The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 8, 2008, 01:31 PM   #1
PAGuardian

Shooting Help for a Newbie

I just picked up my first pistol, a springfield XD 40, and am having a little trouble with accuracy (me not the gun). All of my shots are hitting a few inches low and to the right. I think I'm shooting to the right because that is my dominant hand and I'm favoring that side. However, any idea why I'm consistently shooting low?
Old July 8, 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
nutty ned

I suspect you have too much finger pad on the trigger and pulling the gun to the right, also, your wrist may be cocked fwd/down causing the barrel/slide not to be horizontal, but, tipped slightly fwd/down when you shoot.
Use your eyes and the top of the slide and see it horizontal as you line up the sights.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Catchabullet

anticipating?

perhaps you're anticipating the recoil? are you squeezing the trigger or pulling it as well?
Old July 8, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
rantingredneck

http://www.bghi.us/targets/rh_correction.pdf
Old July 8, 2008, 02:04 PM   #5
PAGuardian

Nutty Ned...I think you're right on with why I'm shooting low. After reading your post I got up next to a full length mirror, closed my eyes and got to the stance and grip I've been shooting with, and discovered that the slide is not horizontal.

Catchabullet....my initial thought was the same as yours. However, after shooting a few more clips I don't think flinching/anticipating is my problem as I was having no problem squeezing off the shot and watching my sights realign after the recoil.

rantingredneck....thanks for sharing that chart. I think it will really help.

I think the advice already given will really help me out. Thanks again!
Old July 8, 2008, 07:47 PM   #6
L_Killkenny

I think you need to take it to the range and SIGHT IT IN. Get the sights dialed in, then come back and tell us where you are hitting off-hand.

LK
Old July 8, 2008, 08:36 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

The first principle of accurate shooting is trigger control: a smooth, press straight back on the trigger with only the trigger finger moving. Maintain your focus on the front sight as you press the trigger, increasing pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks. Don't try to predict exactly when the gun will go off nor try to cause the shot to break at a particular moment. This is what Jeff Cooper called the "surprise break."

BY keeping focus on the front sight and increasing pressure on the trigger until the gun essentially shoots itself, you don’t anticipate the shot breaking. But if you try to make the shot break at that one instant in time when everything seem steady and aligned, you usually wind up jerking the trigger. Of course the gun will wobble some on the target. Try not to worry about the wobble and don’t worry about trying to keep the sight aligned on a single point. Just let the front sight be somewhere in a small, imaginary box in the center of the target.

Think: front sight, press, surprise.
Old July 8, 2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Sigma 40 Blaster

To see if you are flinching buy some snap caps, stagger them in a couple of mags with live rounds and see what happens when you run across one of them. You'd be surprised to see how much most people will flinch.

Also, another thing. Look at your index finger, there are three "parts" divided by your knuckles. Be sure the bottom or last "part" of your finger is not resting on the frame of the gun while you are squeezing the trigger. Unless your fingers are ultra bony when you press your trigger that last part of your finger will flex (flesh/muscle will push outward) and cause shots to go low left also.
Old July 8, 2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Qwiks draw

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=6716.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1014.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=835.0

These might all help.
Old July 8, 2008, 11:12 PM   #10
KYCOP

Fiddletown and sigma 40 blaster have given great advise. When I first started shooting I Let the wobble drive me nuts, subconciously you can't help but try and break the shot when you think the sights are where they should be. Total concentration on the front sight and relaxing helped me break this habit.
Old July 9, 2008, 12:17 PM   #11
PAGuardian

Update

I went out and shot a little more today and took a conscious effort to follow the advice given to me throughout this thread and it made a huge difference. I definitely had too much finger on the trigger and once I corrected it I was getting very nice surprise breaks and good accuracy. Thanks to all who gave me advice.