The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
roc1

Best Case Trimmer

What is the best case trimmer available without breaking the bank?I have heard of the Giraud but have heard it is expensive?I have used the lathe type but really do not like them.I use the Lee now it is ok but is slow.I have been told by a cousin who uses Dillon that the electric trimmer really does not work that well on 223.I would like to speed things up if I am going to load the 223 for my AR.Hand trimming is ok for other calibers but will be to slow for the 223.I load pistol on my Hornady Ap and my Dillon presses.I do not ever trim pistol so it is no problem.I will load the AR progressive instead of Single Stage like other calibers of rifle.
Thanks for your input in advance
roc1
Old September 9, 2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Ninth and Plum

I recently bought a Foster original case trimmer, I just started using it and have mixed results with it. It works ok but I seem to have a hard time getting consistant lengths. I can't quite figure out why that is yet either, and it takes a little work to get the exact length I want to trim to. Also with the t-handle style of lock I think it may get old real quick but like I said I just started using it. I like the RCBS style with the lock handle, also the Redding with the micro adjustment screw but that one costs quite a bit more money as well. I sure other's with more experience can be more helpful, but hopefully it helped a little.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:24 AM   #3
sourdough44

I have gotten by fine with the Lee hand trimmer system loading most of my hunting quantity rounds, even higher number 223s. With the addition of my 204 I went trimmer searching since Lee does not do the 204. I bought a Wilson trimmer from Midway. Once you get the right length it goes fast enough for me. A few cranks of the handle & you are trimmed. The Wilson holds the case by the body & it seems like a more solid hold than those that use a case holder. The Wilson is not that much & is very well built.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:27 AM   #4
roc1

Thanks for the replies I have heard the Wilson was good might need to try it.
roc1
Old September 9, 2008, 07:13 AM   #5
Sevens

I have only my thoughts and observations and not a lot of experience with it, but I'll share it anyway. I've looked at and goofed with the RCBS trimmer and it seems solid enough, but compared to the LE Wilson, I just can't see where the hell the money goes. You are looking at like a hundo get the RCBS rolling. The Wilson trimmer shows up on Midway occasionally on sale for $25 and you need another $8 caliber specific part for it to get rolling, seems like a much better way to spend the limited funds. The LE Wilson sits in a bench vise, so if you don't have a vise on your bench, plan to get one. (not at all expensive)

The Giraud trimmer looks like a wet dream for case trimming but it's big bucks. I think if I were a high volume match shooter, there'd be no second thoughts and I'd order one. But I'm not, so I won't!

The Lee tools by comparison can be purchased with the change you dig out of couch cushions. That's what Lee is famous for-- nobody in their right mind would call the Lee system the best out there, but it's pretty ingenious for folks who don't have a lot of money to spend on different tools. My hands-on experience with Lee tools has been very good. Chuck the shell holder in to a variable speed drill and you can process brass quickly and effectively and though it still sucks to have to do it, it's a way to get it done. I use a big empty Rubbermaid tub to catch all the flinging brass particles and I trim right in front of the TV while sitting on the couch with the wife.

Right now, the Lee system gets it done for me. I've considered the LE Wilson system for an upgrade but haven't gotten that far. I trim .223, 8x57, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:02 AM   #6
sourdough44

One thing to add about the Wilson. It does say for most cases you need the specific 'case holder', about $7 or so I think. For some they list several cases that can be held with one holder. If the case is close it will hold even more, but may require more measuring as you trim. I use my 204 holder to trim 223 brass, I just have to measure the case more often since it does not hold to an exact length. I also just hold my hand over the trimmer as I trim, yes you can put it in a vice/holder but it isn't necessary.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
jmorris

If you are looking for speed the Dillon trimmer is going to be your best bet. 4000 .223 cases take about 2.5 hours nothing else even comes close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trimmer.JPG (60.5 KB, 2357 views)
Old September 9, 2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Scorch

Lyman Universal case trimmer. No collets or shell holders, just put a pilot on, put the case in the universal chuck, adjust for length and get to trimming. Very accurate and repeatable, very easy to use. I have mine mounted to a 10" X 6" piece of 3/4" plywood so I can clamp it to the bench or move it around easily.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:58 PM   #9
lcc123

I have used the Foster Original and the Wilson. Like someone else said, I could not get the Foster to produce consistent lengths. I like my Wilson. It is simple and consistent. I bought a mount for it from Sinclair rather than using a bench vise. All that said, I do not reload that much so I do not have a lot of cases to do and I am not sure how well the Wilson case holders work with straight wall cases.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:14 PM   #10
fourrobert13

Possum Hollow and the power adapter. Together they run like $35.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:18 PM   #11
hodaka

The Lee, of course, only gives you one length but it is the right length for 99% of applications. Chuck it into an electric drill or screwdriver and you have a fast, foolproof system. I only use my Lyman anymore for making Makarov brass out of 9mm.
Old September 9, 2008, 04:34 PM   #12
hivel37

I've use the Forster trimmer for years. Slow but good results.

Few years ago I aquired a Lyman powered trimmer which has been ok -- but the run-out has increased and now I'm thinking about the Redding lathe trimmer with micro adjustment.
Old September 9, 2008, 09:13 PM   #13
BigJakeJ1s

For good results with the Wilson, it is best to use the appropriate shell holder. The shell holders are cut with the same internal taper as the chamber of the rifle, only shorter, so that the cartridge base sticks out the back end, and the shoulder/neck sticks out the front end. The holder only makes sure that the case is centered on the cutter and the depth stop. If the holder does not fit the case taper, then it will allow the case to wobble off center. When the case is not on center, the depth stop and cutter do not engage the case evenly, and length variation can result.

Since the shell holder only holds the tapered body of the case, the same holder will hold any cartridge that is simply necked up or down from the original. For example, 30-06, 270win, 280rem, 35whelen all share the same holder.

Andy