The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1
New_Pollution1086

Olympic Skeet Shooting

Hey all,
I was watching the olympics today, and skeet shooting was on, I was curious if any one new what gauge and shot size they were using? Or what brands they use. They looked like 20ga but my shotgun knowlege is limited.

I checked the olympic website and all they said was that it was a smoothbore shotgun.

Thanks
T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old August 11, 2008, 06:48 AM   #2
darkgael

Olympic skeet

I believe that they are using 12 gauge guns. The International Skeet load has a smaller shot charge than American skeet. I don't know what size shot; I'm guessing something like #9. Others may know more exactly.
Pete
Old August 11, 2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Musketeer

I'm amazed they are not forced to use airguns... Look at what they did to the Olympic Pentathlon which was a "soldier's sport." From Patton's 38 to the 4.5mm air pistol of today.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old August 11, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4
speakerguy79

My Dad's secretary was on the US Olympic skeet team last go-round. She just barely missed the cut for this year. She uses an ungodly expensive O/U. I'll ask her the details of the gauge and ammo next time I see her, but that won't be for a few weeks since Dad is on vacation. This is her:

http://shooting.teamusa.org/athlete/athlete/768
Old August 11, 2008, 04:03 PM   #5
LHB1

Skeet or Trap? My wife called me in to see the Olympic "Skeet" shooting on TV but what they were shooting was Trap. Five shooters firing at clays from a single central house with targets thrown in varying angles and elevations. Don't know if it was my wife or the TV announcers who misnamed it Skeet. Was this what you saw or did you actually see them shooting Skeet? I much prefer to shoot Skeet than Trap. Watching either is boring.
Old August 11, 2008, 04:48 PM   #6
PT111

Try this and see if it answers your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_shooting
Old August 11, 2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Jim Watson

ISU Skeet is shot with 12 gauge. The minimum shot size is 2mm which is kind of an undersize #9. I don't know the current load limit.

The birds are thrown faster than NSSA and are made of a harder "clay" to stand the launch. The shooter must start with a low gun, the butt visible below the forearm. He may not raise the gun until the target appears, and it has a random 0 - 3 second delay, not the immediate launch demanded here. International Skeet is HARD, which is why you don't see many Americans doing real well at it.
Old August 11, 2008, 04:49 PM   #8
darkgael

olympic skeet

Skeet is scheduled for 8/14.
Old August 11, 2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Wildalaska

Girl from Alaska took the bronze

Alaskan wins shoot-off for Olympic bronze
MEDALIST: Eagle River shooter, 21, makes the most of her first Olympic effort.

Anchorage Daily News and wire reports

(08/11/08 01:27:07)

Corey Cogdell of Eagle River became the first Alaska medalist of the Beijing Olympics late Sunday night when she won a four-way shoot-off for the bronze medal in women's trapshootng.

Daina Gudzineviciute of Lithuania, Elena Struchaeva of Kazakhstan and Japan's Yukie Nakayama missed before Cogdell hit the target to nab third place.

Cogdell, 21, was the youngest shooter in the finals.

She entered the finals one off the lead from the qualifying round, struggled early but finished strong, the only one in the finals to hit her last five shots, to force the shootout. It was a good performance from the Alaskan who finished 50th at the 2007 World Championships.

Cogdell, the only member of the U.S. women's trapshooting team, qualified for the six-woman finals by shooting with consistency during Sunday afternoon's qualifying rounds to advance to the finals.

Cogdell hit 23 out of 25 targets in all three rounds to finish with a score of 69.

The best score out of qualifying was a 70, posted by two shooters -- Zuzana Stefecekova of Slovakia and Satu Makela-Nummela of Finland. Stefecekova had a perfect 25 in the third round, the only 25-shot during qualifying, after firing a 24 and 21 in the first and second rounds.

Cogdell sat at 69 with two other shooters -- Gudzineeviciute of Lithuania and Struchaeva of Kazakhstan.

The sixth qualifier, with a 67, was Japan's Nakayama.

Cogdell has only competed in international-style trapshooting for two years. Her goal was to make the 2010 Olympics in London.

But she picked up the sport faster than anyone thought -- herself included -- and she secured the only Olympic spot for the U.S. women's trapshooting team.

She has twice picked up bronze medals for finishing third in international meets, once at a World Cup event in Korea -- her international debut -- and again at the Pan Am Games.

Codgell has been shooting guns since she was a little girl in Chickaloon, hitting tin cans from a distance of 50 feet.

Her family moved to Eagle River when she was still little, and her parents home-schooled Corey and her older sister Tanis.

She learned to shoot competitively at the shooting range in Chugiak.

"I just took to the game and got pretty good at it right away," she said earlier this summer.

Within eight months, she made the national team, then later was invited to live and train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Then came a bronze medal in her World Cup debut and a performance at the Olympic trials that earned her the trip to Beijing.

WildwaytogocoreyAlaska ™
Old August 11, 2008, 07:14 PM   #10
arizona98tj

You can catch the entire final round at www.nbcolympics.com, which is what I did this morning. I've been watching a number of non-televised shooting events on the internet.....which can all be found at the above link.

Cogdell was awesome in the shoot-off for the bronze medal. She drew the #4 position and so she watched all three before her miss their shot. If you miss, you are out (unless all miss and then another shoot-off round).

Talk about pressure.....all she had to do was hit her clay and she would have 3rd place....and so she did.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:17 PM   #11
CPTMurdoc30

Olympic skeet has not started yet. Olympic trap just finished up for both men and women. Women Finals were last night at about 3am EST.
Old August 11, 2008, 11:45 PM   #12
New_Pollution1086

My mistake it was trap, Ive never shot at a formal range so i didnt know the difference. The only way Ive ever shot clays is with a red thrower I bought, so I guess skeet.

thanks for the info though.
T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old August 13, 2008, 08:44 PM   #13
kerank

USA's Eller wins gold...

Glenn Eller of the USA won a gold medal in Double Trap.

Double Trap

Full Story

And Corey Cogdell of USA won bronze in Women's Trap.

Results

bio