The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old July 15, 2008, 04:41 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Silencer

I have a p22, rem 700 in .222, marlin 891T in 22lr and soon to have Mini 14 in .223. I am under the impression these can all use a modifier meant for a .22. I am also under the impression that although the bullets are all very close to .22, they are not exactly the same. Whats the deal? Can they all use the same modifier/silencer?
Old July 15, 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
MisterWilson

You can shoot .22lr through a .223 silencer but it's not a good idea because of the lead deposits.

www.silencertalk.com is your friend.
Old July 15, 2008, 05:52 PM   #3
TPAW

Quote:
You can shoot .22lr through a .223 silencer but it's not a good idea because of the lead deposits.
It is not a good idea to talk about silencers on this forum at all. Anti gun liberals just love that!
Old July 15, 2008, 06:08 PM   #4
MisterWilson

You've got to be kidding me, right?

Oh goodness no! Let us alter our behavior as to not scare them.

If you were serious that may very well be the most disappointing thing I've read in a long long time...
Old July 15, 2008, 06:41 PM   #5
CowTowner

Try the correct forum

TFL has a forum for just these types of questions. It is the NFA Guns and Gear forum. The moderator may want to move this thread there.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 15, 2008, 08:39 PM   #6
MGRacer

The silencer is designed for the specific round. In general, you can shoot a round that has the same diameter and equal or lower pressure through a silencer designed for the higher pressure round. You cannot safely fire a .223 round through a silencer designed for a 22lr. It will come apart. As another poster has pointed out, it is safe to fire a 22lr through a can designed for .223 or 9mm or etc. However, I would not since the .22lr is a very dirty round that will deposit lead in your suppressor.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

silencer

Sir;
No legitamate sporting weapon or sportsman ever needs a silencer.
And, I agree it is improper and immature to post such on a public forum.
Harry B.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:44 PM   #8
oldcspsarge

Silencers are another form of hearing protection....I find it much easier to start primary pistol instruction with a supressed 22 pistol.

Allows shooters to talk normally to one another.

and LEGAL for hunting small game, varmints AND Big game here in Colorado !

They are LEGAL and a registered silencer has NEVER been used in a crime.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:48 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I enjoy my hearing. I also enjoy being able to hear cars, animals, and people around me while shooting. Wearing ear protection which pretty much eliminates my best sense drives me nearly insane. Also I sometimes forget to put it on for the first shot.

I posted this here not the NFA b/c it wasn't really about the legality of it or about the equipment itself(where to get it or which is best, etc.). more about the actual caliber of the bullets as pertains to the equipment.

Quote:
Besides, I thought Heller just decided firearms were not limited to sporting. No sportsman needs a 100 round drum magazine either.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:52 PM   #10
MisterWilson

Quote:
Sir;
Harry B.
Look friend, I don't know what kind of hand wringing liberal indoctrination you've suffered through, but implying that even DISCUSSING silencers is somehow improper and immature is grossly incorrect.

Not only are they legal in most states, but they're fun and useful.

Who's side are you folks on??? I suppose I don't need high-capacity magazines or guns that resemble military firearms either.

ETA: Harry, I see according to your bio that you work on accurizing rifles. I guess that it should come as no surprise that silencers are said to enhance accuracy as well.

Last edited by MisterWilson; July 16, 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Editing out noise, enhancing signal.
Old July 15, 2008, 10:00 PM   #11
MisterWilson

Old July 16, 2008, 04:28 AM   #12
swingset

Quote:
Sir;
Harry B.
Are you for real? Seriously?

Do you know that in many countries suppressors are considered "good form" because they reduce noise?

Do you know that many hunters, varmint hunters in particular favor their use because of follow-up shots on multiple targets?

Do you know that many people buy and use guns for reasons other than being a Fu.....err......sportsman?

If your post wasn't just trolling, which I suspect it is, you should be shamed off of this site for holding such a ridiculous opinion of a PERFECTLY legitimate firearm accessory.
Old July 16, 2008, 11:10 AM   #13
TPAW

Quote:
They are LEGAL and a registered silencer has NEVER been used in a crime.
I have nothing against silencers, but the above statement is a gross and ridiculous generalization and incorrect. I have vouchered a few during my 20 years in LE that were used in homicides, both legal and illegal silencers. I'm sure many other LEO's across this country have as well.
And yes Mister Wilson, I was being facetious. Regards, Dennis the menace.
Old July 16, 2008, 11:18 AM   #14
MisterWilson

Quote:
I have nothing against silencers, but the above statement is a gross and ridiculous generalization and incorrect. I have vouchered a few during my 20 years in LE that were used in homicides. I'm sure many other LEO's across this country have as well.
Registered ones?
Old July 16, 2008, 11:28 AM   #15
TPAW

Quote:
Registered ones?
Yes, generally one's that were registered and stolen during burglaries. A few by the registered owners. One that comes to mind is a guy who murdered his wife in the kitchen of his apartment in a multi dwelling building. Cut her up, bagged her, and buried her in a land fill. His was registered.
Old July 16, 2008, 12:08 PM   #16
MisterWilson

I mean no disrespect in asking but, cite?

Any public records info I could look into?

Thanks Much.
Old July 16, 2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Joey

Sir;
Harry B.

Talk about absolutely ridiculous, this just goes to prove that we as gun owners are our own worst enemy with people like Harry B pretending to be pro gun :barf::barf::barf::barf:

Hold your friends close and your enemies even closer & it looks like Harry B has more than defined where he stands when it comes to friends of gun owners.
Old July 16, 2008, 02:59 PM   #18
Scorch

In some foreign countries, suppressors are required for big game hunting, mostly to protect the hearing of professional guides and gamekeepers. Here in the USA, suppressors are typically banned for hunting game animals, but allowed in some areas for varmints and furbearer hunting. I don't have an opinion either way as to their ethical implications, but there are a lot of people (including gun owners and gunsmiths) who have never seen or handled a suppressor, and their only exposure to the equipment is negatively cast in movies. But I suppose you could say the same about guns. A suppressor is just a tool, it has no ethical implications, positive or negative. The person using it is the responsible party.

And just a general comment: calling people names or insulting them will never win them over to your point of view, and it offends others who might otherwise not have an opinion one way or the other.
Old July 16, 2008, 03:34 PM   #19
MisterWilson

Quote:
And just a general comment: calling people names or insulting them will never win them over to your point of view, and it offends others who might otherwise not have an opinion one way or the other.
Yup, that's why I had to edit out a great deal of my first post...
Old July 16, 2008, 03:58 PM   #20
TPAW

Quote:
I mean no disrespect in asking but, cite?

Any public records info I could look into?

Thanks Much.
I am retired now. I do not know the disposition of the case, or whether or not it has been officially closed. Not being in the loop anymore precludes me from gaining access to any official records concerning the investigation. Consequently, what information I do have, is confidential, and I am not at the liberty to discuss it. There was a brief story of the account in the local rags, NY Daily News, NY Times, NY Post, to name a few. If you wish to pursue the incident, those rags are a good place to start. Perhaps you can contact the NYPD homicide division at the NYPD headquarters building in lower Manhattan, NYC. The ATF based in lower Manhattan was also part of the investigation. Perhaps an inquiry to them would help. That's the best I can do for you.
Old July 16, 2008, 04:09 PM   #21
Zak Smith

Quote:
Sir;
Harry B.
You are factually incorrect and an enemy of shooters and the 2nd Amendment. That is all.

-z
Old July 16, 2008, 05:12 PM   #22
TATER

“And when they came for me, there was nobody left....”
Harry and TPAW.. Wow! Fellas.
Old July 16, 2008, 05:13 PM   #23
ZeroJunk

Illegal in NC period.

Quote:
10. any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is
included within this definition; and
I didn't think they were legal anywhere. I suspect that is what Harry was thinking also.

If you have a logical reason for their use other than covering a crime, such as ear protection or not aggravating the neighbors, fine. But, attacking Harry who probably knows more about firearms than most any ten of us shows your intelligence.
Old July 16, 2008, 05:36 PM   #24
TATER

Zero,
No attacks here. Just kinda let down is all.
You think you’ve gotten the feel of someone
through their posts over the years and they
pull a Jim Zumbo on ya.......
Old July 16, 2008, 06:22 PM   #25
Joey

If you have a logical reason for their use other than covering a crime, such as ear protection or not aggravating the neighbors, fine.

Why do I have to have a "logical reason" to own a can as long as they are legal in my state? Do I now have to have a "logical reason" to own a AR15, AK47, Barrett .50 cal "sniper" rifle?

Do I have to have a "logical reason" to have 2 cars, or 3 cars and a truck?

Give me a break here, your "logic" about this issue ranks right up there with the Brady bunch's anti gun reasoning.
Closed Thread