The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 14, 2008, 06:41 AM   #1
BrunoNorway

Norway got new gun laws.

Hey Norway got some new gun laws a couple of days ago.
The new laws say that you can't have more than 6 weapons, and you have to have a gun locker to put them in. There is also a rumor going, saying that you are no longer able to buy semi-auto rifles and shotgun.
The laws are passed but the public have not been informed yet. We already have the .50 cal ban so i just wonder what will be next.

This is pretty messed up, even for Norwegian standards.
Please tell me what you think.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Last edited by BrunoNorway; July 14, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old July 14, 2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Is Norway's government sympathetic to UN gun control policy statements?
Old July 14, 2008, 07:39 AM   #3
BrunoNorway

Hey Bud. I have never heard of any UN gun control policy that the Norwegian government is sympathetic towards. That does not mean that the government is not sympathetic to the UN gun control, it only means that majority of the Norwegian people doesn't know about it.

There have never bean anything in the media about the UN's policy on gun control, and never really an issue at all.
I don't want to shout "CONSPIRACY" right away, but it is not far off.
Can you tell me the basic, or better, do you have any link about the UN gun control policy? I need to do my homework.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Old July 14, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
azsixshooter

Do you have any kind of organization like the NRA in your country? That is the first thing you should do, get organized, get informed and pool money so you can fight those who want to disarm you.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old July 14, 2008, 08:37 AM   #5
IZinterrogator

Quote:
do you have any link about the UN gun control policy? I need to do my homework.
Here it is.

UN Disarmament Small Arms Page

Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects

Here are the scary parts:
Quote:
3. To adopt and implement, in the States that have not already done so, the necessary legislative or other measures to establish as criminal offences under their domestic law the illegal manufacture, possession, stockpiling and trade of small arms and light weapons within their areas of jurisdiction, in order to ensure that those engaged in such activities can be prosecuted under appropriate national penal codes.
What defines stockpiling? I have more than one gun. What defines illegal possession? Any weapons not in the hands of a government entity if they have their way.
Quote:
6. To identify, where applicable, groups and individuals engaged in the illegal manufacture, trade, stockpiling, transfer, possession, as well as financing for acquisition, of illicit small arms and light weapons, and take action under appropriate national law against such groups and individuals.
Same issues as above.
Quote:
7. To ensure that henceforth licensed manufacturers apply an appropriate and reliable marking on each small arm and light weapon as an integral part of the production process. This marking should be unique and should identify the country of manufacture and also provide information that enables the national authorities of that country to identify the manufacturer and serial number so that the authorities concerned can identify and trace each weapon.
This is already done, so what else are they going to trace? Your weapons that you are forced to registered so they have something to trace, that's what.
Quote:
8. To adopt where they do not exist and enforce, all the necessary measures to prevent the manufacture, stockpiling, transfer and possession of any unmarked or inadequately marked small arms and light weapons.
What constitutes necessary measures? Registration, confiscation...
Quote:
9. To ensure that comprehensive and accurate records are kept for as long as possible on the manufacture, holding and transfer of small arms and light weapons under their jurisdiction. These records should be organized and maintained in such a way as to ensure that accurate information can be promptly retrieved and collated by competent national authorities.
More forced registration talk.
Quote:
16. To ensure that all confiscated, seized or collected small arms and light weapons are destroyed, subject to any legal constraints associated with the preparation of criminal prosecutions, unless another form of disposition or use has been officially authorized and provided that such weapons have been duly marked and registered.
Once they are confiscated, they will destroy them, so even if your government tells the UN to get bent, you're out of luck when it comes to reclaiming your property.
Quote:
17. To ensure, subject to the respective constitutional and legal systems of States, that the armed forces, police or any other body authorized to hold small arms and light weapons establish adequate and detailed standards and procedures relating to the management and security of their stocks of these weapons. These standards and procedures should, inter alia, relate to: appropriate locations for stockpiles; physical security measures; control of access to stocks; inventory management and accounting control; staff training; security, accounting and control of small arms and light weapons held or transported by operational units or authorized personnel; and procedures and sanctions in the event of thefts or loss.
Do you think individual owners count as one of these bodies authorized to hold small arms and light weapons? You're fooling yourself if you believe you are.
Quote:
19. To destroy surplus small arms and light weapons designated for destruction, taking into account, inter alia, the report of the Secretary-General of the United Nations on methods of destruction of small arms, light weapons, ammunition and explosives (S/2000/1092) of 15 November 2000.
No more cheap surplus weapons. Do you know what happened to all of the semi-auto M14s and M1911s that our government held and could have sold to us citizens? My friend was an MP assigned to the duty of throwing them into a giant shredder back in the 1990s. He cried the whole time.
Quote:
21. To develop and implement, where possible, effective disarmament, demobilization and reintegration programmes, including the effective collection, control, storage and destruction of small arms and light weapons, particularly in post-conflict situations, unless another form of disposition or use has been duly authorized and such weapons have been marked and the alternate form of disposition or use has been recorded, and to include, where applicable, specific provisions for these programmes in peace agreements.
While this is designed for post-conflict regions, it is not limited to them, so anyone could be disarmed by UN mandate.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old July 14, 2008, 08:48 AM   #6
BrunoNorway

We got several but the biggest, Norwegian hunting and fishing association(NHFA), don't do anything anymore, they just don't care, so the smaller ones don't do anything unless the bigger one jumps in first. We got a very new one now, designed for shooters, the NHFA was more of a harvesting organisation for fish and game. This new organisation is not fully operational yet, so we don't really have anyone doing anything for us.
The hunting and shooting society in Norway is putting their trust in this new organisation but it might be to late. The laws was passed behind closed doors, we had heard rumors about it coming but suddenly it came, and the first we heard of it was on the news but there is nothing about the laws yet on any government sites. Scary scary.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Old July 14, 2008, 09:04 AM   #7
BrunoNorway

IZinterrogator:
I got to tell you that what you are writing about is already a fact in Norway.

• There is some bolt Mausers ang Krag-Jørgensen surplus guns but thats it.
  • Only 6 guns per persons.
  • You have to apply and register all guns always.
  • No .50 cal at all.
  • Full auto guns are not even a question.

You are lucky in the states.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old July 14, 2008, 10:04 AM   #8
armoredman

Come over, Bruno, lots of room. Minnesota would feel like home to you, accent and all!
Old July 14, 2008, 10:35 AM   #9
azsixshooter

Yeah, I am always happy to welcome new freedom-loving people to our country! Especially gun enthusiasts. But sometimes you gotta stand your ground and fight man. Don't let the antis chase you out of your own country, your own home!

Make a stand, get organized, fight. Break their laws, if you really believe in it, it is worth the fight and worth making sacrifices over. So many people here always say they'd never give up their guns or Molon Labe or "they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands" and all that. That's great but I suspect a lot of those people would bow down and give 'em up though if push came to shove. A lot of gun owners in this country are content with letting others finance the good fight and stand up for our rights. I think someone here has a signature that reads something to the effect of "if you aren't a member of GOA or NRA THANKS FOR NOTHING". That's a great slogan, I love it.

You are on the front line my friend, you have to do something now. Every day you don't fight they get stronger. I would suggest you start some kind of organization, even if it's a small, local shooting club. Get yourselves organized and then turn to other groups for help. Write to the NRA, I'm sure someone there can help give you advice on how to build a resistance. If you don't want to break their laws, study the laws and find loopholes or something to that effect. Start banding together, merging, growing bigger. Teach kids the joys of responsible firearms use and the value of freedom so you can prep the next generation, don't let the antis get ahold of them first and twist their minds. Find literary inspirations too. Train yourselves to recognize tyranny and STAMP IT OUT MERCILESSLY at every opportunity.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
Old July 14, 2008, 11:23 AM   #10
BrunoNorway

Well we here in Norway don't have any 2nd amendment, so the government think we are to consider us lucky to at all have some weapons and that we should stop crying over it. the reason they do this is popularity, they say that ther is too many guns in the country (illegal), since they have very limited control over these guns they go after the legal guns. They pass a law that says you can't have more than 6 guns. Now they can go after the guns that used to be legal and then say, "this government has reduced the illegal guns in Norway with 30% in the last 4 years. Vote for us"

Makes me sick.:barf:

azsixshooter:
This new organisation will probably be a new hope for us. The older organisation is made up more of older people who don't have the energy to fight that hard anymore and don't care as long as they can keep that one rifle they have for moose hunting.
This new one will be more for young people with interests in competitive shooting like practical rifle, pistol and shotgun.

Hopefully this organisation will be the fresh blood we need to survive.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Last edited by BrunoNorway; July 14, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:45 AM   #11
rem870hunter

sounds to me like a few facists (nazis) are still there, and they got hold of some political reigns. illegal to have more than 6 guns,no semi auto rifles or shotguns. so whats gonna happen when the brown shirts come back and start kicking in doors in the middle of the night, rounding people up that have guns, shove them in trucks and drive them to trains? or just kick the doors in and shoot anything that breathes? there would be hell to pay should a law be put into place here in the U.S.. i highly doubt it would be passed but i am sure some political knucklehead has thought about it here.
Old July 14, 2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Creature

Quote:
The laws are passed but the public have not been informed yet.
That is the most significant sentence out of them all, in my opinion.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:08 PM   #13
Keltyke

Quote:
Please tell me what you think.
Bites rhino! Move over here, dude. You can have and carry all the guns you want in most states!
Old July 14, 2008, 01:12 PM   #14
hkg3

Quote:
The new laws say that you can't have more than 6 weapons
Well, that counts me out.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:31 PM   #15
LanceOregon

Well, you could consider yourself lucky. If you lived in Greece, for example, ownership of all rifles is banned. To own a pistol involves a lengthy permit process that includes that you be certified by a medical doctor, an eye doctor, and a psychiatrist. Any one of them can disqualify you.

And even if you pass all examines and background checks, the police only issue permits to about 5% of those who are qualified. For the permit is totally at their discretion to issue.

Shooters and hunters in Greece are thus pretty much limited to shotgun sports.

Old July 14, 2008, 02:23 PM   #16
BrunoNorway

I am seriously considering moving if not to USA, at least Sweden. They don't have as crazy laws as in Norway and everything is much cheaper there..

I am not moving to Greece. The laws wont take effect until the fall so i have a few months to go shopping and when they come for my guns i will give them the ammo first, one at the time, 2500ft/s.

By the way the public have gotten insight now but there was a lot of mystery the first couple of days and nobody knew anything.
Our justice minister, who made these laws claims to be a hunter and shooter, much like John Kerry did some time ago.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Last edited by BrunoNorway; July 14, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old July 14, 2008, 04:46 PM   #17
armoredman

C'mon, friend. But you might want to check about importing firearms when emigrating, wherever you go. THAT might be a bit of a bother...
Old July 14, 2008, 05:45 PM   #18
BrunoNorway

They have probertly taken my guns by then so it wont be a big issu. wont be long now...

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old July 14, 2008, 07:42 PM   #19
chris in va

Quote:
Well, you could consider yourself lucky
Not a personal attack, but that line of thinking is bad. He's not lucky at all, no matter what it's compared to.

He should be fighting this with everything they have at their disposal. Protests, demonstrations, email alerts...whatever. Once the erosion starts, it's almost impossible to reverse the effects.

There is no 'baseline' to compare when liberties are taken away.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:25 PM   #20
stevelyn

Quote:
Come over, Bruno, lots of room. Minnesota would feel like home to you, accent and all!
Hey Bruno, you'd certainly be welcome in Alaska. We have plenty of 'sens here that speak your language. Look in the phone book and nearly every name is Norwegian, Swede or Russian. With the climate, you'd feel right at home.

Hell, you might even find a relative or two here.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:29 PM   #21
azsixshooter

No, come to Arizona! We need help voting our loser Governor out of office! It's an embarrassment for a gun-friendly state to have such a horrible wench sitting in the Governor's office.
:barf:
Old July 14, 2008, 10:47 PM   #22
HoraceHogsnort

We have a lot of people here who think it'd be just jim-dandy if the US was just like Europe.
Old July 15, 2008, 01:24 AM   #23
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsixshooter
No, come to Arizona! We need help voting our loser Governor out of office!
I'll be there in three weeks, hold down the fort until I get there.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old July 15, 2008, 07:29 AM   #24
BrunoNorway

Well i realy dont consider myself lucky at all. Some of the organisations have started to do somthing, it remains to see how far they are willing to go, there is also a signing campain going on. WE WILL SE.

Hey guy you dont need to fight over me, it is enough bruno to go around for all.

If i wil move to the US, Alaska is verry tempting and then going south with Texas , Florida, Arizona, New Mexico and Hawaii coming in last becouse of the heat. (I think it is getting hotter in Norway also, global warming i sleep in a barn the whole year, by choise) California, New York and Washington wont be on this list. Are ther some other states you recomend i eksklude?

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Last edited by BrunoNorway; July 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old July 15, 2008, 07:38 AM   #25
azsixshooter

Illinois, Massachusetts, probably other east coast states. I don't even consider going anywhere on the eastern seaboard. Stay west of the Rockies and of course stay away from Kalifornia.