight. There are gators in the pond, but not too big.

Weaver River pond.
Just north of the campground, and northeast of here... The deer seem to like this area, but it's a bi$%h to hunt. Too thick for most people.

Buck Pond.
The western side of the pond doesn't have monster bucks, but some decent ones. To the south, I have seen a few does. It's not a big area. If you watch it in the morning and at night, you'll see something. They love the gully that is lower than pond level on the western side of the pond. It is a beautiful natural funnel. (Semi-popular area)

Everything East of 87 and north of Road 211. (Boiling creek and vacinity)
It's a great area. I won't lie. If I had been able to hunt last year, this would have been my first stop. The triangle between Poplar branch, Cherry branch, and Boiling creek is a fantastic little spot. But... there are a lot of Miltonians that hunt this area. ...Like flies on a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]... If you really want to go here, try Dry Hollow (almost as far east as you can go before unit 14). There will be fewer people.

Unit 3: (Limited to Archery the last few years)

Road 722 and the power lines. (West half of the unit)
Just South of where Road 722 crosses the power lines, I saw a herd running along the power line road every morning I was here. Nothing special about the bucks, but we're talking about dog-sized deer anyway...

Eastern half of the Unit.
It's hard to describe exactly, so I'll just give a general area. The southwestern corner of this unit... Herd of 12-15, one very large doe, one very nice 5x6 buck.

Unit 14:

Robert's Pond. (North of Hurlburt)
I really wanted to bag this sucker.... there is a an old scraggly atypical buck running around near this pond. He had 6 points on one side, and a spiny grapefruit on the other. I usually saw him in the evening. If anyone from this forum ever takes him... I want a picture.

The 'V' between Alligator Creek and Turtle Creek. (North of Hurlburt)
(30*28'43"N 86*40'46"W)
Without fail, I ALWAYS saw 2-3 different herds moving around here. The downside... If you aren't hiking through swamp... you aren't getting close. There is only one road to get you in, and it doesn't go far.
Beware of going south of Alligator creek. Hurlburt has some kind of 'Biological Testing' going on. A large portion of the area is fenced off.

Aux Field 4.
The biggest buck I saw while on Eglin. Right on Knot Creek, due west of where Road 633 meets 236. (30*31'17"N 86*36'19"W) I've also heard many accounts of other good deer coming out of here. The best hunting is archery season, though.

North of Timberlake.
Timberlake was a pain in my ass. The deer know it is a safe-haven, and love staying on the 'safe' side of the power line road. However, you can often catch them in the mornings, moving south from the north side of the road into the protected area.

Poachers...
I saw a lot of evidence of poaching around Holley, Buck Pond, and all over the Boiling Creek area. At the very least, keep a knife on you while in these areas.

Take this info as you wish. I figured I would share, since I'll never hunt there again. I'll be back in Muley territory soon, and no longer need a swamp deer.
Good luck.
Old June 21, 2008, 09:24 AM   #2
bclark1

It's unlikely I'll ever be out there either... but it was a fun read. Made me want to get in the woods. I don't have to worry about bears or gators though. Thanks for sharing!
Old June 28, 2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Daniel7723

I've been lurking on here for a few months, but never really had occasion to post before. However, I live in this area, and have been looking to start hunting on Eglin AFB this year. What other wildlife did you see? Did you find any areas with a lot of hogs, squirrels or rabbits? What happened during those two bear charges? Were they mock charges? How close were you before you saw the bears?
Old June 29, 2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Sidetracked

Hogs...
The only hogs I ever saw were inside the Timberlake Boundaries. I swear. I never saw another hog out there... anywhere. I have heard that the area west of Aux Field 4 (North of Timberlake) is good.

Squirrel...
I wasn't interested in them, so I can't tell you what species they were, but I saw plenty of squirrel around Holley (North and East), Buck Pond, and the Weaver River Campground.

Rabbit...
Honestly; I think the only rabbits I saw were on Hurlburt, Eglin, and in my backyard in Navarre. (My backyard was about a mile from Unit 3.)

Some additional warnings you need to be aware of:
It is illegal to carry any kind of firearm on Eglin AFB property outside of a legitimate hunting season. Many, many people get away with it, but it's Federal property. One of the wardens claimed the initial charge for offenders was usually, "Felony Trespassing while in possession of a Firearm". (Gun Crime)

If you decide to check out the Buck Pond area; do so from the North. The road approaching from the South washes out quite badly. I have seen the road over 8 feet below ground level before, with vertical walls, and barelly 6 feet wide.

Bears... Ah, the lovelly bears...
Over a 3-day weekend last year, I spotted 13 bears in different areas. (39 in a month, not counting the 2 that broke my trash can.) Most of the sightings were along the borders of the reservation; specifically along Holley, Navarre, and unincorporated Mary Esther (West of Hurlburt). I would say the average bear sighting was less than 75 yards. I spotted a few while sitting or hiking, but most were seen while driving between areas.

First charge- I was walking down one of the many approaches on East side of the crossing (Watering Head) to see what condition the road was in, came around a blind corner, and startled the bear. She was about 50 yards from me. Before I could make a sound, or step back out of sight, she charged. I got two slow steps backward and was almost back behind the brush again, as she was closing on 15 yards. The only thing that stopped her was a grunt from her cub. Yep... There was a cub down by the water. She spun around, and the cub followed her ... somewhere... Who knows. When I saw her turn, I ran like hell back to the truck to find some fresh underwear. I was NOT expecting to see bear there, and had nothing but my keys to use as a weapon.

Second charge- Same place, same situation, from the same direction, different approach to the crossing. This one was a mock charge, but she closed at least 10 of the 25 yards between us; before giving me a warning growl and heading back to the cub.
Old June 29, 2008, 06:34 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sidetracked, I am opposite you on Eglin. I am up here on the Niceville/Mossyhead corner. we got hogs but many are not in the "open" area and most are released by a handful of guys...
Gimme a shout if'n you want to meet up for a coffee or sumthin.
Brent
Old September 27, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6
cakiecke

I just got stationed here and would love to get out and do some hunting in the area. What type of permit do you need to hunt Eglin? Is it a draw system or once you have the permit you can hunt anytime? Also, what type of stand would you reccomend (climbing, stationary, pop-up)? And, I normally bow hunt but will this be possible during rifle season at all? What I mean is the area just so packed with rifle hunters that the deer would be too spooked to get within bow range? I have never deer hunted on public land so anything you think I should know I would appreciate it. Also, thanks for the in depth scouting report.
Old October 26, 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
breweda1982

New to Eglin Area

Hey Daniel7723 or cakiecke I am also new to the area. If either of you guys are looking to go out and hunt with someone let me know. I hunt Archery and Muzzleloader. Let me know.

[email protected]

Dan
Old October 26, 2008, 06:18 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

From http://www.united-publishers.com/Egl...e/leisure.html

The Eglin Natural Resources Branch, locally known as Jackson Guard, is tasked with management of the vast natural resources found throughout the 464,000 acre Eglin reservation. Approximately 280,000 acres of the reservation are open to public use and enjoyment and specific information regarding hunting, fishing and outdoor recreational opportunities can be obtained by contacting or visiting the Natural Resources Branch office at 107 Hwy. 85 North, Niceville, Fla. A permit is required to recreate on the reservation; and in addition to providing maps, regulations and permit fee information, the Natural Resources office has educational displays that promote Eglin’s rare and sensitive natural communities and management efforts.
The Natural Resources Branch hours of operation are: Monday through Thursday

7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Sundays and Federal holidays closed.
Additional information may be obtained by calling Jackson Guard at 882-4164. Jackson Guard is closed on Sundays and Federal holidays.

You go to "jackson guard" to buy your eglin hunting pass. No it is not lottery draw. PM me with ya'lls schedules if'n you wanna get together sometime to hunt or whatever.
Brent
Old January 27, 2009, 10:11 PM   #9
AU_04

ATV

I read in the initial post about the trail conditions and use of an ATV. Where exactly on Eglin can you use an ATV? Is there a special permit that I don't know about or a waiver that may be obtained. Any information would be appreciated. I live in FWB and my backyard is Unit 14. Thanks!