The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 6, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
2cooltoolz

AR-15 Lower Parts Kits

Hi all,
Building my first AR. I want top quality/reliability but am doing it in small increments to stretch out the expense. Not a target rifle, but I won't be clearing crack houses either. Just a good solid plinker/SD/SHTF rifle/carbine (not sure yet).
So far I've purchased a Mega stripped lower and a LMT Bolt Carrier Assembly (out of sequence, but found a deal!) for the upper.
The QUESTION:
Is there a best Lower Parts Kit?
I don't want to pay for the NM trigger yet..I plan to use a JP spring kit on a Standard..then think about fancy match triggers later.
Some come with grips..I plan to go with a Ergo Sure Grip right off the bat.
DPMS/Doublestar/Rock River LPK's all seem to be in the same price range. Is there a difference in quality; tolerances; standard trigger included?
Thanks!
Old September 6, 2008, 09:31 PM   #2
tplumeri

check out post #52 on above thread.
a bunch of us went in on the group buy for lowers and I'm planning to get in on the group buy for parts kit. you can see the parts kit contents at the website

tom
Old September 7, 2008, 02:56 AM   #3
2cooltoolz

Already bought a MEGA stripped lower. Not so much concerned with a discount on a kit, or a complete lower package.
Just looking for advice on the relative quality of the parts kits for the lower assembly. I was pretty much locked in on Rock River, but the DPMS seems to be most popular, if you choose to wait on the match trigger.
Thanks!

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; September 7, 2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 7, 2008, 12:42 PM   #4
2cooltoolz

Oh well..based on reading other posts and other forums (mostly AR15.com) they seem to be about the same. Found a DPMS for $56 at Midway and bought it.
Old September 7, 2008, 12:45 PM   #5
freakshow10mm

Most LPKs from the AR companies are not made in house. They are bought piecemeal from spring, pin, and small parts suppliers. There is not much difference if at all between the manufacturers in general.
Old September 7, 2008, 05:18 PM   #6
rugerfreak

Have bought Rock River--DPMS and Bushmaster kits with no problems with any of them---they all seem similar in quality--probably all come out of the same place.

Usually change out the pistol grip with a Hogue---last ones I got were like $16 bucks from Midway.
Old September 7, 2008, 06:17 PM   #7
durian

I bought a DPMS as my first AR and then building my second.

This time I used a RRA LPK and also bought a match trigger.

I have to say that the RRA triggers are better for me than my stock DPMS. I liked it so much that I swapped the DPMS trigger in my first AR with the stock one from the RRA LPK. My match trigger is in my second AR build.

Crisp break on the match trigger - wow! The stock RRA trigger has less pull weight to me (and crisper) than the stock DPMS.
Old September 7, 2008, 11:23 PM   #8
RockyMtnTactical

Stag Arms.