The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Sturmgewehre

Review: Mastercast bullets

I recently ordered 1,000 bullets from Mike at Mastercast ([email protected]) after chatting with him here on TFL.

I was on the fence about ordering more bullets as I had just placed a large order with another vendor that I've used for years. But Mike shot me an estimate on the cost of the bullets and said "I'll just send them out to you, pay me when you get a chance". I thought, "what?"... I agreed. So the next day I sent him payment on his word that he mailed the bullets, which he did. They arrived this morning.

I've been shooting and reloading for many years. I'm one of those types of guys that gets into a groove and I don't like changing things. I used to compete in Cowboy Action Shooting (William Six Gunn) and had settled on Laser Cast bullets way back in the 1990's. They served me well and I have always had good results with them.

Lately I've been on the prowl to find lower cost bullets that are of the same or higher quality than the Laser Cast. My reason is that I'm trying to reduce the cost of shooting given the skyrocketing cost of ammo. I mostly shoot 1911's in .45 ACP so cost is on the upper end of the spectrum.

I've tried local casters and haven't been too impressed with the consistency or quality of the bullets. Most use scrap lead with an unknown content so they vary in weight and hardness. With that inconsistency comes inconsistent performance with your "pet" loads.

So, back to Mastercast bullets and Mike. I received my shipment of .45 ACP 200gr SWC bullets early this morning via USPS. I feel sorry for my poor mail lady, it had "32lbs!!!" written on the box by another postal employee. I took the box back to my loading room and began my inspection.

First I weighed several bullets to find out how consistent they were in weight. They ranged from 200.7 to 201.3. That's pretty darn good.

Next up I measure the diameter of several bullets, and every one of them was spot on at the advertised diameter of .452".

As a nice touch, Mike included several samples of his other .45 ACP offerings. As you can see from the following picture, he has a nice selection of .45 bullets.

After checking them out I decided to load up 300 rounds of my favorite load on my Dillon 650. 300 rounds only takes a couple of minutes on a 650, so I cranked them out pretty quickly so I could get to the range.

I seat the bullets to an OAL of 1.250 and add a taper crimp of .470. Mike says to use a crimp of no more than .473-.474. I've always had good luck with the .470 setting, so I went with it. I seated the bullets on top of a 4.6gr charge of Bullseye powder. I use Winchester WLP pistol primers.

Off I went to my local indoor range to fire some ammo out of my Springfield TRP at 50ft (about 17 yards). Now, I'll admit I'm not the worlds best shooter. I can hold my own, but I'm more of a steel plate shooter than I am a bullseye shooter. Here's a sample of the targets I shot today.

All of my groups hovered around the 1"-1.3" range. I always fire 5 shot groups. I was shooting two handed slow fire at a standard 50ft NRA bullseye target. That's about the best I ever do, so the bullets certainly held their own. I would say they are capable of better accuracy than I am.

I didn't see any signs of severe leading in the 300 rounds I fired. Everything checked out perfectly.

At $80.52 shipped for 1,000 rounds of 200gr bullets I am impressed. I had my bullets in just 3 days after ordering them and they're every bit as good as the Laser Casts I've been shooting for over a decade.

I can say with confidence I can recommend Mastercast bullets to those looking for low cost and high performance bullets.

Last edited by Sturmgewehre; October 4, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old October 4, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
0-16

Great review. I am also shooting some of Mike's bullets in my STI. The first time I talked to him about his bullets and the problems I was having shooting 200swc that I had bought from a local dealer. Mike was very helpful and answered alot of questions I had about reloading. He offered to send me some 200rnfp bullets at no cost. Called him back and told him how pleased I was with the bullet. Ordered a 1000 200 rnfp and he also sent some of his 200 swc to try at no extra charge. I had a chance to shoot the swc this week. They worked well in my STI. The OAL was 1.250 with 5.1gr. of solo 1000. Mike makes a great bullet.
Old October 4, 2008, 07:42 PM   #3
WSM MAGNUM

There were discussions in the past about Mastercasts bullets, but someone has to bash him about his comments all the time.
I buy his .45 200 grain SWC`s, and .45 225 grain TCFP`s. Both shoot great and I can an average of 1" groups at 50 feet. I posted pics on another thread using my Kimber TLE II.
So far I found I get better groups using 5.0 grains of W231. I am going to try other loads to see if I find one more accurate.
I`ll keep buying Mastercast as long as he stays in business.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old October 4, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Sturmgewehre

I don't buy into a lot of the Internet drama stuff. I contacted Mike about his product and the man couldn't be more helpful and insightful about reloading and his products. He is passionate about his product, and I respect that. When you have something good, you want to tell people about it. He obviously puts his heart into making bullets.

He's earned my business.
Old October 5, 2008, 05:52 AM   #5
ShootingNut

+1 for Mike

Another extremely satisfied customer. I have received very personalized service, including phone calls just to talk about a feeding problem in my 1911.
Yes, he does care about his customers. Am waiting for an order now, as some calibers were not available due to his recent health issues.
Best regards,
SN
Old October 5, 2008, 06:01 AM   #6
under_dawg

I have been using 158 gr rnfp Lasercast bullets for a couple of years in my .357 GP-100 with Trail Boss. The price (like everything else) is going past my comfort zone. Are Mike's lubed and ready to go just like Lasercast's bullets?

Last edited by under_dawg; October 5, 2008 at 06:02 AM. Reason: added type of gun and powder
Old October 5, 2008, 07:15 AM   #7
ShootingNut

dawg

Yes, they sure are, and I think you will be as pleased as I am with his products! Nice hard lead, very little to no leading of the barrel, with consistent (as we are) accuracy.
Regards,
SN
Old October 5, 2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Sturmgewehre

Yup, they're lubed and as ShootingNut mentioned, they are hard and don't lead your barrel.

In this pic you can see the lube on the bullet.

Old October 5, 2008, 03:22 PM   #9
under_dawg

Looks like Mike's da man! I'm going to be giving him some business as soon as I run through the rest of my Lasercast. Everyone seems pleased with his product.
Old October 6, 2008, 11:00 AM   #10
crazylegs

I've been buying his bullets for several years now. I've tried others in the past and there is absolutely no comparison. Mike's bullets are the best. I can tell the guy takes a lot of pride in his product. A+ bullets and proprietor. I do wish he'd refrain from comments about the competition or other posters. He's above that crap.
Crazylegs
Old October 6, 2008, 05:55 PM   #11
ShootingNut

Crazy

Why not tell it like you feel, Mike isn't some Yahoo talking out of his rear end, he does know what he is saying. Granted, it may sound a tad strong some times
But, I like that about a person. That's why I enjoyed John McCain's speach today, tell it like it is.
Regards,
SN
Old October 6, 2008, 11:28 PM   #12
MASTERCAST.COM

crazylegs

Do you, are do you not, want someone to expose a substandard product?

I have the intestinal fortitude to do that......most do not.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:06 AM   #13
floydster

Would someone define intestinal fortitude, I havn't heard that term in years.
Is it something like having BALLS?
Thanks,Floydster

By the way, Mike, do you have any 124 gr. 9mm TCN's on hand?
Old October 7, 2008, 11:51 AM   #14
tomh1426

That would be testicular fortitude.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk thats never seen anything but Mikes bullets.
Old October 7, 2008, 01:30 PM   #15
noelf2

Means he has the guts to tell it like he see's it, no matter who takes offense. Some people like straight talk, some don't. Also means he doesn't have a future in politics, but hey, he sells bullets (better to know him than a politician anyway).....
Old October 7, 2008, 04:56 PM   #16
vytoland

Mastercast = Great Service, Great Products, Great Prices.
Old October 8, 2008, 05:55 AM   #17
ShootingNut

Vyto

Plus, the Diplomatic advice that you can take or leave, depending on Your intestinal fortitude!
SN
Old October 8, 2008, 08:50 AM   #18
Yoosta B. Blue

For those of you who are keeping score...

Please put me in the WIN column when it comes to using Mike's bullets. I've ordered several times from him over the past year or so. He has been extremely helpful to me in lots of ways, which has included giving me tips and insights about reloading. You can be sure that I will continue to do business with him. In my humble (but accurate) opinion, Mike is ALREADY BACK from where lots of other vendors have not yet been.

Yoosta B. Blue
Old October 15, 2008, 05:22 PM   #19
Sturmgewehre

UPDATE:

So, I've finished firing the first 500 rounds of my 200gr SWC bullets. I am happy to report I have very little leading.

The following picture was taken today after 500 rounds of not cleaning my Springfield TRP. I ran a bore snake through the bore once before taking this picture so I could get an idea of how much lead might be in there.

There's a little leading around the lands, but very-very little. I should be able to rub that right out of there.

The loads I'm shooting aren't weak sauce either, they are 4.6gr of Bullseye which is in the upper 800fps range. They are full power loads.

Here's some more 50ft targets fired with the TRP and Mike's 200gr SWC's.

Old October 15, 2008, 07:08 PM   #20
floydster

Absolutely amazing, you should be shooting at Camp Perry.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:13 PM   #21
Sturmgewehre

Ha, thanks... but I choke when in the face of true greatness (competitions). Put the targets out at 25 yards and there's some mental barrier I can't conquer. The groups open way up. So I shoot at 50 feet and pretend I'm a pro.
Old October 19, 2008, 09:23 AM   #22
orionengnr

Just for clarity, aren't there two Master Cast bullet manufacturers in different states? And aren't they both run by guys named Mike?

Which one is it that we are talking about here?
Old October 19, 2008, 09:36 AM   #23
ShootingNut

Orion

Yes there are, we have been referring to the Mike at
www.mastercastbullets.com
located in Carbondale, Ill.
Old October 19, 2008, 11:02 AM   #24
orionengnr

Thank you!
Old October 19, 2008, 01:08 PM   #25
45Marlin carbine

I ordered some .32acp slugs from Mike awhile back. they shoot as good as the Hi$$ Speer fmj's I was loading for my Beretta and very little clean-up. .32acp slugs are hard to find, lots of makers for .32 revolvers.
the .380acp slugs I bought also shoot great.
good slugs at a good price.